Zero Electric Motorcycles get $2.4 million more funding

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
BLACKPANTHER - I would love to have a serious discussion with you regarding why electric scooters seem to have a much wider role in other countries, in particular China, than in the UK. I think poverty comes into the equation, and after a recent visit (still jet-lagged) I now firmly believe the lower speeds of Chinese cities are an extremely important factor in e-bike success.
The speeds used (around 25 mph max) seem to allow a much more cooperative environment for cyclists and scooters and pedestrians, as well as cars and taxis. These lower speeds also maximise the range of electric vehicles.

I believe also an important obstacle to wider electric use is the commuting distance in the UK, where we seem to accept much longer distances to travel to work. I know my nephew has recently taken a drop in salary of £5k in order to reduce his commute to 20 miles. I'm trying to convince him now to go electric and get his cost down to 20 pence each way.

Maybe if everyone was doing lower speeds then we could all feel safer at 25mph. It would certainly be controversial and I can already hear J Clarkson choking with sarcasm...

Last edited:

BLACKPANTHER

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2010
Doncaster.
Batteries are getting more compact with greater capacity and cheaper too.
For instance, our latest 60Volt 3000W Retro Scooter will have removable lithium 32Ah batteries and cost £2,295.
That sounds pretty reasonably priced. What are the specs?......range/top speed/weight/warranty etc. Also, what are the terms of the warranty regarding servicing?

Ideally I'd want something capable of 40+ mph to be safer on A roads, As a biker, 30 is just too slow. As you're in Buxton, I'll try and pop in in the spring by taking a little detour on a ride out to Matlock.;)

BLACKPANTHER

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2010
Doncaster.
Batteries are getting more compact with greater capacity and cheaper too.
For instance, our latest 60Volt 3000W Retro Scooter will have removable lithium 32Ah batteries and cost £2,295.
That sounds pretty reasonably priced. Not too keen on the 'Retro' scoots though. I was a Gilera Runner rider in my pre motorbike days, so I prefer the look of a modern scooter.......What are the specs?......range/top speed/weight/warranty etc. Also, what are the terms of the warranty regarding servicing?

Ideally I'd want something capable of 40+ mph to be safer on A roads, As a biker, 30 is just too slow. As you're in Buxton, I'll try and pop in in the spring by taking a little detour on a ride out to Matlock.;)

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
I mentioned it to show how the specs are increasing rapidly, in my opinion. I've noticed many 3-5KW bikes coming onto the market. In our little shop we can only find space for one scooter and have settled with the "Retro" with, from March, two options for battery and motor. Both, unfortunately for your needs, resticted to 30mph.

The power, range and price is getting much better I believe, having seen the latest offerings from one of China's largest manufacturers. So don't stop looking just yet.

Our rule of thumb doesn't really match your A-Road needs: "Our scooters are for use around one town or city, not between two".
I don't think that, realistically, the sort of performance you're after will be affordable (125cc ish) for another 18 months. The most important changes will wait on the cost of Lithium batteries coming down further, as these provide for easy removal which is needed for those who live in cities where street-parking is the norm.

Still like to hear your comments after a try-out of course!

EdBike

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2010
Well this threads gone a bit off-course?

I think the point of British commuting distances getting bigger is interesting, but this Zero Motorcycle can hold 60mph with relative ease. A few years down the road, batteries and motor might allow more for longer.

I wonder about the running + ownership costs vs. a petrol bike though...?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I wonder about the running + ownership costs vs. a petrol bike though...?
Vectrix provided what BLACKPANTHER needed, but at a high price. That, plus some unreliability problems at first, resulted in them going into receivership and having to have more funding injected. Whether they'll survive even now with their high initial prices and running costs is open to question.

As Bob has remarked, it's a bit early yet for e-scooters etc to measure up to full 125 cc scooter performance. When they do I think they could harm the e-bike market to some extent, so e-bike suppliers are wise to consider handling them as well.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
scooter

I have a 3,000 watt scooter have had it for 3 years

60 volt 40 amp hour LIFEpo4 battery

Top speed 60 mph

I have a full motor bike license as it is classed as a B motorcycle because it goes over 30 mph

Insurance £ 110 per year full com

The company now makes a 72 volt Called thunder

a 5 kw scooter with full EEC approval

See this link ZAP(CHINA) EV MANUFACTURING CO.,LTD

Price on there 48 volt 20 ah LIFEpo4 battery scooter $999 USD fob china

Or 48 volt lead acid 28 AH $598 usd

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Chaps

I used to be the UK Sales Manager for Vectrix, so know a little bit about them!

They were and are a great bike, over spec'd with Brembo brakes, Marzocchi forks and Sachs shocks etc but a great piece of kit. In my time I sold into a couple of police forces, the AA have 8 in central London and still use them today. I've heard of some bikes covering 25,000 miles and still going strong with no issues. You can see some footage of me riding here: YouTube - Vectrix

The price has now dropped to £5,800 before the launch of the more expensive Li-ion. A friend of mine is now the UK importer and also distributes the Plug in brand. This has been developed by ex.Vectrix technicians and enters the market at a lower price point.

Thought that might be of interest!

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I'd love a long range electric scooter and I was chatting to these guys at an exhibition a couple of years ago, their scooters were very good for the money but didn't have the range. They told me of their plans to make something bigger with removable batteries and they sounded really good, unfortunately it looks like what they wanted wasn't possible as the fastest ones are a bit slow with a low range for a lot of money. :(
E-City Wheels - Electro | Electric Scooters - Electric Mopeds - Electric Motorcycles

I've seen a press release for Vectrix's new 2011 model but the company seems to have disappeared off the face of Google. Maybe when I start the new job I'll see if I can charge one at work.
Edit: I found the specs and even if I can charge at work the range is still too low. :(

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
fast scooter

Hi the scooter is from the link above on my posting

They will sell you one for aprox $3500 USD

Remember there is 10% import duty carage and 20% vat

Frank

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
Back to Zero. I'm afraid I have a poor opinion of the hype coming out of the US electric motorbike industry. I don't really believe the specs they're claiming. And I find it astonishing to see the sorts of VC they're raising.

As for scooters, in London you see a large number of 125 Vespas. There ought to be a big market for an electric version. The huge problem though is that they typically live on the street a long distance from the house or flat which makes charging a big problem. Then there's the commuting distance. I live 10 miles outside the M25 and use a big scooter to get into central London. But I'd need a 50mile range and a top speed of >70mph to replace it with a direct equivalent electric scooter and the technology just isn't there yet.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I live 10 miles outside the M25 and use a big scooter to get into central London. But I'd need a 50mile range and a top speed of >70mph to replace it with a direct equivalent electric scooter and the technology just isn't there yet.
The Vectrix was just about there and maybe could have sufficed, but at £7000 there was probably little chance.

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
. The huge problem though is that they typically live on the street a long distance from the house or flat which makes charging a big problem.
We have solved this with a removable Li-ion battery and utilizing a technology called iDEP. Similar to that found in the Prius.

BLACKPANTHER

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2010
Doncaster.
The Vectrix was just about there and maybe could have sufficed, but at £7000 there was probably little chance.
I'm sure I read somewhere last year, that they could be had for £4,995 otr. I can't find them for this price now, but Intelipower Ltd - Smart energy solutions - Vectrix Electric Maxi Scooters have them for £5,998 otr, so I'm sure you could get them cheaper still. As an ex-scooterer (Gilera runner 50, Gilera runner 125, Piaggio X9 250, and a pretty damn quick Piaggio X9 500 before giving in and going down the motorbike route), I would love one of these Vectrix's, but it's still just too darn expensive. I could have a brand spanking new bandit 650s (or similar) with abs for just over 4 grand! That gets you twice the speed, and 3 times the range. You'd have to own a Vectrix for many years to see any real savings over a motorbike. The price for this kind of e scooter needs to be £3k tops if they're to sell. If I had dosh to blow though, a Vectrix would be on my wishlist. Plus a ZZR1400, BMW M5, Lotus Exige, ohhh ohhh and a jet pack!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Vectrix dropped to 6k when they re-entered the market after being rescued by refinancing, but the 7k did the damage initially when first introduced. It caused them to drop off most people's radar, and even at 6k it's far too dear as you say.

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Interesting. But I don't think I'd want to routinely carry a battery big enough to power a scooter from the motorcycle parking bay to my flat or house.
Hi JBond,

I won't go into the in's and out' unless your interested. But weight isn't about 7KGs....

Thanks
Mark