Would you pay for a test ride?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You could end up spending a fortune testing bikes before finding the one you like.
Those who live in more remote locations often have to spend a lot of money to try out e-bikes. At one e-bike show I went to, some I spoke to had travelled as much as 150 miles to get there. Most had driven but at least one family of three had travelled a long way by rail.

Either way very costly.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
http://www.ecycleuk.com/customer-testimonials

they will let you take a bike home for a week to try it as well tho imo a deposit is required 1 guy had a haibike race bike for a week but never bought it as was to expensive tho think that was on there fb page some where a while back ;)

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I bet it has! Maybe A&E should take a leaf out of their book, £50 a visit would soon get rid of the cut finger and splinter brigade who overload them with trivial complaints.
Of for goodness sake don't give them any ideas.

• :D

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
The systems needed to administer and collect the £50 would cost more than the £50 so it will never take off. Make it £150 and maybe. But then seriously injured people or sick may be put off

As for self harming. That's a serious mental condition.

But keeping on track. I'd be put off paying for a test ride. As for car demonstrators. They are heavily subsidised by the manufacturer. Now there's an idea.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Of for goodness sake don't give them any ideas.
The systems needed to administer and collect the £50 would cost more than the £50
Collecting from the odd difficult ones wouldn't be critical, it's not about making money. The point of the charge would only be to deter the trivial complaint brigade who apparently can't put a plaster on a cut, pull out a splinter or rest a sprain overnight.

• Agree
Reactions: BigG

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
As always this would be a tax on the stupid with money with the stupid poor not paying.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
How many dealers out there spend half a day with a customer explaining, demonstrating and test riding? Then to have the customer, full of new found knowledge, trot off to order the type of bike you sell online or somewhere else for £50 off. Worse, they show up on your door expecting service because you are a dealer. That fee for your time does have some merit but sadly may be counter productive. Darned if you do, darned if you don't :(

• Agree

fatwomble

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2017
Southampton / Winchester
How many dealers out there spend half a day with a customer explaining, demonstrating and test riding? Then to have the customer, full of new found knowledge, trot off to order the type of bike you sell online or somewhere else for £50 off. Worse, they show up on your door expecting service because you are a dealer. That fee for your time does have some merit but sadly may be counter productive. Darned if you do, darned if you don't :(
But that's just how things work.

We spend thousands tendering each Project we want to win (and sometimes those we don't, for fear of upsetting a potential future client), sometimes the Project we are tendering doesn't even go ahead.

• Agree
Reactions: E-Wheels and flecc

basicasic

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2017
Amsterdam
That's the nature of business though I'm afraid. I shudder to think of the countless of hours I've spent over the years on quotes for jobs I didn't get.

But I do know that if I hadn't made the effort on every one of them I wouldn't have got the jobs I did get.

I can pretty much guarantee that if I'd been charging £50 to quote for a job I wouldn't have invited to tender for anything.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
The systems needed to administer and collect the £50 would cost more than the £50 so it will never take off. Make it £150 and maybe. But then seriously injured people or sick may be put off

As for self harming. That's a serious mental condition.

But keeping on track. I'd be put off paying for a test ride. As for car demonstrators. They are heavily subsidised by the manufacturer. Now there's an idea.
Interestingly.. just trying to remember the gist of s conversation about the new scott brose which went something like..
You can test ride it around the car park but we don't have a demonstrator as yet.
Pefhaps suggesting that scott specifically may supply one, rather than use new stock!

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Atmosphere Electric bIkes in Bristol have just bought a fleet of Wispers for exactly this reason. The are for extended test rides, a great idea.

They charge a few quid for a day or half a day's hire and refund if the customer buys. If making an investment in a new ebike, especially if it was for daily use, I would think most people would find a day's cycling to get used to the bike and understand the controls would be invaluable.

All the best, David

D

Deleted member 4366

Interestingly.. just trying to remember the gist of s conversation about the new scott brose which went something like..
You can test ride it around the car park but we don't have a demonstrator as yet.
Pefhaps suggesting that scott specifically may supply one, rather than use new stock!
Most of the distributors offer demonstrator bikes to dealers. The arrangements are different from different distributors, but it can be something like one demonstrator per 5 bikes ordered. The demonstrator bikes have extra discounts, so at the end of the season, the dealer can sell it at a substantial discount and still make a small profit or a small discount and normal profit.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes