Would a Dawes Karakum be a reasonable donor bike for use when using an e bike conversion kit.

Simon Lightning

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 13, 2015
Hi all
I am considering aquiring a Dawes Karakum for use as a donor bike for an e bike conversion kit.

So I am wondering if anyone has used the same bicycle and were they happy with the conversion?
It will be a gents frame, 700c wheels and 700 x 32C tyres. It has an alloy frame but steel forks as standard.
It will be for a 10 mile round trip into Norwich (so mainly flat terrain) with the ocassional longer round trip of about 35 miles. I am used to a front hub motor and happy with it. I anticipate mounting the battery on the down tube. I am 64 years old, weigh about 13 stone and ride a few miles each day on either an old e bike or an ordinary bicycle.
I won't fit a throttle ( are they illegal anyway? ) and so won't need brake sensors.
Thank you in advance for any helpful comments.
Regards Simon

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hello Simon,

Your Karakum is straightforward to convert with an XF07 front hub and a downtube battery.
For a 20 mile round trip, you'll need about 5AH so anything from 10AH will do. If you want to explore your project with a Woosh kit, please email kits@wooshbikes.co.uk

Simon Lightning

Sep 13, 2015
Hello Simon,

Your Karakum is straightforward to convert with an XF07 front hub and a downtube battery.
For a 20 mile round trip, you'll need about 5AH so anything from 10AH will do. If you want to explore your project with a Woosh kit, please email kits@wooshbikes.co.uk
Hello
Thank you very much for your information, I am very impressed withthe very helpful and clear Whoosh website. I will be in contact soon.Kind regards Simon

Reactions: Oldie and Woosh

Moecycle

Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2020
From what I can tell that frame doesn’t have mounts for disk brakes. That’s something I always look out for in a donor frame.

Not sure how powerful a motor you’re going with, but something to consider.

I converted a Dawes Discovery with a YOSE 350W kit and was very pleased with the results. I personally think rear-wheel drive is the way to go.

Good luck!

Simon Lightning

Sep 13, 2015
From what I can tell that frame doesn’t have mounts for disk brakes. That’s something I always look out for in a donor frame.

Not sure how powerful a motor you’re going with, but something to consider.

I converted a Dawes Discovery with a YOSE 350W kit and was very pleased with the results. I personally think rear-wheel drive is the way to go.

Good luck!
Hello
Thank you for your advice.
The Karakum uses V brakes and although not as powerful as disc brakes I think for my light loading and low speeds the V brakes will do. The motor would be 250W. What advantages would a rear wheel motor have over a front hub motor please.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Hello
Thank you for your advice.
The Karakum uses V brakes and although not as powerful as disc brakes I think for my light loading and low speeds the V brakes will do.
I would agree, for sure decent hydraulic disk brakes are good to have, safer no doubt, but I would definetly not be put off by a lack of disk brakes. Rim brakes on wheels of that size are in use all over the World and have been for many many years.

A million 16" wheel Bromptons have been built, they have rim brakes.