Yose front motor problem

TJS109

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2017
Glos
Hi,

My yose front hub motor has developed a ticking sound when running.
It only occurs when powered and does not seem to be dependant on motor power selected.
It seems to occur 6 times per revolution.
I have checked the spokes and some are slightly loose but I am a bit reluctant to play with them too much.
The bike has not been used for 18 months, so perhaps a bearing has dried out?
Any suggestions welcome.

Tim

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi,

My yose front hub motor has developed a ticking sound when running.
It only occurs when powered and does not seem to be dependant on motor power selected.
It seems to occur 6 times per revolution.
I have checked the spokes and some are slightly loose but I am a bit reluctant to play with them too much.
The bike has not been used for 18 months, so perhaps a bearing has dried out?
Any suggestions welcome.

Tim
If it has a disc brake, remove the caliper and test it again to confirm that the noise is coming from the motor.

Spokes don't make a noise when the wheel is in the air, so it should be easy to eliminate that as a cause.

If it still makes the ticking noise only when the power is turning the wheel, the wheel is in the air and the caliper is removed, that's when you need to open the motor. Nearly all noises come from outside of the motor.

A common problem inside the motor is when a speed sensor magnet becomes detached, but in that case the speed display becomes incorrect by 20% or 100%. depending on whether you have one or six magnets in it.

TJS109

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2017
Glos
Thanks for that.
No disk brake and the noise persists when the wheel is in the air.
So it looks like I will have to investigate the motor.
I something has come adrift it is a bit strange as it has not been used for so long.

Tim

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks for that.
No disk brake and the noise persists when the wheel is in the air.
So it looks like I will have to investigate the motor.
I something has come adrift it is a bit strange as it has not been used for so long.

Tim
It could be just a bit of rust, especially if the noise came after a period of not being used. In that case, just wait and see if it wears off. How did it start?

TJS109

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2017
Glos
It could be just a bit of rust, especially if the noise came after a period of not being used. In that case, just wait and see if it wears off. How did it start?
It started normally and runs well without any obvious problem, seems normal apart from the sound.
I think I will give it a good run and see if it wears off before attempting any dismantling.