A little help on a battery

Jadedweevil1188

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 29, 2018
Edinburgh
Hello everyone I'm about to purchase my first conversion kit it's a 500w kit but I'm kind of struggling about what battery to buy I was hoping to only spend about 200 pounds on one and I'm quite scared to buy a battery from eBay .
I was looking a one it says it's an ultramax 36v 12 ah battery but doesn't say what cells are inside .
Any information or help would be much appreciated.
I don't want to waste my small amount of money I have left .
Thanks

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Think you're right to be cautious on e bay batteries. Some one with more knowledge will be along soon, in the mean time it will help if you say what the kit is. Have a look at the controller and give us the max. current rating. Also what type of riding are you hoping to do and how heavy are you. Also what bike is it going on? This will all help to spec the right battery for you.
My experience is that you have to buy the best you can afford, 'cos cheap won't last long and will disappoint.

D

Deleted member 4366

If you're thinking of buying one of those cheap 500w direct drive kits, you,all need a battery capable is supplying about 30 amps continuously. That's not a cheap one.

You can use we a cheap one, but the high current will soon wear it out and you'll soon be needing to buy a replacement.

Jadedweevil1188

Mar 29, 2018
Edinburgh
Think you're right to be cautious on e bay batteries. Some one with more knowledge will be along soon, in the mean time it will help if you say what the kit is. Have a look at the controller and give us the max. current rating. Also what type of riding are you hoping to do and how heavy are you. Also what bike is it going on? This will all help to spec the right battery for you.
My experience is that you have to buy the best you can afford, 'cos cheap won't last long and will disappoint.

Hi thanks for replying honestly I have a very little budget as I have four kids and just can't afford the best products so I just need the best for what I have .

I weigh 11 stone and ride a acent revolution mountain bike the kit I was looking at is https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01D08RPFQ/ref=ox_sc_act_image_3?smid=A1UZZ62C9C6LXS&psc=1#askDPSearchSecondaryView_1525511759574
This is probably a cheap kit to you guys as well but the reviews seem o be good. There's no information about the controller so I have emailed them .
I stay in a hilly area which is why I'm desprate for a kit , cycling to work at the moment is tough for me .
This was another battery I was looking at https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/36V13Ah-Electric-bike-Rear-Black-Battery-Lithium-ion-Battery-481Wh-2A-Charger/222497633565?hash=item33cde4751d:g:h3EAAOSwIWVY9vhf
This battery seems to have good cells as well

Jadedweevil1188

Mar 29, 2018
Edinburgh
If you're thinking of buying one of those cheap 500w direct drive kits, you,all need a battery capable is supplying about 30 amps continuously. That's not a cheap one.

You can use we a cheap one, but the high current will soon wear it out and you'll soon be needing to buy a replacement.
Hello there yes I realise that these 500w kits off eBay and Amazon won't last long but how long will it last do you think? If I got a year out of the kit I would be happy . I work part time minimum wage at the moment there's no way I can spend over 350 pounds on kit plus battery . If you guys can help me on a battery is appreciate it alot I have been wanting to convert to electric for a year now so fingers crossed all goes well

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
You don't need to spend £350 on a kit. The company that is selling the battery you are looking at also sell a 250 watt kit for under £200 which is far better than the kit you are looking at. They may be out of stock at present, but will most prob. have more in a couple of weeks time. They sell very well, quite a few on here have bought them.

Jadedweevil1188

Mar 29, 2018
Edinburgh
You don't need to spend £350 on a kit. The company that is selling the battery you are looking at also sell a 250 watt kit for under £200 which is far better than the kit you are looking at. They may be out of stock at present, but will most prob. have more in a couple of weeks time. They sell very well, quite a few on here have bought them.
Thanks wheeliepete can you let me know what make they're kit better I don't have a clue to be honest I just thought they all came from the same place ,China . Thanks

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
It's a better choice because it is a better match to the battery you are looking at and your budget. As D8veh has said, bigger motors require more power and a battery to provide it. Those cheap 500/1000w motors on ebay sell, but look at how many are re-sold secondhand, mainly because people are disappointed with the performance or they have killed the £200 battery they fitted to it. They need a high spec battery to perform well around the £400-£500 mark.

Jadedweevil1188

Mar 29, 2018
Edinburgh
It's a better choice because it is a better match to the battery you are looking at and your budget. As D8veh has said, bigger motors require more power and a battery to provide it. Those cheap 500/1000w motors on ebay sell, but look at how many are re-sold secondhand, mainly because people are disappointed with the performance or they have killed the £200 battery they fitted to it. They need a high spec battery to perform well around the £400-£500 mark.

Jadedweevil1188

Mar 29, 2018
Edinburgh
What about a 250w kit with the 36 v 13ah battery ? Would I get enough torque for hills though ?

Jadedweevil1188

Mar 29, 2018
Edinburgh
Look at the stuff from this seller:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/YOSE-POWER/b/ref=bl_dp_s_web_9709887031?ie=UTF8&node=9709887031&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=YOSE+POWER

This is them on Ebay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/ysbattery-2012?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

If you show us which bike you want to convert, we can give more specific guidance.
Thanks for that , I think im gonna just save up for a better kit from somewhere else thanks for all the advice I have realized now that the cheap kits are not the same . Could someone point me in the direction of a good shop please

Jadedweevil1188

Mar 29, 2018
Edinburgh

Attachments

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Have a look at the kits Woosh sells. Forum member, UK company, great customer service and backup.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Don't be mislead by the motor 'power' rating - it is meaningless. Almost any 250w geared hub will give enough assist to get up hills. That's what I've got and it's been hauling my 65 year old butt around West Wales for the last four years. Hub motors are nearly bullet proof, although you can get faults in controllers or other parts, especially from water ingress.
Avoid direct drive hubs, they are inefficient climbing hills and work best at high speed on the flat, but they mullah batteries with low current capacity which gives short range and short battery lifespan.
Any of the Woosh offers would do, plug and play kits, good back up and reputation. Personally I've found front hub to be the easiest installation, I know others would disagree. However if you are off roading as well then a rear hub is the way to go. Bottle battery would fit nicely into your frame.
The 13Ah battery you mention would get you between 25 - 50 miles range per charge. Depends on your fitness, terrain, wind, weight, tyres etc etc. So, if your commute round journey is shorter, you could go for a 10 or11Ah battery to start with, so saving some cost.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Hi thanks for replying honestly I have a very little budget as I have four kids and just can't afford the best products so I just need the best for what I have .

I weigh 11 stone and ride a acent revolution mountain bike the kit I was looking at is https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01D08RPFQ/ref=ox_sc_act_image_3?smid=A1UZZ62C9C6LXS&psc=1#askDPSearchSecondaryView_1525511759574
This is probably a cheap kit to you guys as well but the reviews seem o be good. There's no information about the controller so I have emailed them .
I stay in a hilly area which is why I'm desprate for a kit , cycling to work at the moment is tough for me .
This was another battery I was looking at https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/36V13Ah-Electric-bike-Rear-Black-Battery-Lithium-ion-Battery-481Wh-2A-Charger/222497633565?hash=item33cde4751d:g:h3EAAOSwIWVY9vhf
This battery seems to have good cells as well
When I built my first bike I was working poor but at getting on for 60 at that point I had learned that good stuff, fit for purpose will last longer and cost less over the lifetime you intend it to have. So I spent more than I could afford at the time and have not regretted it.

In the same situation today with the knowledge I have gained from here I would probably invest in a DIY welder and weld up my own. There is a cheaper way to do batteries but that requires jumping through some hoops and needs lots of discipline, it is called LiPo...

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Hub motors are nearly bullet proof, although you can get faults in controllers or other parts, especially from water ingress.
Avoid direct drive hubs....
I thought it was direct drive hubs that were considered "bulletproof", with geared hubs not lasting as long due to the nylon gears ?

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Dunno, but 5500 miles on the single track lanes of West Wales (where even the flat bits are steep) seems OK.