Yosepower 250w 36v front hub

PatM

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2009
Maidstone Kent
Hi all- i decided to do some hub maintenance on one of my bikes that makes a bit of a squeeking noise , which Ive long suspected is the disc, but Ive never really nailed it.
I bought and fitted this kit in July- to an unused ally-framed MTB. For anyone whos not seen these kits, they are basic and do the job legally- Ive not yet found a way to go beyond the 25kpmh but I get a resonable workout on this bike.
Ive read before about the lack of lubrication, so I thought Id pull the hub, just to check- and share the pics with you all.
Not enough lithium grease in my view, so I greased the planetary gears and ring.

The clicking, I dont think its the hub now and suspect it is the disc which is slightly warped and possibly heats/distorts when its in use. Its a minor annoyance but Im sure I dont have a hub issue now Ive had it apart.

One thing that prevents me putting a new disc on is the hub has an adapter place for the disc- clearly an afterthought -as its so thin and being ally- the threads dont lend themselves to be tigtened too much- so I loctited them, to be on the safe-side.
Anyway, i thought Id share pics.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ticking/clicking might be the rotor or could be spoke tension.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Spokes give more of a tinkling noise sometimes with creaking overtones.The disc is a much more repetitive tick, tick, tick at the same point of wheel rotation. If it only comes or gets worse after using the brake, it's probably the disc touching the top of the caliper, which you can solve with a 6mm washer under the caliper to lift it up, assuming post mount.

PatM

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2009
Maidstone Kent
Thanks, tried spokes and Ive had the disc calliper off and on a number of times, added, subtracted spacers.washers. . Its a replacement aftermarket, as I couldnt get a Zoom direct replacement. I cant remember if the noise was there before I replaced it, because it was a case of the brake simply failed to stop the bike, regardless of new pads or not. I even tried replacing the ball-bearing, but couldt find precisely the same size- so it jammed...Fitting V brakes wasnt an option as the forks have no posts.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If you take the caliper and the caliper adapter right off and tie them up out of the way, then ride the bike up and down the road with one brake, you'll know if the noise is coming from the brake or not.

PatM

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2009
Maidstone Kent
If you take the caliper and the caliper adapter right off and tie them up out of the way, then ride the bike up and down the road with one brake, you'll know if the noise is coming from the brake or not.
Thanks-you would think so, wouldn't you.
It takes about 3 miles to start making a noise and today, its not as pronounced as it was-but a number of factors-1. Ive had the wheel off and apart. 2. it's wet.Muddy. I did my usual 12 miles late this afternoon-lovely sky but getting cold-10 degrees, and it hardly did it..but it was there. I think is the calliper....
Ill see how the week spans out- if its tipping down, Ill not be going out but if I do go out- it will be on that bike as its got the best off road tyres for my trek.

Attachments