WTF happened to 50cycles?!

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011

I know they had some issues but the Snaith boys seem to have actually gone crazy now...

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
He just ranted on about covid precautions, which he thought were over the top. Personally, I didn't find it irrational apart from the very end, where he explained disadvantages of wearing a mask, based on what I believe to be false information floating around the internet.

Just for anybody else, I was recently in hospital with lungs full of blood clots. My oxygen level was therefore continuously monitored for a day or so. I can tell you that it makes absolutely no difference whether you wear one of those blue papery masks or not, because I tested it. I can't say it's the same for other masks, but if you're worried, use those blue ones that you get free at the supermarkets and hospitals.

• Agree
Reactions: Swizz and MontyPAS

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I think the face coverings give you a little protection, maybe a few minutes when you get into a shop. If you stay more than 10 minutes, it becomes pretty useless.
It can't match a good ventilation system though.
I leave my doors fully open when there is a caller.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I think the face coverings give you a little protection, maybe a few minutes when you get into a shop. If you stay more than 10 minutes, it becomes pretty useless.
It can't match a good ventilation system though.
I leave my doors fully open when there is a caller.
The main point of masks is not to protect you but to protect others by reducing the distance that you can expel microscopic droplets

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The main point of masks is not to protect you but to protect others by reducing the distance that you can expel microscopic droplets
Masks should be totally banned worldwide. We're all agreed we have a severe overpopulation problem which is still getting worse, yet here we are trying to make it even worse yet.

China is the one country that has long been trying to do something about it. First they had their one child policy which has stabilised their population at 1.4 billion after it had been inexorably heading for 2 billion. Now with Covid-19 they are trying to help the rest of the world to deal with it, only to be met with an ungrateful attitude!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well what did happen to 50 cycles ?
The sheer scale of the problems with the Impulse motor units that Kalkhoff were fitting overwhelmed their agents 50cycles. With Kalkhoff and the motor's makers Daum unable to come up with any adequate solutions and for a while inadequate backup from Kalkhoff, 50cycles had no way out. Some while later Kalkhoff started a rolling warranty, meaning that no matter how many times the motor was changed to a new one, each still had a fresh two year warranty. That was good, but it came far to late to undo the huge damage done to all concerned meanwhile.

50cycles have restarted since selling other makes Site Link

Last edited:

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
He just ranted on about covid precautions, which he thought were over the top. Personally, I didn't find it irrational apart from the very end, where he explained disadvantages of wearing a mask, based on what I believe to be false information floating around the internet.

Just for anybody else, I was recently in hospital with lungs full of blood clots.
Wow had no idea. I hope you are doing okay x

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Wow had no idea. I hope you are doing okay x
Thanks, I'm a lot better now. I managed a 35 mile bike ride the other day. I'm OK as long as I don't pedal too hard. Fitbit is handy for monitoring heart to make sure I don't overdo it. It was weird - one day I was OK and the next day I couldn't walk 10ft. I thought I had the Chinese plague, so I battened down the hatches to weather the storm, but nothing changed for 5 days, then I figured out what was wrong. Apparently, it was a bad case and might have killed me if it weren't for my strong heart from cycling.

Reactions: Swizz

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
I thought I had the Chinese plague, so I battened down the hatches to weather the storm, but nothing changed for 5 days, then I figured out what was wrong. Apparently, it was a bad case and might have killed me if it weren't for my strong heart from cycling.
Sounds nasty! Good to hear you seem to be over it now. So do you know what caused the clots in the first place ?

Reactions: Swizz

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Sounds nasty! Good to hear you seem to be over it now. So do you know what caused the clots in the first place ?
No, it's a mystery. Normally, you'd get them after an operation or injury, but I didn't have anything like that. Doctors aren't like engineers. When engineers see a problem, they solve it by finding the cause. Doctors solve by treating the symptoms.

Reactions: flecc
Sep 13, 2020
Thanks, I'm a lot better now. I managed a 35 mile bike ride the other day. I'm OK as long as I don't pedal too hard. Fitbit is handy for monitoring heart to make sure I don't overdo it. It was weird - one day I was OK and the next day I couldn't walk 10ft. I thought I had the Chinese plague, so I battened down the hatches to weather the storm, but nothing changed for 5 days, then I figured out what was wrong. Apparently, it was a bad case and might have killed me if it weren't for my strong heart from cycling.
Tough call mate. Glad you're OK now.

Cycling obviously stood you in good stead to fight the illness.

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
No, it's a mystery. Normally, you'd get them after an operation or injury, but I didn't have anything like that. Doctors aren't like engineers. When engineers see a problem, they solve it by finding the cause. Doctors solve by treating the symptoms.
Give an engineer a 'black box' that he can't take apart (the human body), tell them they've only got 10 minutes to solve the problem, and they'll do the same as the doctor.

There's not a lot wrong with the average NHS doctor that long term funding couldn't fix.