bike keeps cutting out

beesandsbasser

Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2018
plymouth
Hi new to the site my diy electric bike stopped cut out power switch has no lights on 810 model .power up again lights just flash. bought new switch with controller start bike ran for ten minutes stopped again no lights on switch.
tried different battery 36v ran for 10/15 minutes stopped again
bike has been running fine for about 2 years

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Hi new to the site my diy electric bike stopped cut out power switch has no lights on 810 model .power up again lights just flash. bought new switch with controller start bike ran for ten minutes stopped again no lights on switch.
tried different battery 36v ran for 10/15 minutes stopped again
bike has been running fine for about 2 years
Check all connections. Something is either tripping or loose. I had this issue and it turned out the fuse in the battery kept coming loose and sparking. Eventually it melted the connection off

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
This is a where do you start game could be anything so you need to be methodical and check every thing starting with battery, I assume you have a multimeter .

Always start with the main source the battery.
Are the batteries home made or after market, could be voltage sag/collapse if you have weak/bad cell group.
Battery voltage reading when fully charged and at time of cut out.
Motor used sensored or unsensored ?

Check for wire continuity / intermittent connection with multi meter on beep mode.
Check for any melted or suspect power supply connections as well as phase wiring.
If handle bar display turns off check battery supply wiring.
Battery sends power to display 5v I think via controller then sends signal back to controller to function.

beesandsbasser

Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2018
plymouth
This is a where do you start game could be anything so you need to be methodical and check every thing starting with battery, I assume you have a multimeter .

Always start with the main source the battery.
Are the batteries home made or after market, could be voltage sag/collapse if you have weak/bad cell group.
Battery voltage reading when fully charged and at time of cut out.
Motor used sensored or unsensored ?

Check for wire continuity / intermittent connection with multi meter on beep mode.
Check for any melted or suspect power supply connections as well as phase wiring.
If handle bar display turns off check battery supply wiring.
Battery sends power to display 5v I think via controller then sends signal back to controller to function.

beesandsbasser

Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2018
plymouth
Hi Nealh hanks for reply have meter i have power from battery when it cuts out 41.2v its seams that some thing is cutting out led this is the second one i have tried also tried new controller conversion kit came from pro-rider 2016

beesandsbasser

Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2018
plymouth
Hi anon4 thanks for reply checked the battery fuse that is ok some thing is powering down the led display ,the bike run for about ten minutes then power led seams to shut down power up again bike runs for ten minutes then stops again.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
If the LED is losing power, then it is likely to be a battery connection problem. If you have replaced the controller as well , then that is also unlikely to be faulty. It could also be a BMS or internal battery issue. If you have a way to monitor battery voltage while you are riding, that would also be useful.

beesandsbasser

Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2018
plymouth
If the LED is losing power, then it is likely to be a battery connection problem. If you have replaced the controller as well , then that is also unlikely to be faulty. It could also be a BMS or internal battery issue. If you have a way to monitor battery voltage while you are riding, that would also be useful.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Check the battery docking wiring at the pin outs to ensure good contact, check soldering to pins inside the docking unit.
If it does it with two batteries would be coincidence if both were faulty, also look at battery docking pin contact is there any pitting or burning which might indicate poor contact.

On a recent ride I had a similar cut out with my homemade welded 10s & 3s seried batteries, both gave correct voltage but when in series they didn't add up. The 10s 5p pack worked fine on it's own, so I cut open the 3s5p one and found 4 or 5 welds had popped off after riding rough ground over the S/Downs. Rewelded nickel tabs and all worked perfectly again.

beesandsbasser

Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2018
plymouth
Hi wheeliepete thanks for your reply i changed the battery from another bike same 36v 41.6 v charged from my bike has been running no problems and the same cut out on my partners bike

beesandsbasser

Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2018
plymouth
Check the battery docking wiring at the pin outs to ensure good contact, check soldering to pins inside the docking unit.
If it does it with two batteries would be coincidence if both were faulty, also look at battery docking pin contact is there any pitting or burning which might indicate poor contact.

On a recent ride I had a similar cut out with my homemade welded 10s & 3s seried batteries, both gave correct voltage but when in series they didn't add up. The 10s 5p pack worked fine on it's own, so I cut open the 3s5p one and found 4 or 5 welds had popped off after riding rough ground over the S/Downs. Rewelded nickel tabs and all worked perfectly again.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Controller amp rating and battery cell spec,s.
Under what riding circumstances does the cut out occur ?
In the rain, fast riding, hill climbing or over bumpy terrain.

An intermittent short may also be the cause so throttle or pas could be at fault check wire continuity.

You will have to be methodical and make a tick list for fault finding as the issue can be anywhere.

Batteries them selves are fine, they work with another bike.
Controller has been renewed so is ok, old one is fine as well as they work or don't work.
Led panel has been replaced so likely old one is ok as well.
Can get expensive replacing parts willy nilly.

That only leaves wiring/connections and contacts. And hall sensors if motor is sensored.
How many motor wires 3 or 8/9 ?

Last edited:

beesandsbasser

Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2018
plymouth

beesandsbasser

Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2018
plymouth
Hi nealh just tried bike standing upside down disconnect chain turned the pedals bike stopped running after 12 minutes power loss to led switch power from the battery to controller 41.2 v 5v on red wire to led

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Does bike have pas sensor , throttle and brake cut outs.

beesandsbasser

Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2018
plymouth
Hi nealh bike does all of that pas throttle and brake cut off new controller has 3 phase wires 5 hall wire plus learning wire , old controller had 3 phase wires
5 hall wires. power 250w limit 13a on new controller

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Having renewed two major components and knowing batteries work on another bike there is conflict or fault elsewhere.
Try disconnecting the throttle, pas and brake sensors.
Reconnect pas only and see if bikes cuts out, if ok connect throttle and repeat again. Finally connect brake sensors.
If all above fail and cut out continues disconnect motor hall sensor wiring only and see if bikes works and cuts out.
A faulty motor hall may be a cause which you can test for using link below.

http://www.ebikes.ca/documents/HallSensorTestingFinal.pdf