Xiongda two speed whistle

drsolly

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2014
My motor has done about 2500 kilometers, and I've been very pleased with it.

Lately, it's developed a whistle. This only happens in the low gear, and only when I apply power. Can anyone guess what the cause might be, and do I have to take action?

My guess is that this has to be to do with the clutch.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Whistle is a new one to me.Might be the clutch.Mine Clonks when you change from high to low and back again underload.And my clutch always rattled.The day mine broke it was worse it had ever been.when I dismantled the couch for cleaning I found just one spring here
in this drawing I can see 3.
Yona said 1 is fine.Was it you Trex that said it would be hard to set the spring rate to stop both sets of gears from operating at the same time.I did not like the feel of the operation.I Streached it a bit.I now only get a slight rattle occasionally.But I don't know if that's down to what I did to the spring or the snake oil I'm using.

drsolly

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2014
Hmm. Is there an easier way to take the motor apart than unlacing the whole wheel?

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
I made this out of some bits of scrap.one of the 3 holes is out,but it does the job.

Reactions: trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
You don't need to take the hub out of the wheel to do this.
I wonder if this method would work better with a second bolt at the fulcrum?

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
I wonder if this method would work better with a second bolt at the fulcrum?
Yea I should think so.I made my tool because I was not happy hiting the spanner when it was resting on the freewheel thread.A second bolt should stop that.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My motor has done about 2500 kilometers, and I've been very pleased with it.

Lately, it's developed a whistle. This only happens in the low gear, and only when I apply power. Can anyone guess what the cause might be, and do I have to take action?

My guess is that this has to be to do with the clutch.
d8veh found an issue of inadequate grease causing noise in his original purchase of the Xiongda, commencing in low gear only, so maybe that's at the root of the noise. On his Xiongda thread there's many posts referring to this grease problem, starting with this post.