Xiongda 2 speed motor has died

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Hi

I bought a xiongda motor a few months back and after 750km it has stopped working. I am trying to determin why with Bonnie at Alibaba but currently getting pretty poor explanations from her as to how to open the motor as this is the next thing she has asked me to do. So far we seem to have elimated the problem being anything to do with the battery, controller or lcd.

I have removed the freewheel (thanks d8veh for the tool!) But now faced with not quite knowing how is the best way to open the motors casing. I saw d8veh's thread here: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59369 but unsure as to whether you can screw in any size bolt as long as the correct diameter? I have been told it gets extra tight after the motor has been used so does anyone have advice of how to do it and what to watch out for?

I thought i would update on here as to what the diagnosis is for the motor as people will no doubt be interested.

Cheers.

Last edited:

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
Hi

I bought a xiongda motor a few months back and after 750km it has stopped working. I am trying to determin why with Bonnie at Alibaba but currently getting pretty poor explanations from her as to how to open the motor as this is the next thing she has asked me to do. So far we seem to have elimated the problem being anything to do with the battery, controller or lcd.

I have removed the freewheel (thanks d8veh for the tool!) But now faced with not quite knowing how is the best way to open the motors casing. I saw d8veh's thread here: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59369 but unsure as to whether you can screw in any size bolt as long as the correct diameter? I have been told it gets extra tight after the motor has been used so does anyone have advice of how to do it and what to watch out for?

I thought i would update on here as to what the diagnosis is for the motor as people will no doubt be interested.

Cheers.
Sorry to tell you but I have 4 xiongda motors. 2 are burned.3rd one low speed gear doesnt work.The fourth is still working but makes A LOT of gear noise.The idea is brilliant but the motors need a redesign.A lot of trouble with them imo.The worst part is that the motor /48v 15amp) gets very hot in low speed gear even if I keep pedaling over 10 kph.On the same hills my neo cross motor is just hand warm

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Sorry to tell you but I have 4 xiongda motors. 2 are burned.3rd one low speed gear doesnt work.The fourth is still working but makes A LOT of gear noise.The idea is brilliant but the motors need a redesign.A lot of trouble with them imo.The worst part is that the motor /48v 15amp) gets very hot in low speed gear even if I keep pedaling over 10 kph.On the same hills my neo cross motor is just hand warm
that s why i go dd now

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The idea is brilliant but the motors need a redesign.
totally agreed.
Woosh were probably the first supplier interested in their XD motors a couple of years ago and subsequently dropped the idea after their test bike locks up in reverse. If you are stuck, contact Woosh, they can service the XD motor for you.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I have not opened the XD motor, so treat what I am saying here with caution. The XD motor has a sscew-on lid, there may be a grub screw on the side of the lid to stop the cover from spinning loose.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59369
Once you undo the lid, you will have access to the gearbox.

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
I linked that endless sphere post but my question is do i remove all 3 screws and then put in any length bolt with a hex head on top or do i need to worry about the length of the bolt i put in?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I think the 3 bolts connect the lid to the gearbox, so yes, you remove them first then screw one back in for about 5mm/turns. Give to the spanner a sharp tap as on the picture, that should unscrew the lid, enough for you to unscrew it completely by hand.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
So instead of stripping gears you break spokes and rims and get lots of punctures ;):p

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Leafbike 1000W 90% efficiency on 20" wheel. Heavy but stronger and no gears!
Do they offer them on 22" magnesium solid rim?

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
I think the 3 bolts connect the lid to the gearbox, so yes, you remove them first then screw one back in for about 5mm/turns. Give to the spanner a sharp tap as on the picture, that should unscrew the lid, enough for you to unscrew it completely by hand.
I done what you said but no luck turning it. I managed to slightly bend the screw that came with it trying to lever with the spanner. I then put in a different much longer bolt and just totally bent that too.

Hmmm....this is pretty tight!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
that's unlucky. I don't know what to suggest other than two bolts and two longer levers.

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
I done what you said but no luck turning it. I managed to slightly bend the screw that came with it trying to lever with the spanner. I then put in a different much longer bolt and just totally bent that too.

Hmmm....this is pretty tight!
The motor is very hard to open after used for a while.You need to make some kind of device with at least two holes best if you make three holes and fasten it to the motor screw holes.Then you need at lot of momentum.I used a 1meter long pipe.It still was difficult.
If you understand my english ;)

Reactions: handbaked

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Right, OK, I see. Didn't realise it would be quite that difficult. Every hurdle to this bike is a massive one!

felix

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2008
Right, OK, I see. Didn't realise it would be quite that difficult. Every hurdle to this bike is a massive one!
Hi handbaked. Try heating around the edge of the plate using a hot air gun before using too much brute force. This worked for me when I changed the grease inside my motor. Tip originally courtesy of D8veh

Reactions: handbaked

handbaked

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Hi handbaked. Try heating around the edge of the plate using a hot air gun before using too much brute force. This worked for me when I changed the grease inside my motor. Tip originally courtesy of D8veh
Unfortunately i don't have a hot air gun. I am going to make a tool to try and open it.

How many km's have you done on your xiongda? And have you had problems?

felix

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2008
Pity about the hot air blower, It certainly made a difference for me. I had got to the stage where I was using a such a long lever that the pin was bending and likely to cause damage to the thread.
I've just 're read the earlier part of this thread and noticed you were trying longer pins through the side plate. Be careful that these are not screwed right through the side plate and into the motor body when trying to undo it, as this will lock the assembly up.

I'd guess mileage is around 500 so far, no problems so far, just changed the grease about 100 miles age for some synthetic, following advise from the forum. A few spokes have had to be tightened probably due to general settling in and the quite high torque put out in low gear. Other than that I have been careful to avoid undue backward rotation of the wheel as there is an occasional tendency for the pawls to catch slightly but without locking up. I don't find this a problem at all but I think that owners should be aware and treat the motor sympathetically.

Having semi dismantled the motor I'm confident that If the worst were to happen to the gears, I would be able to fit replacement parts myself and they do seem to be readily available.

i hope you have success with your repair, keep us posted. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Garrydog