Your thoughts on 'Greenways' please?

pjvenner

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 20, 2011
I'm not sure how widespread greenways are but I recently tried a couple (Route 66 & Route 69). They were mainly tarmacced lanes alongside rivers/canals/disused railways. It was a pleasant ride apart from the midges & dodging the piles of horse poop.

My opinion is that whilst they are great for a ride in the country, the vast majority of the route is miles from civilisation making it useless for e-bike commuters. If our leaders really want to promote cycling, they should extend the greenways using the currently active rail network (fenced off of course). It's flat and perfect for cyclists. It leads to practical locations. It will cost a few quid but in the grand scale of things it's probably cheaper than resurfacing 10 miles of motorway, after that it's almost zero maintenance (provided that they do it right in the first place).

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
The good cycle paths i mentioned in stoke on trent utilise old railway lines that are no longer used. These pass next to housing estates and lead to town centres and the city centre. The do cross main raods but they installed toucan crossings for them, like i said i feel its not a bad effort around here its just a shame they dont have the money to widen it

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
I think the name 'Greenways' says it all, these are intended more for the leisure groups, families and kids who can ride their bikes in safety with a pleasant outlook, at any speed that suites them.
Commuter cyclists just want to get somewhere fast and easy and are not bothered about outlook.
Personally i don't think the two combine well, both being a danger to one and another

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
If our leaders really want to promote cycling, they should extend the greenways using the currently active rail network (fenced off of course)..
What a good idea. <serious>

Perhaps Flecc could come up with some ideas of how to tap a bit of juice from the power rail, some sort of brush on a flexible curved pole from the bike to go over the fence and then it would be perfect.<joking>

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Perhaps Flecc could come up with some ideas of how to tap a bit of juice from the power rail, some sort of brush on a flexible curved pole from the bike to go over the fence and then it would be perfect.<joking>
I don't see why not, trolley buses work well enough. Most electrified lines use overhead pickups, simplifying matters. This power source would be particularly useful to those with over powered e-bikes, adding theft to the list of offences. ;)

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
I don't see why not, trolley buses work well enough. Most electrified lines use overhead pickups, simplifying matters. This power source would be particularly useful to those with over powered e-bikes, adding theft to the list of offences. ;)
33kV would certainly cure anyone of the need for speed! :)

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I have a NCN that runs from work to home, almost door to door. If I use it my journey takes about 3 times longer, it is designed for children to use and most of it is unsuitable for adults. Sometimes I use bits of it but the number of motorcycle barriers makes it very hard going, especially when the barriers don't block motorbikes and they ruin the surface as a bonus.