Bionx kit in the UK

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
We were discussing the Bionx kit on this forum about a month ago. Aldby got some provisional prices that work out at about £1700 for the 36V set up. The 26V system isn't as good so the 36V looks like the one to go for. If you are prepared to have the battery on the rear rack then the Trek + bikes use the bionx system and you can get them at £1600 so that makes the kit look very poor value. There is another bike manufacturer that uses the bionx system and they should be available from next year - this info came from a bike shop that wanted to import them but they had sold all the stock for this year as they were so popular. I cannot remember the make of bike unfortunately but it looks like Bionx are keen to be more mainstream.

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I been trying out some of the other codes (found on various internet sites) for changing setting but its not always clear from very brief description what they do (and I don't want to change things I don't understand!).

Do you have list of codes and knowldge of what they do?

3773 de-restricting it easy (and using throttle with rear wheel in the air gets it up to about 23 mph)

2002 enables you to reduce level of regenerative braking (which helps reduce vibration that high regen mode seems to produce)

3779 - said to provide info on remaining time/distance doesn't seem to do anything on mine - have you tried this?

I'm also wondering if there is a way of reducing the assistance provided by the 4 levels (I tend to use only 1 and 2 most of the time, 3 and 4 only very occassionally). If the level of assistance on level 1 could be reduced to, say, 25% (as on 250W motor) - instead of 35% - this might increase the range on a full charge. If a higher level of assistance is required then one can always use the throttle (which automatically gives max assist).

Would be interested to hear what info you have on the codes and what you have tried.

SteveU
Steve

You can alter the sensitivity towards pedal input and effectively also power output:

2001: KM or Miles
2002: Generative Breaking - DO *NOT* play with this one - its through changing this incorrectly I've blown motors
2003: Time last with the battery
2004: Clock
2005: Wheel size
2006: Programming brake sensor
2007: Polarity throttle (0-5volt or 5-0volt)

3771: wheel size
3772: diagnostic mode
3773: max speed
3775: throttle max speed
3776: Speed that motor will start
5000: Full reset
1976: motor direction
1234: sensor speed signal; 1= slow 5= fast
1970: Configuration activation backlight ad DCDC automatic
0007: Sensor signal gain, 0.1 to 4.0
0008: Configuration of extra assistance 1.0 to 4.0 >>> this may be your answer

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
We were discussing the Bionx kit on this forum about a month ago. Aldby got some provisional prices that work out at about £1700 for the 36V set up.
Hi Harry, what where these quotes for? if for the 250 HT with 10 amp in frame battery then I may be interested....... and are they from Zyro? as if they are they should have a workable UK warranty........

Is the other manufacturer the french company matra?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Riese and Muller gmbh in Germany also use the BionX motors, including a 500 watt version for the high speed 40 kph (25mph) assisted class:

Riese and Muller gmbh
Look a bit over engineered for me, don't need or want rear suspension, or the weight and expense that goes with it..........

kink in the frame (which I don't like anyway) probably means in their minds that the can charge another 2k or so just for being different...pointless to me

Tried to look at BionX HT model but page kept on defaulting to the HS model, dread to think how much these cost! lol

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Look a bit over engineered for me, don't need or want rear suspension, or the weight and expense that goes with it..........
I agree, but it's for that high power, high speed class so a bit motorcycle like. :cool:. Nicely concealed battery though.

You can see the market they are appealing to by the pic with private jet in the background, as for the price, probably the usual, "if you need to ask etc!" :eek:

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Riese and Muller gmbh in Germany also use the BionX motors, including a 500 watt version for the high speed 40 kph (25mph) assisted class:

Riese and Muller gmbh
No and I really cannot remember the manufacturer. At the time I was more interested in looking at the Wisper XC that I had come to see. I wish I had taken more interest but they weren't going to be imported this year so I lost interest...I do remember them looking like an normal bike with the kit added rather than anything specially adapted. We will have to wait and see.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Hi Harry, what where these quotes for? if for the 250 HT with 10 amp in frame battery then I may be interested....... and are they from Zyro? as if they are they should have a workable UK warranty........

Is the other manufacturer the french company matra?
No I am sure it wasn't matra either - sorry I didn't mean this to be a guessing game.

This is the other link from Aldby http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/5859-ready-made-bike-bionx-kit-3.html#post75700 - I think the prices are more or less the same in Euro as in £ so I am guessing the 250HT with the 10Ah battery will be the £1700 version. If you search on the web you can see the prices in Euro (both in Belgium and France).

C

Cyclezee

I might possibly be selling this one soon;)
P1020820.JPG
PM me if you are interested, it has a PL350 kit fitted​

J:) hn

Last edited by a moderator:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No I am sure it wasn't matra either - sorry I didn't mean this to be a guessing game.
I know there was another but have been struggling to recollect it.

After the Carrera Sparc model, didn't Halfords announce another e-bike recently, BionX motored?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I fink it was PowaRider Electric Bikes in Surrey that Harry had his 906 test ride...if this is right I may give them a call

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
So the question is, will anybody buy one at these prices? I would go for the HT with frame mount battery at £1579.99 from the Zyro website. If you want the rack mount battery go for the Trek FX+ bike and save the money. What about you Eddieo - you would end up with a hell of an ebike wouldn't you?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
So the question is, will anybody buy one at these prices? I would go for the HT with frame mount battery at £1579.99 from the Zyro website. If you want the rack mount battery go for the Trek FX+ bike and save the money. What about you Eddieo - you would end up with a hell of an ebike wouldn't you?
Yes, maybe H.....but then something to be said for an all in one bike solution. some worrying reports regards reliability with the BionX over on another forum, seems to be a bit of a wiring problem.

Trek FX + Problem

not sure I like the controller built into the hub motor.......

And would it be any better then a 906 xc once this is sorted with hydraulic brakes, bigger controller, maybe even bigger battery as well. like I said elsewhere, I will enjoy what I have for the summer and think again in the Autumn. But the clock is ticking;) and I want a long term throttle bike before regs change:rolleyes:

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
This is just one report though so I don't think it is worth worrying too much. I think the electrical bits are quite reliable so should be a match for a ready made bike. Certainly more robust than a Cytronex and better wiring than the Ezee Torq - on a par with the Panasonics I would have thought.

The 906 lack a lot of power compared to the Bionx which is one thing that would put me off... and the weight of course.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
maybe I posted the wrong thread it might of been on endless sphere. but there were a number of owners with the similar problems.

with UK distributor and warranty I am getting kind of interested in the BionX again though......

Is the 906 really weak compared to a Trek FX? is that what you are comparing it to? Mussels seems to be getting on fine with his 906 and with the forthcoming upgrades it may be a contender. I cant see a front hub being able to transfer or handle as much power as a rear one though.....

winterdog

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2009
Hmmm
any one know the diffrence between
FX+ and Valencia+

I wonder if there is any one that will do a trade in with my 905 to take 700 quid off the price :)

davidk

MAB

Pedelecer
May 12, 2010
Cycle City UK aka Cambridge
Hmmm
any one know the diffrence between
FX+ and Valencia+

davidk
According to the very nice guy at my LBS (Trek stockists) where I had a test ride on an FX+, apart from the £100 price difference; the Valancia+ has a heavier frame approximately 2kg more, mudguards and some minor differences in some of the running gear!

Here is the link for Trek (UK) which may help? Trek Bikes | Bikes | Electric Bikes

regards,

Mike

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
According to the very nice guy at my LBS (Trek stockists) where I had a test ride on an FX+, apart from the £100 price difference; the Valancia+ has a heavier frame approximately 2kg more, mudguards and some minor differences in some of the running gear regards,
Mike

So..... How did it compare to other e bikes you have tried?

just noticed that these kits don't have a throttle...pedelec only. do the Trek e bikes have a throttle?

Last edited:

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
The Trek FX + and the kit should be pedelec only for the EU market but I suppose there might be a way of adding a throttle via the USA - expensive as it uses a different console.

The Bionx feels much more powerful than the Wisper 906 and I am sure that this will be born out if we get some power info on the motors. We do know that the Wisper will have an uprated controller (to 16A) so this should make some difference. At the moment I would put it on a par with the Cytronex - possibly a little more powerful but not by much.

The Valencia has disc brakes but even so it is disappointing that it will be 2kg more.

Eddieo the link was for one report - do you have the endless sphere thread? If it is a few reports of the same problem then this should be taken seriously (well it would put me off).