Bafang Max Drive

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Have you tried to register a HS as a moped yet? It is a long drawn out process and you have to install a full size number plate on the back of the bike.

I believe we should adopt the Dutch or even the German approach to these superb machines. Give them a separate class that clearly identifies them and issue a smaller plate, registration should be very straight forward. Until we do, they will continue to be sold and used illegally in cycle lanes, unlicensed and uninsured.
No, I haven't. We have no interest in s-pedelecs, preferring to concentrate our effort on developing normal pedelecs, so from that point of view, we are happy with the current UK regulations.
On the issue of registration, if the product is legal then registering for Le1A or s-pedelec should be just as easy form filling.
Our cycle traffic space is already dangerously congested in urban areas, I can't see the sitution improved if s-pedelecs are allowed in.

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Thanks David, that R&M Rohloff HS Charger is certainly the business, from what I can gather these "S" Pedelecs in Germany, do not require you to were a full face type motorcycle helmet, although there is a range of regular style bicycle helmets that are specific for use with "S" Pedelecs.

Also as mentioned, a miniature style reg plate is required, and I think those do look quite cute, and of course you have to have insurance, I have no truck with any of that.

For folk commuting to work, mostly along our busy main roads, an "S" Pedelec is probably safer than a regular Pedelec, and imho would encourage more folk to cycle to work.

45kph is just 28mph, and most sensible folk would just go along at 20mph in anycase, but it would be nice to have that extra oomph when needed.

I wonder if we will ever get to see the UK allowing "S" Pedelecs like what they have done in Germany, or as I suspect in true nanny state fashion it will never happen.

I am surprised at the comment from Woosh, as I would have though that all involved with the Ebike industry, would have been pushing for parity with our German and Dutch cousins, and following Brexit America as well.

• Agree
Reactions: Artstu

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
No, I haven't. We have no interest in s-pedelecs, preferring to concentrate our effort on developing normal pedelecs, so from that point of view, we are happy with the current UK regulations.
On the issue of registration, if the product is legal then registering for Le1A or s-pedelec should be just as easy form filling.
Our cycle traffic space is already dangerously congested in urban areas, I can't see the sitution improved if s-pedelecs are allowed in.
Let's agree to disagree.

Kind regards, David

Reactions: Andy88

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks David, that R&M Rohloff HS Charger is certainly the business, from what I can gather these "S" Pedelecs in Germany, do not require you to were a full face type motorcycle helmet, although there is a range of regular style bicycle helmets that are specific for use with "S" Pedelecs.

Also as mentioned, a miniature style reg plate is required, and I think those do look quite cute, and of course you have to have insurance, I have no truck with any of that.

For folk commuting to work, mostly along our busy main roads, an "S" Pedelec is probably safer than a regular Pedelec, and imho would encourage more folk to cycle to work.

45kph is just 28mph, and most sensible folk would just go along at 20mph in anycase, but it would be nice to have that extra oomph when needed.

I wonder if we will ever get to see the UK allowing "S" Pedelecs like what they have done in Germany, or as I suspect in true nanny state fashion it will never happen.

I am surprised at the comment from Woosh, as I would have though that all involved with the Ebike industry, would have been pushing for parity with our German and Dutch cousins, and following Brexit America as well.
Hi Rohloffboy, thanks for your kind words, yes the bike is really superb.

Because the S type or HS electric bikes are such a huge hit in Europe, helmet companies have worked with the authorities to develop a helmet specifically for HS riders. It's lighter and as you say is not full face. I agree with you the HS E Bike is a massive boon to commuters and those wanting to cover longer distances, as you say they are probably safer as the speed differential between the bike and the react of the traffic is less. RM's experience in Holland is they out sell their standard ebikes about 2 to 1.

There are not many in the ebike industry who would not welcome the legalisation and integration of these superb machines in the UK. As the guy from Woosh says, at the moment it's only a matter of filling in a few forms, but the test centres are not really sure what to do with them and the huge number plate on the back really does look ugly. We have a few on the road with number plates, the only one that looks sort of OK is the Load.

It will happen, we need to be very patient though!

All the best, David

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Yep David, and I am quite happy to be patient, and for now I just have to wait for the right Bafang Max Drive bike to come along, which can accomadate my Rohloff Hub.

No problem with Speed on the Bafang as I believe the cut of can be upped from 15mph to 25mph quite easily, by the display control panel, that will do for me until "S" Pedelecs become main stream in the UK, let's just hope that common sense prevails with the powers that be.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
Thanks for the heads up Zack, all I need to find now is Bafang Max Drive bike, that has Sliding Drop Outs, so that I can ditch the derailure and drop my Rohloff in.

In the ideal world I would need the Bafang to give a Chain Line of 54mm (58mm optional) otherwise I may have to use a Chain Tensioner.

Do you have any idea what the Chain Line is for the Bafang Max Drive, maybe it's the same as the BBS motors 60mm +/- although on those motors the Chain Line can be altered 5mm either way, using different Chain Rings, or by using Bottom Bracket spacers.
I think the chain line for max drive is around 45mm By way of the Gates carbon drive catalogue
http://www.gatescarbondrive.com/~/media/files/gcd/gates-cd-ebike-compatibility.pdf?la=en

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Interesting Ultrafunkula, maybe one of the folk on here who have recently got the Greenway Bafang Max Drive bike, could be so kind as to measure the Chain Line.

45mm would be a jip for the Rohloff, as pushing the Chain Ring out be 9mm although not impossible, may not be so pretty.

Worst case scenario is that a Chain Tentioner would have to be use, not the most elegant of solutions, but would work fine it has to be said.

Edit = just found a Bafang Max Drive pdf and it shows either 45mm or 49mm Chain Line, dependant on what style of Bafang Chain Ring is used, although the Chain Rings come in either 36, 38 or 42T, there are two options of Chain Line.

49mm Chain Line is not ideal for the Rohloff, although a real world measurement of the Bafang Max Drive would help confirm the matter.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing