Yet another turn any bike into an E-bike motor

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
Kinda looks like an attempt to bring one of these into the 21st century.

I wonder how efficient it is once tyres get muddy/wet That kind of unsprung weight hanging out the front can't be good.

TTFN
John.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
I seem to remember something like this in the early days of mopeds, using a petrol engine. Does any one remember it?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I seem to remember something like this in the early days of mopeds, using a petrol engine. Does any one remember it?
Pretty much Snafu's picture above. One of our teachers had one.

Another teacher had a bubble car with front opening door and no reverse gear (no reverse meant it was taxed as a motor cycle at a lower rate in those days); he drove it too far into his garage and couldn't open the door or back out; had to be rescued by his wife when she realised. (?or maybe when she stopped laughing?)

• :D
Reactions: 01wellsd

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A friction drive that looks more like an enclosed chainsaw mounted.

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020

Another teacher had a bubble car with front opening door and no reverse gear (no reverse meant it was taxed as a motor cycle at a lower rate in those days); he drove it too far into his garage and couldn't open the door or back out; had to be rescued by his wife when she realised. (?or maybe when she stopped laughing?)
I remember those bubble cars, in fact I even thought about buying one. Some of them did have reverse gear, but I believe you needed a car driving licence for them, whereas, without the reverse gear a motorcycle licence was sufficient.
A few days ago, I was looking at pictures of Renault Twizy ans Citroen Ami. They reminded me very much of those bubble cars.
I have sad memories of another version, Messerschmidt I think. Like a small aircraft cockpit with passenger sitting behind. It had very tiny wheels and sat very low to the road. A college friend owned one but was involved in a fatal accident.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That was the French Velosolex, slightly faster than our e-bikes, limited to 30kph, almost 19mph. A staggering 8 million of these were made.

Most of these front opening bubble cars here were the BMW Isetta, actually an Italian design which was manufactured under licence by many companies in many countries around the world,

I remember those bubble cars, in fact I even thought about buying one. Some of them did have reverse gear, but I believe you needed a car driving licence for them, whereas, without the reverse gear a motorcycle licence was sufficient.
The one with the reverse gear was the German Heinkel Kabine. It also had a sunroof which acted as an emergency escape hatch if trapped in by the front opening door. That Heinkel was also manufactured under licence here in Croydon by the Trojan company who for many years made small cars and vans

I have sad memories of another version, Messerschmidt I think. Like a small aircraft cockpit with passenger sitting behind. It had very tiny wheels and sat very low to the road. A college friend owned one but was involved in a fatal accident.
Yes that was the Messerschmidt Kabinenroller, side tilting perspex canopy. All these bubble cars were around 200cc two strokes.

The English Bond Minicar made in Preston was a similar concept but more car like with side by side seating. At first 122cc but later 197cc.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and sjpt

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
I remember many years ago when I was in my teens walking along the road with a friend we stopped by one of those Bond cars. My mate said watch this, looked up and down the street to make sure no one was about then hooked his fingers under the side by the door and lifted the whole vehicle up in the air !
We were only about 15 yrs old at the time but it just showed how light it was. He did place it back down slowly again afterwards, just a bit of mischief.

Reactions: flecc

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
That was the French Velosolex, slightly faster than our e-bikes, limited to 30kph, almost 19mph. A staggering 8 million of these were made.

Most of these front opening bubble cars here were the BMW Isetta, actually an Italian design which was manufactured under licence by many companies in many countries around the world,

The one with the reverse gear was the German Heinkel Kabine. It also had a sunroof which acted as an emergency escape hatch if trapped in by the front opening door. That Heinkel was also manufactured under licence here in Croydon by the Trojan company who for many years made small cars and vans

Yes that was the Messerschmidt Kabinenroller, side tilting perspex canopy. All these bubble cars were around 200cc two strokes.

The English Bond Minicar made in Preston was a similar concept but more car like with side by side seating. At first 122cc but later 197cc.
I remember being given a lift in a Bond, around 1960 -1, and I did not like the experience much, as a single tyre in the front, has to do all the steering and most of the braking, and the car IMHO "leans" too much. Then having a kick start under the bonnet simply made it even worse .....
If only 3 wheels, then two at the front are much better for both braking and steering!
Here are pictures of both, including my current polaris-slingshot.jpgfavourite, the Slingshot!
I am at present making a gravity car for my Grandson, which is taking a long time due to COVID, but that will also be two front wheels and one back, all pumped up really hard to reduce roll resistance. Wish us luck!
I also like watching the TV program with the Red Bull sponsored events, as I learn a lot just by observing!! One front wheel is simply unstable in my view...Even Morgan in the 1930s had two front wheels....and one rear!
Enjoy
Andy

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There was Clive Sinclaire's Zeta drive

and also this one:

D

Deleted member 33385

Kinda looks like an attempt to bring one of these into the 21st century.
View attachment 40176

I wonder how efficient it is once tyres get muddy/wet That kind of unsprung weight hanging out the front can't be good.

TTFN
John.
I'd love it if this was easily made legal! I looked into something similar a few years back and the legal hurdles seemed absurd, given that it's a greener form of transport than using a car. Current legislation for personal powered transport is totally unacceptable, out of proportion and out of control, particularly so during this pandemic - when sharing any enclosed space is potentially deadly.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
I had a BMW Isetta in 1967 a LH Drive 300cc assembled in Brighton . It had an opening roof luckily , to let the fumes out . The drive wheel at the back was the same size as that of a MINI 3.50 X 10 . It failed an MOT with too much play in the splines of the drive shaft . A Pal and Myself spent a couple of hours cutting brass shims to fit the splines to take up the slack and it passed . I paid £50 for it and sold it a year later for the same with about 40 people clamouring for it . Awful thing , replaced it with a Mini .

D

Deleted member 33385

It had an opening roof luckily , to let the fumes out .

....that's a much more convenient route to suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning - no need to run a hose from the exhaust! I wonder how many people fell asleep at the wheel? Perhaps we should make a Freedom Of Information request to find out!

There is more reason now that ever before for small, efficient transport and I look at the general trend toward of larger and larger SUV type vehicles on the roads with dismay. Even the new minis look like mini SUVs!

Last edited:
Reactions: mike killay

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I look at the general trend toward of larger and larger SUV type vehicles on the roads with dismay. Even the new minis look like mini SUVs!
It's largely a population problem. As a young adult in the late 1950s I was 5' 7" weighing 10 stones and was average. Now people have grown so much vertically, laterally and in weight that they can't fit in yesterday's cars that were only 5' wide.

So over the years cars have steadily grown, just compare the width of the Humber Pullman over a 30 years span, showing how old this problem is:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
In the 1960s I had a Triumph TR2. Loved it.
A few years ago I tried to hop into a restored one.
What a struggle!
Obviously I have grown over the years, or the car shrunk.

D

Deleted member 33385

It's largely a population problem. As a young adult in the late 1950s I was 5' 7" weighing 10 stones and was average. Now people have grown so much vertically, laterally and in weight that they can't fit in yesterday's cars that were only 5' wide.

So over the years cars have steadily grown, just compare the width of the Humber Pullman over a 30 years span, showing how old this problem is:

Dinosaurs were wiped out by a obesity and diabetes pandemic... a massive extinction scene, horrible to behold... lit by the glow of a gigantic asteroid explosion, while simultaneously having their brains fried by electromagnetic currents induced through their spines by a Coronal Mass Ejection (it's a controversial theory). Towards the end of the dinosaur civillisation, they too got so fat, they couldn't fit into their cars made of genetically encouraged giant termite vomit (biodegradable advanced dinosaur tech, of which there cannot be any fossilised proof ) side by side anymore either - confirmation in the fossil record of dino-cars, trains and planes is yet to be unearthed. I'm heading the expedition, once this blasted pandemic is over...

Last edited:

Trickyh

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 16, 2021
" light as a laptop" but doesn't actually state the weight.. I smell a rat. Probably the worse place on any bike to add 3-5 kilos to. Fantastic endo machine though;)