Yose power built in controller wiering

Terraverde

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 3, 2019
Hi!

I have two yosepower rear hub kits with the controller built in on the support battery rack.

Is it possible to plug the head and tail lights in this controller?

If someone has done this wiering I woul apreciate some information about how to do it.

Thanks!

Regards

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It will be possible but depends on the voltage rating of the lights.

For 6v the integrated controllers doesn't have support for lights with the supplied 1 -4 bus cable, but you can buy a 1 - 5 bus cable that has extra 2 pin (Red) julet for a front light (6v). Wire the rear light in parallel or try using a KT light horn switch, you will have to do some soldering/wire splicing.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Okfeet-1-in-5-bus-cable-5-to-1-wire-waterproof-controller-light-function-ebrake-throttle/3521021_32889386220.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.6.3463180ejMAYsL

For light voltage greater then 6v you will have to feed extra v+ & v- from the controller via a switch and inline fuse, then wire front and rear in parallel.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Terraverde

Apr 3, 2019
Thank you for your reply and sorry for my poor english in advance.

Ok, I can make some cuts and soldering too. I am confortable about it.

My controller (inside the battery suport) has 3 wires comming out.

1 - Rear hub engine

2 - PAS sensor

3 - Front "things"

that splits in:

3.1 2x brakes cut off
3.2 Thumb Throttle
3.3 Display
3.4 Button (up+on/off+down)

So I am not sure where to fit the cable you mentioned before on the link you gave me.

Also I have a function on the display that turns on and off the lights. Maybe I can get this signal from the controller to open/close a relay?

Thank you one more time.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You can't use the LCD to switch the lights because your controller doesn’t have that function.

The only thing you can do is cut open the LCD cable to find the 36v wire, then use that to power 36v lights via a switch, but it's not really worth the effort. If you want to run 36v lights, it would be better to splice into the main battery wires. If you want to use any lights other than 36v ones, you need to step down the voltage with a dc/dc buck converter.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with any of that. You can get some really good battery lights. You need to charge your bike, so it's nothing to charge your lights battery at the same time.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If not keen on separate lights then you have no choice but to open the controller (4 screws) and solder a pair of wires to the existing battery discharge connections inside the controller, you only need to use thin 20/22awg silicone wire as little in the way of amps will be drawn. Silicone wire will deal with voltage up to a bout 400/600v, poke them through the rubber grommet at the back of the controller.

On the v+ outside of the controller place an inline mini fuse holder with 5a fuse and then connect both v+ wire ends to a switch.

If as stated the lights are only 6v rated then you will need a step down DC/DC buck converter if lights are rated 12 -80v or similar then they will have an inbuilt buck converter.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
On my local commute errand bike I don't bother with separate lights and use fixed lights, front and rear are 12 - 80v rated so simple to wire in via the switch I linked to and uses the KT controller with lights output.
My Swizzbee's both have oem fixed lighting and my other bikes I use battery lights if required.

Terraverde

Apr 3, 2019
Hi!

Thanks for your answers.

I have rechargeble external lights but for me, it's better to use lights with the bicycle battery.
I know it has disadvantages but if it's possible I prefer to do the wiring.

I can open the controller and see if I can identify the wires you have mentioned. If not, I will upload a photo of it.

So you say that I must open the controller, find out the v+ wire, sold a wire, (insert in this wire a fuse) that then goes to a button (on/off switch), is that it? And then I will connect the lights through that switch. I probably will use a 12v/60v lights because it is easier to conect.

Is that it?

Thank you.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You will need to solder two wires, one to the V+ & one to the V- terminals . Make sure they are long enough and the red one can reach the switch wherever it is placed.
Fit a cheap toggle or push switch after the fuse from the controller on the V+ line.
Switching only needs to happen on the V+ wire with a fuse in line, all needs to be water proof.

With the lights fitted, parallel/join the Gnd/v- wires together and T them off to the controller V- wire and parallel/join the v+ wires together and T them off to the switch directly or the wire from the switch.

Put the battery on the bike and test all works.

Waterproof handle bar switch.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WUXING-Head-Light-Switch-22-2mm-Handlebar-E-Bike-Razor-Scooter-Motorcycle-Ebike/282652783619?hash=item41cf6b3403:g:oV8AAOSw6NhZuhOq

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Switch-For-motorbike-Electric-bike-Universal-12v-DC-1pc-Waterproof/303007586629?hash=item468ca8d945:g:j~4AAOSwaiBcIRQZ

Last edited:

Terraverde

Apr 3, 2019
Thank you! I now have a clear idea on how to proceed. I order the materials online it will take at least 3 weeks to arrive here. I will try to buy the items at the local market. More expensive but faster. The only doubt I have is to identify the correct v+ and v- once the controller is opened. I will use a multimeter to check the correct wires. In case of doubt I will upload a photo here. Maybe I will use a 2 or 3 amps fuse and I decided to put a DC/DC to output a 12V eletric output for the lights.
When I bought the yosepower kit, the second one, I asked if they have a controller with the lights output. They said they had but it was not the same as the built in controller and that it didn't fit on the battery support rack. So I have made the option of having the controller integrated. It's a more "clean" installation.
I will update you with progresses.
Thanks to you I will go ahead with this small improvement.

Thanks one more time.

Regards

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Internally V+/V- pins should be wired with correct colours Red/Black or pcb will be marked.If your lights are 12-60/80v then they will already have a step down converter inside if they are solely 6 or 12v only you will need a step down converter.

The stand alone KT controllers have a wired light outlet for direct connection via the switch.

Terraverde

Apr 3, 2019

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Tomorrow I will open the controller and based on your tips, I will try to identify the correct wires. Meanwhile I have found this on e-bay:
Found what ?
No link !!!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That light will not require a step down converter as it is already rated for dual voltage.

Terraverde

Apr 3, 2019
Yes, I know. I ordered the DC/DC step down converter just in case I will change my mind and install a "fixed" 12V lights.
I have a lot more options in choosing head and tail lights if I make a 12V instalation. I guess that's because the most usual is that voltage.