Bosch Engine Repairs After Warranty??

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Andy Bluenoes, do you read this? the secret of a reliable and low cost transport is no derestriction.
Sorry to veer off the main topic.

Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
You can speak to any Bosch dealer, and I know lots of them... and most are friendly. There is only one I can think of that would turn you away.

In fact they don't have to be Bosch dealers, any shop that sells KTM, Scott, Trek, Cube, Haibike, Diamond Back, Lapierre etc etc will have either already been trained by Bosch, or will be trying to get trained. I don't think there will be many bikes shops in the UK that don't have Bosch trained workshops within the next 12-18 months. I'm not sure who you're quotting when you say "if you have a friendly Bosch Dealer", but I think it can be assumed that they meant... you're not dealing with the one dealer who isn't friendly... the rest are!

Also I'm not saying you can't have access to the contacts, you do have access to them... via a dealer. What I'm saying is that dealers are there to help you and support you and they have the contacts with the suppliers (ie us / Bosch etc etc.) There is only one Bosch dealer who I can think of who won't help customers who didn't buy their bikes there even if they want to pay for the workshop time. I can't think of any other bike shop in the country who wouldn't want to help you. If you need spares they will supply them, simples :)
You speak broadly for any dealers that sell a bike with a Bosch system. I am replying not on behalf of the dealer I work for, but as someone whom works for one. I took the Bosch/Yamaha training in Nottingham one and a half years ago. At no time, during these four days, was I shown any dismantling of any of the engines, Bosch, Yamaha, Trans X, etc., to replace anything, bearings included. If the OP came here for bearings and I turned him away because of lack of parts and/or experience, would that make where I work an unfriendly dealer? If it is warranty, there is a process for that.

Just because a dealer does not presently want to get into the out of warranty Bosch rebuilding process, does that make them unfriendly? Maybe I lead a charmed life but in the years of selling Bosch powered products I have never had a customer request repairs that require any dismantling of a Bosch unit. You put a lot of emphasis on "Bosch trained dealers". Perhaps some of these dealers went outside of their training to learn how to provide greater service. For those that didn't, it means they can't help a customer, it doesn't make them unfriendly.

As for going to anyone whom sells Bosch and expecting service as if you owned a BMW, this has been hashed out on previous threads. We would, however make every effort to point a customer in a direction that would solve their problem.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Andy Bluenoes, do you read this? the secret of a reliable and low cost transport is no derestriction.
Sorry to veer off the main topic.
I see an element of that...but what im also seeing is if anything does go wrong with as Bosch, then the problems ive been having by buying from a distant dealer will potentially be just as relevant here

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
AB, if my bikes broke down as often as yours does, I would be out of business long time ago at the price I sell them at. Each incident costs us about £60 in staff time and ancilliaries, we can't afford to sell unreliable bikes nor to people who tell us they like to derestrict their bikes. The main reason why they break besides manufacturing defects is derestriction. That's why I veer off selling crank drives because they can go too fast for the mechanical bikes when derestricted. Geared hubs have limited RPMs, derestriction does not hurt them to the same extend.
Sorry again for veering off the topic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
AB, if my bikes broke down as often as yours does, I would be out of business long time ago at the price I sell them at. Each incident costs us about £60 in staff time and ancilliaries, we can't afford to sell unreliable bikes nor to people who tell us they like to derestrict their bikes. The main reason why they break besides manufacturers defects is derestriction. That's why I veer off selling crank drives because they can go too fast for the mechanical bikes when derestricted.

Maybe yourself or another dealer would like to really test their bikes out, and send me one for a 6 months trial, that would be a good indication of how reliable any bike would be ;)

From riding the Mrs bike the other day, I realised just how much work the electric side of an e-bike does, so yes, I can see how much extra strain a standard motor puts on the other components, even without it being de restricted.

Reactions: flecc

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I was thinking my bikes good running was because I haven't used a dongle but remembered R&M do a 'S' version that will go faster under power.

Otherwise it's the same motor.

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Maybe yourself or another dealer would like to really test their bikes out, and send me one for a 6 months trial, that would be a good indication of how reliable any bike would be ;)

From riding the Mrs bike the other day, I realised just how much work the electric side of an e-bike does, so yes, I can see how much extra strain a standard motor puts on the other components, even without it being de restricted.
That is a good idea but a bit too expensive.
I would be prepared to sell you either a Karoo or a Rio MTB on a special sale or return for 6 months, if you keep a thread on pedelecs about how the bike goes.
After 6 months (or when the bike breaks, whichever the sooner), you send the bike back and I return to you the original purchase price less £40 to cover the freight to you.
How does that sound?

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I was thinking my bikes good running was because I haven't used a dongle but remembered R&M do a 'S' version that will go faster under power.

Otherwise it's the same motor.
Your bike's good running is mostly because it is a properly designed, well-made bike using good quality components throughout.

Riese and Muller tend to go for durability, as opposed to light weight, but at least the stuff doesn't break.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Your bike's good running is mostly because it is a properly designed, well-made bike using good quality components throughout.

Riese and Muller tend to go for durability, as opposed to light weight, but at least the stuff doesn't break.
I mostly agree, but croxden's bike has been looked after by professionals, not the case for many cheaper bikes and also, not derestricted. Even so, a few things got seen too in the last few years.

The bike around £4600.00, Rohloff oil £35.00 (approx for two lots, third in the post), brake pads £17.49, service, two sprockets & chain £130.00.

That is upto the 8000 plus miles when the chain first started to slip.
I expect it to continue in a similar manor. Any other works undertaken by OnBike was a warranty issue, namely replacement Intuvia display and a seized piston on a brake.
I don't think my bikes require as much spent on them in maintenance though. Does it make my bikes better designed than the Delite?
(just joking).

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I mostly agree, but croxden's bike has been looked after by professionals, not the case for many cheaper bikes and also, not derestricted. Even so, a few things got seen too in the last few years.
Agree, although Croxden doesn't baby his bike - he even lets the likes of me ride it.

Add the mileage, and it's had a relatively hard life.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Add the mileage, and it's had a relatively hard life.
Andy Bluenoes is looking for a bike he can relies on for 8,000 miles a year, must last at least a couple of years - 16,000 miles. Would the Delite be a good candidate?
You can see in my previous post, I offered him my Karoo or my Rio on sale or return. This is my degree of trust in Chinese bikes.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
That is a good idea but a bit too expensive.
I would be prepared to sell you either a Karoo or a Rio MTB on a special sale or return for 6 months, if you keep a thread on pedelecs about how the bike goes.
After 6 months (or when the bike breaks, whichever the sooner), you send the bike back and I return to you the original purchase price less £40 to cover the freight to you.
How does that sound?
Thanks Tony.
It was a tongue in cheek suggestion really...But yes, that sounds very good.
I'm not trying to get anything for nothing...Just want what i pay for to work for me.

Should work well for both.

I can't do anything until early June due to my imminent house move which is zapping every penny and more at the moment though.

Sent from my BUSH SPIRA D3 5 using Tapatalk

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Andy Bluenoes is looking for a bike he can relies on for 8,000 miles a year, must last at least a couple of years - 16,000 miles. Would the Delite be a good candidate?
You can see in my previous post, I offered him my Karoo or my Rio on sale or return. This is my degree of trust in Chinese bikes.
Andy's use is very hard, so he wants something durable.

There's no doubt Riese and Muller are heavy duty bikes, similar to my Rose, which I always say is built to invade Poland.

Not a Delite, because of the extra maintenance needed for the full-sus.

But a Riese and Muller hard tall with a Rohloff hub would be a good candidate, and with appropriate maintenance could probably be kept on the road.

Some cost, though, £4K plus to start with, bits to buy along the way, and it wouldn't be worth a lot after two years with 16,000 commuting miles on it.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk

I've learned the hard way that I am expecting a lot from my bike, so if a trader thinks their bikes would struggle, then I would prefer them to say that I would be better saving up and spending on a 4k + R&M bike or similar. That's why I've tried to give as much detail on how I use it.

In my eyes, if they said don't buy one of ours, I wouldn't see that as detrimental to them, if anything, the opposite. It might save me money long term, and save them in constant repairs too.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've learned the hard way that I am expecting a lot from my bike, so if a trader thinks their bikes would struggle, then I would prefer them to say that I would be better saving up and spending on a 4k + R&M bike or similar.
But don't forget that for £4k you can buy 4 well known, good, tough e-bikes like the Woosh Big Bear.

Buy and ride one at a time, each for two plus years, not doing any maintenence, and you've got 8 to 10 years of no hassle use for the £4k.

In fact it would be well under £4k since you could sell each one at two years old and get a few quid back each time.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
you cant buy any parts for the inside of any motor so you cant service them.
You also cannot buy any parts for the insides of a microprocessor or a cars engine management unit or its auxiliary motors , alternators , turbochargers, catalytic converters, window motors or many domestic power tools. Any of these items might be comparable in cost to an ebike motor. The trend now is towards factory refurbished units .
Where an item is small enough to be posted, then it makes sense to run a central repair and return unit. Only where the item is bulky eg domestic washing machines would the service be carried out in situ.and see the cost.. a service for a washing machine might be 30% of its sale price.
Ask yourself the question are you interested in repairing and or building bike s as an activityor are you interested in using them as a tool for work or leisure?. For the majority of people the latter would be the honest response.
If the problem is a delay in getting the replacement item, for fitting by the authorised shop, then that is a problem and the shop should have e spares or an instant credit line with the supplier for overnight delivery.

• Agree
Reactions: stevieb

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
sk yourself the question are you interested in repairing and or building bike s as an activityor are you interested in using them as a tool for work or leisure?.
SW? as a toy for the boys.

• :D

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Not a Delite, because of the extra maintenance needed for the full-sus.
Extra maintenance? I've done nothing, needed nothing, it just works.

• Agree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
I've a KTM eRace with the Panasonic hub drive and one day soon I might drop into my local Pansonic Store with it and see what they say

Thankfully 3 years old and still going strong!
Ah! So are you thinking of a stereo system or a little tv to attach to the handle bars?

• :D
Reactions: Emo Rider