Would it be hard to ride my e-bike while wearing filtered earplugs? Is it legal?

LarryNeff4eva

Just Joined
Aug 26, 2020
So... I have a hearing condition called Hyperacusis which is sensitivity to certain frequencies of sound. I usually reach around 30 to 40 kph and the wind noise is not that much but it does makes me a bit irky. The car horns also gives me earache and goosebumps. I recently got custom filtered earplugs from Big Ear but I'm not sure if it's a-okay to wear them but I tried them once and they really helped a lot. Just want to make sure if wearing them would be illegal or not.

Hovlev2

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2020
Wearing earplugs is unlikely to be illegal- I'm sure there are lots of deaf people driving around. I think it's down to what you're comfortable with. If you can still hear what's going on around you, ie sirens, car horns etc, then I can't see a problem? If, however, it filters too much stuff out, it could be dangerous. Having said that, there are loads of people who wear headphones whilst driving cars, which I think is infinitely more dangerous.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Driving with headphones can be considered “driving without due care and attention” or even “dangerous driving” and can result in prosecution.
That's not true I'm afraid. You can drive whilst wearing a helmet, headphones or earpieces, use a hands free bluetooth set to hold a conversation, blast out your music choice, and even be deaf whilst driving. All without penalty or lawful impediment. :)

Edward Elizabeth

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Buckinghamshire
It is no offence whatsoever. I'm deaf in one ear (Injury acquired in Iraq) and the DVLA have applied no restrictions to my licence. Completely deaf people are the same - safe and legal to drive or cycle.

In a bicycle the effectiveness of your hearing degrades quite quickly as you move into double digit speeds, more so if you wear a helmet, so you're unlikely to degrade your hearing meaningfully as that is already happening thanks to the slipstream. Indeed, a recent study in America demonstrated that simply driving a car with the windows wound up contributes to auditory exclusion to a far greater degree than a cyclist wearing headphones experiences. Therefore, the Federal government followed the evidence that there was little or no safety penalty and declined to ban the practice. Here in the UK it has never even been considered by lawmakers.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So... I have a hearing condition called Hyperacusis which is sensitivity to certain frequencies of sound. I usually reach around 30 to 40 kph and the wind noise is not that much but it does makes me a bit irky. The car horns also gives me earache and goosebumps. I recently got custom filtered earplugs from Big Ear but I'm not sure if it's a-okay to wear them but I tried them once and they really helped a lot. Just want to make sure if wearing them would be illegal or not.
Definitely not illegal in any way, indeed it can be recommended on two wheels. Because wind noise at speed is very damaging to hearing even within a crash helmet, motorcyclists routinely wear ear plugs and have done for many years. And police motorcyclists wear their wireless earplugs.

Last edited:

davell

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Doncaster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
May not strictly be any law making it illegal but can still get you into hot water
Not so, that is the usual nonsense innuendo that ROSPA routinely puts out. Just look at this extract and my comments below:

"In the UK, it is not specifically illegal to drive while wearing headphones, but if the police believe a driver was distracted or not in full control of their vehicle, the driver could be stopped and penalised (3). Rule 148 of the Highway Code also states that safe driving and riding needs concentration, and therefore drivers and riders should avoid distractions such as loud music that could mask other sounds. "

No driver can be stopped and penalised by the police for wearing headphones. You see note (3) after that statement? It specifically refers only to the use of mobile phones while driving, an entirely different matter and an example of ROSPA's usual blatant dishonesty in their propaganda.

And the Highway Code is not law.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
ROSPA are doing a bit of scare-mongering, but what they say is sort of right. If someone were to have an accident of some sort due to their negligence in some respect - say they dropped their phone and was trying to retrieve it from under the seat while they were driving. When being questioned about it under caution, rather than admit their stupidity, they try to mitigate their negligence/ recklessness by saying that the reason they had the accident was that they were put off by their loud music. In that case, the police would have clear grounds for prosecution.

It reminds me when I was young a friend had a motorbike accident because he was messing about with something and ran straight into the back of a parked car. Rather than admit his stupidity, he came up with the excuse that he must have blacked out. He didn't get prosecuted. Instead, they took his licence off him on medical grounds. IIRC, it was a minimum of two years before he could reapply, and when he finally got the all-clear from his doctor, he had to explain to the insurance companies about it, so his insurance went right up as well.

Reactions: LarryNeff4eva

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Ive used a homemade version of “cat ears”, they cuts out a lot of wind noise.
nothing more than a pice of fluffy material wrapped around the front helmet strap
.E75E4A0B-4F3B-456B-B8B5-298EFEFD115D.png

And for the winter I Made a triangular version that reduces noise and keeps my ears warm
857305CE-0528-4CCE-8ABE-9F6D2A6199BF.jpeg

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
It's a bit confusing as I can see that even you guys are divided on whether or not it's legal.
It's absolutely not illegal. I'm still using a pair (on my motorbike) that I was given at a police stand at a motorbike show last year.

Police riders use hearing protection. If they weren't offered it as part of their job, their employer (the police) would be in breach of H&S legislation due to long-term exposure to high noise levels.

The question you need to ask isn't "is it legal" but "is it sensible".....

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Edward Elizabeth

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Buckinghamshire
It's a bit confusing as I can see that even you guys are divided on whether or not it's legal.
It's not confusing - show me legislation that specifically outlaws the wearing or headphones while driving or cycling.

They can't show me, because there is no such legislation.

Ergo, it is not unlawful.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

Namastebuzz

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 27, 2020
To the OP - there's nothing wrong or illegal about riding with earplugs. Most motorcyclists do it every time they ride.

As someone else pointed out - deaf people ride/drive/walk/cycle perfectly happily.

I frequently cycle with loud music in my ears and, as a result, sometimes choose to make extra visual observations in lieu of the fact that I can't hear any other road users.

If you just remind yourself that you can't hear as well as normal with the plugs in and act accordingly, then you'll be fine. :)