YosePower spinning freehub

UbuntuBhoy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 13, 2022
Looking for a little help. I have a YosePower 350w rear hub kit that has served me well for about 18 months. After a recent clean my freehub stopped catching and would just spin. I have contacted Yose and they are sending me out a part (I'm not sure it's the right part but I will deal with that when it arrives) but I can't find anything online to show me how to remove the current freehub. I have taken the hub apart easily enough but I can't see how to get the freehub off and obviously don't want to do any damage beyond what is already broken. Does anyone have any advice on this?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
They'll send you the whole side-plate with freehub, so you don't need to remove the freehub from the plate. You can fix your present one buy pouring 3-in-One oil into it.

UbuntuBhoy

Jan 13, 2022
They'll send you the whole side-plate with freehub, so you don't need to remove the freehub from the plate. You can fix your present one buy pouring 3-in-One oil into it.
Cheers for the reply, but it's getting the freehub off that I'm struggling with. I can remove the cover plate easily enough and pull the full motor out by removing the non gear axle bolt but if I leave the freehub screwed to the cover plate it doesn't budge. Am I ok to give it a good whack from the non freehub side to knock it out or will that potentially cause some damage?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Do the 3-in One trick first. it'll probably save you a lot of hassle. If you must get the plate off, either use a three-legged puller or rest the edge of the plate on a couple of blocks and tap the axle through. make sure that there isn't a nut on the axle inside the free-hub. Some have an arrangement like you get on cheap axles with a longish round nut with two flats on it and a thin locknut, with the locknut just poking out.

Reactions: UbuntuBhoy

UbuntuBhoy

Jan 13, 2022
So my replacement hub cover has arrived with the freehub attached. I will be attempting to replace it tomorrow when I'm off work. I don't have a 3 prong puller thingy so will have to do it by a brute force attack!

Any advice before I do it?

UbuntuBhoy

Jan 13, 2022
Hub cover swapped over. Using bricks, an old leather belt and a hammer got the old one off without issue. Surprised the new one slipped on so easily as I was preparing for a fight with it. Got a tiny deformation at the axle end but not enough to cause any problems.

I'm just glad to be back in the land of the pampered and lazy!

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hub cover swapped over. Using bricks, an old leather belt and a hammer got the old one off without issue. Surprised the new one slipped on so easily as I was preparing for a fight with it. Got a tiny deformation at the axle end but not enough to cause any problems.

I'm just glad to be back in the land of the pampered and lazy!
You must put the occasional dribble of 3-in-One oil into the free-hub to prevent that happening again, so get yourself a can of it. Also, you can put some in the old free-wheel to repair it, so that you have a spare ready to go.