Your Thoughts ?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I use end of bar mirrors but always look to the side as well before changing direction. It's a good discipline that i learnt when riding a motorbike to cover your blind spot. Wouldn't be without the mirrors i must say.
It's been a long time since I was a motorcyclist, and I had forgotten about that sneaky blind-spot... but was reminded of it rapidly on the road. :eek:

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
Nobody has mentioned the problem of fully turning your head to look behind when you get older - which I'm afraid becomes very difficult. It's another good reason to use bar end mirrors. I am sure as well that it takes longer and renders the bike unstable if you look properly behind you. A quick look in the mirror and a glance sideways is much safer all around. I find as well that I don't just use the mirror for change of direction, I also use it as you do a motor vehicle interior and wing mirrors, to keep a general eye of what is behind you.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
The other thing about mirrors is ....

They look naff on a bicycle ;)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The other thing about mirrors is ....

They look naff on a bicycle ;)
My reflective taped Zefals keep me looking healthy at night ;)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I disagree, nicely made, properly mounted mirrors not only look great, but add a huge chunk of extra safety when used often. Looking odd on the road, is an advantage for cyclists with strange looking garb and bike.
Now what is/was Naff, was this hobby of yesteryear:-
View attachment 44604
Is that you Andy? Drivers have to choice but to give him room, he has a great view of the road behind him, and drivers will see him approaching. Looking bloody strange is an advatange for bikers.

Last edited:

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
I disagree, nicely made, properly mounted mirrors not only look great, but add a huge chunk of extra safety when used often.
Now what is/was Naff, was this hobby of yesteryear:-
View attachment 44604
He's got to have a serious wind drag problem with that lot on his bike! He probably had to set off for Brighton a few days early!

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
I see Garmin produce a radar
If I had spare cash to burn and I also wanted a fully featured cycle computer, the Garmin solution would be high up on my list of wants.
I don't have one, but a few (very) keen cyclists I follow on youtube have them and have done reviews showing them working, and they look the business! Awesome piece of technology. Pity they are so expensive.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Is that you Andy? Drivers have to choice but to give him room, he has a great view of the road behind him, and drivers will see him approaching. Looking bloody strange is an advatange for bikers.
You could be on the right track, but think of how much it will cost him if he drops the bike and breaks many off!! o_O :p:eek:
Regards
Andy
PS. In those days, I was more of a Rocker than a Mod!!

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

Mark *

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 14, 2021
Good man :)
I look forward to your comments!

What are you pairing it up with? Your phone, or do you have a garmin head unit?
I am due out today sometime to try it out ,and i have ordered from Garmin the radar display unit.

Mark *

Oct 14, 2021
Good man :)
I look forward to your comments!

What are you pairing it up with? Your phone, or do you have a garmin head unit?
Went out today hooked my radar up to my Garmin GPS ,one word WOW !!!

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Mirrors don't need batteries.
Yes, but when you consider the cost of polishing fluids and cloths these days, it can keep adding up.

• :D
Reactions: guerney

Mark *

Oct 14, 2021
I hope the 'WOW' was a wow of pleasure and amazement :)

Come on .... more details please :)
I was so impressed with the ease it alerted my Garmin GPS ,Personally i could not imagine riding without one to be honest. I have excellent hearing anyway , but it way outdoes my ears for sure ! The peace of mind to know there is traffic approaching from behind puts me in a much more readiness should i need to either stop very quickly ,or take action. I feel very alert and switched on with the radar ! ;)

• Agree
Reactions: GLJoe