Bbs02b problem

Kape

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2021
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could list me the tools needed to completely disassemble my Bbs02b Bafang mid-motor. At a standstill when I use the throttle the pedals makes a sudden jamming noise and I’m not sure what is is. Another noise i hear is when i stop pedalling and just cruise i hear a noise in sync with the noise of my chain that is similar to the noise of a rollercoaster climbing not the best explanation i know

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could list me the tools needed to completely disassemble my Bbs02b Bafang mid-motor. At a standstill when I use the throttle the pedals makes a sudden jamming noise and I’m not sure what is is. Another noise i hear is when i stop pedalling and just cruise i hear a noise in sync with the noise of my chain that is similar to the noise of a rollercoaster climbing not the best explanation i know
@Kape , The best way to get assistance is to video the problem and stick the video on a cloud host and share it with us. Make sure you get a decent audio so we can hear it too.
I had a similar issue with my Tongsheng, I sent it back complete to Andy at Whoosh who cleared the motor and correctly diagnosed it as a bent rear axle stub.
Cheers Tony.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
There is an internal one way clutch, loctated within the final drive cog/axle assembly. This prevents the pedals from being mechanically attached to the motor, whilst the motor is spinning. This would be dangerous, as the pedals would spin when the motor is on and potentially cause rider injury. It also allows the rider to pedal and engage the chainring to drive the chain under human power.

Both actions are inherent in mid drives and can produce clicks and ticking noises, depending on whether the rider is pedaling, coasting or using throttle. I can confirm that mine does produce these clicks and ticking noises.

If the noise is very loud, or something is jamming, then by all means, open it up and see if there is anything obviously wrong.

Last edited:

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Ignoring the banging noises, which I assume is just camera banging about, and concentrating on the ticking. Sounds normal to me. If you just use PAS and pedal at the same speed as the chainring, then the noise should disappear.

As I mentioned before, it's probably just the final drive clutch making that noise. It's quite a simple clutch assembly, which by design, will click/tick under certain conditions.

Kape

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2021
The banging noise your hearing is actually the motor making that noise when using the throttle at a standstill or climbing a hill.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Check that the bottom bracket lockrings are tight, otherwise the motor will shift about and bang on the bike frame. The motor unit naturally wants to twist under power, so those lockrings need to be tight.

Also, the fixing bracket that attaches to the motor unit, needs to have the side with the raised bits (knurls?), facing inwards towards the bottom bracket.

Kape

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2021
I did notice my motor was slightly moving. I literally ordered the spare parts to secure the motor 2 days ago, I figured the teeth that bite into the frame may have worn down. Thank you for confirming that! Hopefully when i replace the parts it’ll fix the situation.

Kape

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2021
What’s the reasoning behind it only happening when using the throttle at a standstill and only when climbing up a mountain with no momentum. It doesn’t occur when i pedal.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The twist/ movement is under load, try the nut first i tighten with the spanner and a few taps with a rubber mallet so the teeth bite :rolleyes: and always try to turn the motor to rest onto the frame tube or if all else fails fit an after market anti- turn bracket

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
What’s the reasoning behind it only happening when using the throttle at a standstill and only when climbing up a mountain with no momentum. It doesn’t occur when i pedal.
You probably twist the throttle to full, which exerts a massive amount of torque at standstill.