3-D Printer

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
A new Elegoo Neptune 3 Pro direct from Elegoo at £173 inc delivery plus 1kg of PLA
That's a good price for a new FDM printer, looks like a nice machine and has ABL! I nearly bought an Elegoo Mars resin printer cpl yrs back for printing 1:32 slot car bodies, managed to talk myself out of it though due to the hassle of the chemicals involved.

Let us know how you get on with your first benchy. Thingiverse etc. will become your best friend.

Reactions: Bikes4two

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
This is what I get with my printer. it has its own camera. It also has a magazine for the filament with auto-loading, and when you select a different spool, it auto-loads the parameters for the type of filament. The spool-holder thing is sealed, so I don't have to worry about moisture absorbtion. I've never needed to print test pieces. The only ones I've done are to check that bearings and other parts fit exactly how I want them.

That's another part or my bike project for those needing clues as to what the project is:

Last edited:

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
That Bambu X1 is a lovely printer however you can see where the money has gone, inbuilt camera, enclosure, multiple spool capability, large touchsceen etc., I certainly wouldn't say no to one however couldn't really justify spending that amount of cash when you don't need to.

And when you get your first clog you still need to take it apart to troubleshoot. Just like the most advance photocopiers, they still cannot fix their own jams.

Biggest concern I'd have is that it's all proprietary tech/firmware and I don't know how repairable it is or if they make available parts aftermarket (boards etc.). With Prusas and Creality etc. there are loads of spares available and when they eventually dry up non-working printers for parts can be scavenged from ebay.

Anyway, looking forward to see what you've been up to.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

i need more power :(20230215_173603[1].jpg

fkn 3k each cobalt steal cant see why they dont have 3d scanners and cnc machines in house and di the fkn things in 2 hrs :rolleyes:
20230218_213854[1].jpg

got a new one next month to train up and after 2 years will feck off like the rest :rolleyes:

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
That Bambu X1 is a lovely printer however you can see where the money has gone, inbuilt camera, enclosure, multiple spool capability, large touchsceen etc., I certainly wouldn't say no to one however couldn't really justify spending that amount of cash when you don't need to.

And when you get your first clog you still need to take it apart to troubleshoot. Just like the most advance photocopiers, they still cannot fix their own jams.

Biggest concern I'd have is that it's all proprietary tech/firmware and I don't know how repairable it is or if they make available parts aftermarket (boards etc.). With Prusas and Creality etc. there are loads of spares available and when they eventually dry up non-working printers for parts can be scavenged from ebay.

Anyway, looking forward to see what you've been up to.
All the normal service parts are available on aliexpress, like any other printer:

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
I had a look too and yes does seems lot of parts kits available, however for a £1K printer (vs £250 printer), that still needs serviced the same, where's the win?

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
And when you need these parts your printer is down so not printing for days/weeks?

I have spares for most of my CR6 SE and have replaced most of it apart from power supply over past cpl yrs.

Have at least one of most important stuff, two of some, main boards, daughter boards, full hotend kit, rollers as spares etc. It's a hidden cost.

Reactions: Woosh

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I had a look too and yes does seems lot of parts kits available, however for a £1K printer (vs £250 printer), that still needs serviced the same, where's the win?
The win is from the convenience. Everything is automatic. Just press the print button. I've never done anything more than that, and I've only had one bad print out of about 50, when it lost first layer adhesion because I forgot to re-enable support after I switched it off to see the difference. During printing, it saw the fault and aborted because it has automatic visual monitoring of the print and will respond accordingly. That's both in the setup and while printing. It has automatic self-levelling. It has automatic feeding of filaments, so you can use multiple colours and materials during a print. It has a complete self-testing and diagnosis system. It'll even check that you build plate is on straight. Every fault that anybody gets is fed back to a global diagnosis system that makes software changes to the printing and slicing algorithms. It even tests vibration at different frequencies to see how much it moves, and it compensates for the movement in its print algorithms. It's also the fastest printer in that size and price range.

I don't keep spare parts and haven't needed any yet after 9 months and about 50 sizeable prints. I'll let you know how it goes in the future. I haven't had to do any maintenance either.

All my life, I've always bought the minimum that would do the job. That's for everything in life, including food, entertainment and things like that. I recommend everybody else do the same. Get rid of your 60" plasma TVs, Sky subscriptions, IPhone, designer clothes, deluxe cars. Ipads, etc. Later in life, you'll become a millionaire like me, then you have to try to find ways to get rid of your money, like buying all those things you never would buy before , and find other deserving causes. The problem is that it's difficult to break old habits.

I'm not suggesting that anybody buy a £1500 printer, like mine, unless you're in the same situation as me. It's a bloody good printer, though. The technology in it is off this planet, like it's been designed by aliens.

Last edited:

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
The Bambu P1P (pretty much a X1 minus bells & whistles), is available online for £460....nuts...might have to have a word with Santa... :eek: :eek:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The Bambu P1P (pretty much a X1 minus bells & whistles), is available online for £460....nuts...might have to have a word with Santa... :eek: :eek:
The number of 3-D printers you need is N+1, where N is the number you already have.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
i need more power :(
You should 3d print yourself a jawguarded Halo or Optimus Prime helmet, or bigger jaws like Jaws from Bond 10 and take big bites out of obstacles. Why not start a Transformers counterfeit operation? Print resolution creeps ever higher. You could increase your stash of gold bars before the black ninja helicopters getcha.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I am thinking of buying the Bambu Lab A1 mini after watching this video. I didn't think it was possible to print a 7-segment LED lens.

Reactions: portals and guerney

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
What's the first thing you're going to print?
> After a test piece like a benchy (and then some tuning if needed), then I'll be looking into making some small project boxes similar to the Vero style that I used to buy from Maplins. (I've a Rasberry Pi and some Arduino laying around that I would like to put to good use).
> As I write Evri have scheduled then cancelled delivery 3 times since Saturday - on the Saturday they even took a pic of my road just 70m from my house so I'm wondering if the parcel has gone missing as in the parcel was on the driver's pick list but not in the van?
> In the meantime I'm refining my Tinkercad techniques and dipping my toes into Prusaslicer (Cura 5 wouldn't work on my Win10 laptop).

And thanks @portals for the tip on using a smartphone as a camera - I'm currently giving the free version of 'Alfred' a go - I now need to print off a phone holder for my tripod - if only I had a printer!

Reactions: portals

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
I use mainly Cura 4.1.0.0 as 5.x won't run on my Win7 laptop. I have Prusa slicer too and used it in past but prefer Cura.

Cura 4.x should install OK on your Win10 PC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bikes4two and Woosh

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
> As I write Evri have scheduled then cancelled delivery 3 times since Saturday - on the Saturday they even took a pic of my road just 70m from my house so I'm wondering if the parcel has gone missing as in the parcel was on the driver's pick list but not in the van?
Ha, do you live on the second floor or above? Evri have such a bad rep already...can see them going back to Hermes.... ;)

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Cura 4.x should install OK on your Win10 PC.
I did try looking for Cura 4.x but the best I came up with was a github repository which tbh didn't seem to have any executables in it.

I'm a bit of a numpty where github is concerned - I like fully packaged installations, double click and all that, lol.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Ha, do you live on the second floor or above? Evri have such a bad rep already...can see them going back to Hermes.... ;)
Evri was just a name change from Hermes who are still the owners. Maybe they need another name change to say YBL (as in You'll Be Lucky)!

I've used Evri a good number of times and they've been as good as the other couriers, it's just that there's nowhere to go if it all goes pear shaped, just a bloody chat bot (Ezra).

esuark

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent
Hermes Evri, used them a lot though one time they sent me an invoice demanding more money for two overweight parcels they said they'd weighed on their super weighing machine! I knew they were well under weight. I asked why they'd delivered the evidence if this was the case. I could even see the photographic evidence of delivery on my Hermes Evri account. They eventually cancelled the invoices.