Yaay - New Bike Day!

Lakester

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 20, 2020
Cornwall
Boo - Flat tyre on the first evening!

Bought a Trek Powerfly 4 LT this afternoon. Really looking forward to getting to know the bike better. Happy with the feel of how it rides so far, but obviously not happy with a puncture on Ride #1; a fairly tame local one, at that. Probably a pinch or a thorn, but on a 5 mile ride could be anything I suppose.

Have been riding MTBs for 25 years, sticking to roads is NOT my cup of tea! Tend to keep bikes for a long time so my 2008 Gary Fisher xCal 29er has served me well. Have drooled over full suspension bikes for a while, eMTBs for not quite as long but have studied a fair few. I was definitely ready to take the plunge and visited Bike Chain in Reduth today to “browse”! The Powerfly 4 LT got my attention from the start and I left the shop with it about 2 hours, and one test ride, later.

From this (1999) :

To this (2008) :

Now this:

Attachments

Reactions: Atlav4 and Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Out to a local spot yesterday. needed a couple of stops to pump up the front tyre, leak’s not catastrophic out and about but does go completely flat over about 4 hours. Quite a lot of grins! :D

View attachment 36312
At least it's slow puncture, luckier than me on one occasion.

I'd received a badly preprepped mail order e-bike with a very soft front tyre so proceeded to pump it up, only to get a huge bang as the tube blew out into ribbons. Unbeknown to me it had been pinched under the tyre bead on the opposite side.

So I had to jump in my car and tour three bike shops before I found the right size tube. :(

Hope you get years of enjoyment from yours.

• Agree
Reactions: Lakester

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
dump the tubes and go tubeless not had 1 flat tyre in 5 years. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: Lakester

Lakester

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 20, 2020
Cornwall
At least it's slow puncture, luckier than me on one occasion.

I'd received a badly preprepped mail order e-bike with a very soft front tyre so proceeded to pump it up, only to get a huge bang as the tube blew out into ribbons. Unbeknown to me it had been pinched under the tyre bead on the opposite side.

So I had to jump in my car and tour three bike shops before I found the right size tube. :(

Hope you get years of enjoyment from yours.
Just about to jump on it again as the sun’s shining, the air is clear and there’s a lovely local hill or two to be climbed on Father’s Day!
Luckily my LBS had a tube in stock yesterday, so I’ve at least got one if things go pear-shaped this afternoon.