Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)

Attachments

Last edited:

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
After reading the thread above, I decided to put a Yose 350 rear hub kit onto a Spanish Mondraker for a "stealth" build, and I like it a lot!

The down tube battery has been fitted to a rear frame, the mounting doubles as a torque arm. Mounting the PAS sensor was tricky due to oversized down tube & derailleur on the seat tube, PAS disk is easily knocked out of position but is easily moved back.

The display is badged as Yosepower Y02, is this different to the KT lcd3 as I can't access the Pxx or Cxx menus using lcd3 instructions? Am I missing something obvious?

After my first ride (85km on first charge!) I’d like to change the speed "trigger points". I can set max speed OK. Assist #5 triggers when speed falls below max. Speed has to drop lower to trigger assist #3. Assist #2 is lower again. Ideally I'd like assist #2 to trigger as soon as speed falls below max. Is this possible?

Things I now know: "sans charger" in the advert means a basic charger made by Sans, not "without charger".
The freebie toolkit (Allen keys & casette hub tools) was helpful, no need for a crank puller as the split pas disk fits without removing the cranks.

Last edited:

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Just a quick update as today marked 500kms (in just over 3 weeks), the bike is very smooth but some of the system configuration is not the way I’d like it.

The good news is I’ve found a few new beaches - some just 3 miles away.
Sun is out, bike is working well, I’m happy !

Attachments

Reactions: Gliggsy

tunznath

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2019
Well spotted!!, I think they are bottle tops glued/fixed into grips. Do you remember when it was 5.6% Vol? Happy dayso_O
Yes , just checked its 5.2% now they sneaked that past me in the last 12 years! Buggers,
They may be proper grips they are Portugal flag colour , muito bo m!

tunznath

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2019
Well spotted!!, I think they are bottle tops glued/fixed into grips. Do you remember when it was 5.6% Vol? Happy dayso_O
If they are tops glued into the grips I have 2 cases in my Loja - (shed ) waiting to donte themselves, weird that here they prefer Sagres

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
I’m in Algarve, choice here is 50/50 split between SuperBock and Sagres. Bock has a malt taste similar to the dark beers I like in the UK.
Grips are diy from a cheap bar towel and some bits of scrap plumbing pipe.
Bar ends are same, caps glued onto plugs that fit inside the bars.
Just for fun :cool:

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: wheeliepete

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
The bike is in regular use. Pic shows the kit, collecting 2x 5ft lights, inflatable paddle board on the back rack, and at a nearby pond. All good fun :cool:

Attachments

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
I finally got the package of bits a mate in the UK had been collecting together for me - the new tyres are obvious, and my “ convert Lishui to KT” bundle is near complete - I just need a LCD3 display or similar (pm me if you have a spare ;) )
Tyres link https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?i=merchant-items&me=AG47RZXX5HVAF&rh=p_4:CURIO+UK
ECFE3A69-0662-4E3A-8FFF-79013A0B5163.jpeg

The new tyres run a lot faster with less effort, great for the B-roads I’m normally using. I also found both my original tyre gauges were reading 15psi low so I’ve been running under 40psi - that with soft grippy tyres would explain my regular punctures. Oops :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Today was my last big ride before I return to the uk next week, but it was something a bit special ;)
I’ve now been to the west-most point of Europe and it’s lovely :cool:
85km round trip running at 10A max
07F0D219-033D-4788-B1DF-C62657919240.jpeg

The lighthouse at the corner of Europe ( Cape St Vincent @ Sagres)
FC2CFCDC-7CDF-4A85-8B84-F63FC895AF57.jpeg

Lunch was a well deserved hour on the beach at surfers paradise in Sagres
26238236-4719-4A45-8CB1-2F339B66B5E2.jpeg

Costal fortifications in this area are amazing, this is Forte Beliche
B8C9BEF0-0E61-4E36-A8AD-7E30055D7AA6.jpeg

Now I just need to decide what to do with the bike, leave it here for next time or take the motor kit back to uk and put it on a more suitable bike. Decisions :confused:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
It looks to me as if Lisbon is well west of Cape St Vincent , and Estoril even more so. Even the westmost point of Spain is. (not to mention Ireland and Iceland, but perhaps you meant mainland Europe?)

A bit like Land's End which isn't the southmost or the westmost point of British mainland, but is the the most southwest.

Still, being westmost isn't that important; it looks an excellent place to go and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Last edited:

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Today was my last big ride before I return to the uk next week, but it was something a bit special ;)
I’ve now been to the west-most point of Europe and it’s lovely :cool:
85km round trip running at 10A max
View attachment 38539

The lighthouse at the corner of Europe ( Cape St Vincent @ Sagres)
View attachment 38540

Lunch was a well deserved hour on the beach at surfers paradise in Sagres
View attachment 38541

Costal fortifications in this area are amazing, this is Forte Beliche
View attachment 38542

Now I just need to decide what to do with the bike, leave it here for next time or take the motor kit back to uk and put it on a more suitable bike. Decisions :confused:
Looks stunning. How I've missed my annual European bike tour holiday this year :-(

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
@sjpt
it looks like you're right, either something got lost in translation or the locals grasp of geography is as hazy as mine.

Regardless, Sagres is worth a trip for the views & beaches.

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
For anyone thinking of doing a conversion, I found the Yose kit very easy to fit and great value for money (but I notice the price has gone up from the £360 I paid earlier in the year to £430 now)

Contents of the kit
E28530F2-61CB-4222-87AF-64CBCC38B2B4.jpeg

My main issue is that the kit has a speed-control system by Lushui, if I was buying again I’d choose a current-control system by KT for better control (and more efficient use of the battery power).

Philg93

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 9, 2019
My main issue is that the kit has a speed-control system by Lushui, if I was buying again I’d choose a current-control system by KT for better control (and more efficient use of the battery power).
Have to disagree - I much prefer speed control as used in my (2019) Swytch conversion
Up to 9 (OK overkill) fully programmable levels - I just set to ~12.5mph at the start and rarely need to adjust it again.

Use of battery power? - 90 mile ride in the (admittedly flatter areas of the) Cotswolds and less than 100Whr battery used.

BUT!!

Yosepower's current offering of the Lishui is hopeless - 5 unadjustable levels with a high RPM motor means for UK/EU legal use (25kph limit) levels 3,4 and 5 are basically the same = just 2 speed levels???

This is unacceptable IMO and smacks of penny pinching by Yose - either give us the ability to adjust the speed (RPM) levels or (preferably) supply low RPM (201) motors for the markets with 25kph limits.

Given that, KT kit is preferable and I won't be using Yosepower again.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Have to disagree - I much prefer speed control as used in my (2019) Swytch conversion
Up to 9 (OK overkill) fully programmable levels - I just set to ~12.5mph at the start and rarely need to adjust it again.

Use of battery power? - 90 mile ride in the (admittedly flatter areas of the) Cotswolds and less than 100Whr battery used.

BUT!!

Yosepower's current offering of the Lishui is hopeless - 5 unadjustable levels with a high RPM motor means for UK/EU legal use (25kph limit) levels 3,4 and 5 are basically the same = just 2 speed levels???

This is unacceptable IMO and smacks of penny pinching by Yose - either give us the ability to adjust the speed (RPM) levels or (preferably) supply low RPM (201) motors for the markets with 25kph limits.

Given that, KT kit is preferable and I won't be using Yosepower again.
You can switch a KT controller between current control and speed control in the settings.

Basically, you're saying that you set the speed so low that it cut the power, so you were pedalling without assistance for most of those 90 miles. You can do the same with the KT controller by selecting level zero. the only difference is that you have to push a button or twist a throttle when you come to a hill.

The main difference between the two systems is that with current control, you can pedal as hard or as easy as you want to maintain any speed you want as long as your system has enough max power. With speed control, your pedal effort is much more dependent on the system, and, of course, you always waste power when accelerating form a start.

Philg93

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 9, 2019
I haven't tried switching my KT controller - I saw it in the LCD3 menu but wasn't sure if the controller needed to match before it worked - are you sure about this?

Agreed but the difference is that between the relatively 'flat' Cotswolds and the very unflat Exmoor where I live the PAS setting for speed control is the same - set to 12.5mph and leave it. On a flat or reasonably undulating terrain I wouldn't use the e-bikes anyway.

Around here where it is a constant up and down, 'pushing a button' is a virtually continuous activity - high assist to get up the hills and then back down again. It's a bit like driving an automatic v manual car - if you like fiddling around then fine, I don't, but each to their own.

Wasting power whilst accelerating is a fair (though very minor) point against speed control but must be balanced against the unnecessary waste of power before turning the assist off when not needed - with speed control it's automatic.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I haven't tried switching my KT controller - I saw it in the LCD3 menu but wasn't sure if the controller needed to match before it worked - are you sure about this?

Agreed but the difference is that between the relatively 'flat' Cotswolds and the very unflat Exmoor where I live the PAS setting for speed control is the same - set to 12.5mph and leave it. On a flat or reasonably undulating terrain I wouldn't use the e-bikes anyway.

Around here where it is a constant up and down, 'pushing a button' is a virtually continuous activity - high assist to get up the hills and then back down again. It's a bit like driving an automatic v manual car - if you like fiddling around then fine, I don't, but each to their own.

Wasting power whilst accelerating is a fair (though very minor) point against speed control but must be balanced against the unnecessary waste of power before turning the assist off when not needed - with speed control it's automatic.
P3=1 is current control and P3=0 is speed control. It's as simple as that.