A very sad tale

themutiny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2009
I've found the anger occasionally manifests itself in the drivers still stubbornly pulling out (as if in complete denial a "pushbike" can go that fast) and/or a blast on the horn..:eek:
I get that all the time, and it really hacks me off!

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
I too am very much of the opinion that life is a risk, I don't want to be wrapped up in cotton wool nor do I wish to put myself in unnecessary danger. But am fatalistic about what will be will be.

You do what you can (or are willing) to mitigate risks, the rest you accept.

I do tend to wear black (or dark/muted colours). My bike has lights and reflectors/reflective stips so I don't feel the need to wear more. I understand all the arguments but am free to choose. The same applies when snowboarding off piste, I understand the risks but I choose to do so.

After all I work in an office and my life isn't exactly the adrenaline fuelled adventure it used to be, some of us need a bit of risk to feel alive, all the arguments and consequences be damned.

I now only drive a car maybe once a week and am regularly surprised at the lack of skill and judgement of (probably) the majority of drivers. This is one instance where I would be happy for more regulation, re-tests every 5 years to include refreshers on the highway code.

The advice to drive appropriately for the situation is spot on but often something that will only come with experience.

So again you mitigate the risks of riding in traffic.

I assume everyone on the road has a basic level of competence (occasionally I do get proven wrong) but are all capable of stupidity. The hardest thing is to assume you yourself are also capable of surprising stupidity and to remember that before you do something stupid!

barrycoll

Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2009
for all you folks who are motorcyclists and/car drivers, why not take this amazing opportunity to increase your skills, and get rid of acquired bad habits, by doing the Advanced Motorcyclist or Advanced Driving test....join the IAM at iam.org.uk and have half a dozen free country runs with an volunteer observer to bring your skills up to speed...and its all great fun

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
for all you folks who are motorcyclists and/car drivers, why not take this amazing opportunity to increase your skills, and get rid of acquired bad habits, by doing the Advanced Motorcyclist or Advanced Driving test....join the IAM at iam.org.uk and have half a dozen free country runs with an volunteer observer to bring your skills up to speed...and its all great fun
The IAM is an excellent organisation for promoting road safety and their magazines are also very informative. I've been a car driving member for 30 years and its stood me in good stead. It is only since I became an e-biker that I started to put my clean driving licence at risk!:D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm also supportive of what the IAM do, but have never bothered to join. My own approach to driving and riding is to regard myself as a permanent learner, realistic since there is always something fresh to be learnt regardless of how long one has been doing something. That approach has kept me safe for 63 yeas so I think it's a sound one.

I will never say I'm a skilled or advanced driver/rider on the basis that pride comes before a fall.

tenderbehind

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2008
... and of course at junctions always try and make eye contact with the driver.
Don't know really if thats quite a good idea? In this rather sorry driving world we are in with some very aggressive drivers about I actually try not to make eye contact with any of them, I think that once this is done then, in some cases, the other driver can get the (wrong) idea that he or sometimes she, somehow now ''knows'' you and then therefore feels at liberty to take part in some sort of road rage if he or she feels a need. Without eye contact, unless it's really necessary of course, then nothing ''personal'' has occured with the other driver thus lessening the chance of any aggro with them. Just my thoughts here, others may well differ in their opinions.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I do go for eye contact every time. The risks of the driver not seeing a two wheeler and suddenly pulling out out I think are very much higher than the risk of the rare aggressive driver who might be offended.

Of course the eye contact only has to be momentary and fleeting to ensure one's been seen, so need be scarcely enough for the aggressive to object. For motorcycling with visors or cycling with goggles, the aggression risk is absent since only the other drivers eyes are usually seen to make contact, he/she probably unable to discern your eyes clearly or at all.