Help! Yose power 250w

Joes5

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 12, 2022
Norway
Hello all , newbie here. I would like to build a electric front end kit to my existing bike. I have read the forums a little and have come up to the yose kit. The problem is that I do not know if the yose power 36v 250w front hub is enough for me. I like to go 20-22mph unassisted with my bike now and I would like to keep the same speed but just assisted. So will the 250w front hub do, or do i need to start looking something else altogether? Battery wise I would go 36 v 10.4ah or 15.6ah . Also I am wondering if the max speed is restricted to 15.5 mph as that is written on their website.
I have internal gear hub in the back and the axle width is not common so I find it troubling to find back ehub, so I have opted for the front. Generally speaking I am looking for something fairly simple and relatively inexpensive, but if need be I can put in some more money.
Thanks already for your input!

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
You cannot have assistance above 15.5 mph and legally ride your ebike as a pedelec under regular bike laws. It becomes an s-pedelec under moped laws; you need registration, number plate, insurance, motor bike helmet etc, and you can't ride it offroad in public places. However, as you will see in many other threads, the risks of being caught and prosecuted are very low.

It depends on the exact controller whether it can be modified (eg by firmware settings) to allow faster speeds. 22mph may be optimistic on a 250w nominal motor. You'll be pulling quite a bit of power unless you do almost all the work yourself, and so a bigger battery will be needed to give any decent range, and as well as biggish capacity it needs to be able to deliver a decent current. A motor rated above 250w will also bring you into the s-pedelec/moped category.

Joes5

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 12, 2022
Norway
You cannot have assistance above 15.5 mph and legally ride your ebike as a pedelec under regular bike laws. It becomes an s-pedelec under moped laws; you need registration, number plate, insurance, motor bike helmet etc, and you can't ride it offroad in public places. However, as you will see in many other threads, the risks of being caught and prosecuted are very low.

It depends on the exact controller whether it can be modified (eg by firmware settings) to allow faster speeds. 22mph may be optimistic on a 250w nominal motor. You'll be pulling quite a bit of power unless you do almost all the work yourself, and so a bigger battery will be needed to give any decent range, and as well as biggish capacity it needs to be able to deliver a decent current. A motor rated above 250w will also bring you into the s-pedelec/moped category.
Thanks for the reply!
The legal stand point does not worry me, let's just say that I would ride close roads. So would I be better off with 350w motor? To be honest, I wouldn't be much more comfortable bigger than that in the front fork from safety/durability perspective. And the weird dimensions and IGH doesn't really allow for rear ehub. Do you have any better kit suggestions? Power or kit wise, as I am completely clueless (which you can tell).