May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
And very nicely it rode, too :)

Only problem is... It's legal.

Last edited:

Marctwo

Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2012
Is it just me or is it inappropriate for you guys to start pushing your hubs in thread about crank drives?

D

Deleted member 4366

I don't really understand how a speed sensor is an alternative to a torque sensor and vice versa.

One of the german threads mentioned that the pedals had to be turning for the motor to work (as the german reg's require) so there must be some kind of pedal sensor used.
It's' a crank speed sensor not a bike speed sensor.

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
I love this guy Ali Baba and his Aladdins Cave, fill his hand with 500 pieces of gold and he can source you anything in China. It's a funny old world!

C

Cyclezee

And very nicely it rode, too :)

Only problem is... It's legal.
Hi Peter,

Just for your info, and before anyone asks, it can be de-restricted for use on private land with the land owners permission.

All the bikes we took to the Eden Project were running restricted mode, but even the Yuba el Mundo went up the hill test no problem.

Talking about the Yuba, I don't know if you saw it, but I took James from Justebikes for ride on, he sat side saddle on the rack holding a cup of tea as we went round the circuit and didn't spill a drop, wish i had a photo of that.

C

Cyclezee

Is it just me or is it inappropriate for you guys to start pushing your hubs in thread about crank drives?
Sorry Marctwo,

Just read your post, it won't happen again...........until the next time:eek:

Anyway, it was Frank wot started it and I am easily led:p

Last edited by a moderator:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I took James from Justebikes for ride on, he sat side saddle on the rack holding a cup of tea as we went round the circuit and didn't spill a drop
Well, maybe not of tea, but did you check elsewhere? ;)

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Talking about the Yuba, I don't know if you saw it, but I took James from Justebikes for ride on, he sat side saddle on the rack holding a cup of tea as we went round the circuit and didn't spill a drop, wish i had a photo of that.
I did indeed saw that, but didn't have time to get the camera - Too busy getting bums on bikes :)

But we digress - Personally, I find any information proffered to be appropriate, but then - I'm notoriously open to erudition :p

Back to the cranks....

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I love this guy Ali Baba and his Aladdins Cave, fill his hand with 500 pieces of gold and he can source you anything in China. It's a funny old world!
It's the forty thieves I'm always a bit concerned about ...

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Not interested in hub drives on that bike - not enough torque - well not unless you start going really high power and on a bike with thin alloy dropouts front and rear - no thanks!

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
Not interested in hub drives on that bike - not enough torque - well not unless you start going really high power and on a bike with thin alloy dropouts front and rear - no thanks!
Ok amigafan, you are hereby authorised, requested and required, by general consent of the pedelecs forum, to go and purchase a mid-drive 8-fuin kit from shemozzle and return back and make a report. :)

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Ok amigafan, you are hereby authorised, requested and required, by general consent of the pedelecs forum, to go and purchase a mid-drive 8-fuin kit from shemozzle and return back and make a report. :)
Hi hech,

Just the clear up the impression that you have that I will be selling these, I am afraid that won't be the case. My days are over for generating hard earned revenue for the mafia protection rackets for UK plc, especially now, as I can see how they squander it so easily.

I have, over time, purchased various items from a reliable seller on aliexpress and contacted them to see if they can supply the 8fun once I saw it on alibaba.

They are seeing if they can deal direct with the supplier and provide small quantities, whereas alibaba is really for trade only.

If anyone has a serious intention in purchasing one then let me know and I will give you a link, as soon as they can confirm availability, firm price and delivery charges.

If they decide to list it as a product on their site then you will be able to go direct.

What I am trying to avoid is time wasters and loading them up with bogus inquiries.

To be honest the crank drive doesn't appeal to me but I can see the advantages for certain user requirements.

Last edited:

countryman663

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2013
NWest Lake District
other after market crank drive..catching on? why not?

A kit like that could become very popular indeed,.... An LCD which enables you to enter a number of parameters into the controller eg voltage and max current would be extremely useful.
have you come across these retro-fit crank drives? they seem to share a great many features with the Bafang and could provide an alternative, can't find prices yet
this one from Schachner GmbH includes everything it seems but comes in at £1000!
Schachner Elektrobikes - Kit
Kit MM 13 BRUSHLESS MID-MOUNTED MOTOR
Mittelmotor_Bike_MMBike_13.jpg
Rated voltage: 36 V Continuous rating: 250 watt Max. speed: 60 rpm
Torque: approx. 50 Nm Motor weight: 2.8 kg Standard: EN 15194-2009, ROHS
LiFePo4 BATTERY & RACK Lockable special rack suitable for 20" - 28" bicycles
Control unit is mounted on the side
DISPLAYControls the power (5 stages), Starting aid, Displays the power status of the battery, Speed display, Background illumination Odometer display, Integrated clock

and then there is the Sunstar SO3+ (£1200!)
sunstar SO3+.jpg
Ebike pedalata assistita
which d8veh has commented on int the Endless sphere forum last year.
These don't seem to have caught on in the way that is anticipated for this BAfang units
any thoughts as to why (price maybe)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Definitely price is the major factor, and the 8fun name also counts as a known and trusted e-bike motor maker.

Also all three versions of the Sunstar unit have been rather underpowered, have some other odd features and have often not been readily available. The other two mentioned are virtually unknowns.

D

Deleted member 4366

have you come across these retro-fit crank drives? they seem to share a great many features with the Bafang and could provide an alternative, can't find prices yet
this one from Schachner GmbH includes everything it seems but comes in at £1000!
Schachner Elektrobikes - Kit
Kit MM 13 BRUSHLESS MID-MOUNTED MOTOR
View attachment 5672
Rated voltage: 36 V Continuous rating: 250 watt Max. speed: 60 rpm
Torque: approx. 50 Nm Motor weight: 2.8 kg Standard: EN 15194-2009, ROHS
LiFePo4 BATTERY & RACK Lockable special rack suitable for 20" - 28" bicycles
Control unit is mounted on the side
DISPLAYControls the power (5 stages), Starting aid, Displays the power status of the battery, Speed display, Background illumination Odometer display, Integrated clock

and then there is the Sunstar SO3+ (£1200!)
View attachment 5673
Ebike pedalata assistita
which d8veh has commented on int the Endless sphere forum last year.
These don't seem to have caught on in the way that is anticipated for this BAfang units
any thoughts as to why (price maybe)
Low power, too much noise and not particularly smooth.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
d8veh, are you in China right now?

D

Deleted member 4366

d8veh, are you in China right now?
Yes. Bafang crank drives are all over the show. They have speed sensors. We've been looking at the Ananda ones with the big 6" dia bottom brackets. Lots of motors, copies of motors and copies of copies. Got myself a nice new Samsung note 2 for just over £100, which I'm using now.

I'll post some photos later. Any questions?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2