broken cable help

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
View attachment 46218

stans no tubes has traces of ammonia in it and if it gets to bear metal like where the valve hole is over time it eats it away and destroyed the rim.

i now use this stuff.
That must be good as its 33 GBP a bottle But will take note and bookmark it

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Fitted new back tyre valve core today, lets hope its what making it go flat. I will check tommorro morning, as its 1.45pm I fitted it. fingers crossed. if not may use the above or similier, as too much hassle taking up 2 flights stairs, plus having to remove wheel etc.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
When I looked at mega-slow leaking inner tube on a secondhand bike I'd bought, I found three old patches. The leak was tiny - took about two weeks for the tyre to go flat. It was satisfying chucking that inner tube away! Maybe you need a winch up two floors? I recently got a ratcheting thing to hoist mine up via a ceiling hook for repairs. Or is there a space outside where you could replace the inner tube on a non-rainy day?

Last edited:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
When I looked at mega-slow leaking inner tube on a secondhand bike I'd bought, I found three old patches. The leak was tiny - took about two weeks for the tyre to go flat. It was satisfying chucking that inner tube away! Maybe you need a winch up two floors? I recently got a ratcheting thing to hoist mine up via a ceiling hook for repairs. Or is there a space outside where you could replace the inner tube on a non-rainy day?
Hi guerney, its not a electric bike its electric moped, look at my profile picture, you try humping that up 2 flight stairs. mind you I guess my brother would help me up stairs. Its just that Ive had moped in my flat for 3 months, fixed it, then back up to flat again waited another month for parts. back on road again. 2 days later dam tyre goes flat. its just disheartning having to go all through that again. But I guess you are right, I will see what happens in the morning when I check tyre again. I just pray it is the valve. But if not will ask brother to give me a hand up stairs again

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Hi guerney, its not a electric bike its electric moped, look at my profile picture, you try humping that up 2 flight stairs. mind you I guess my brother would help me up stairs. Its just that Ive had moped in my flat for 3 months, fixed it, then back up to flat again waited another month for parts. back on road again. 2 days later dam tyre goes flat. its just disheartning having to go all through that again. But I guess you are right, I will see what happens in the morning when I check tyre again. I just pray it is the valve. But if not will ask brother to give me a hand up stairs again
On the bright side, at least it wasn't a "FLASH! ARRRGGGHH!" this time, more of a "PFFFT! WHAT'S THAT?!?!?" If you decide to repair it, the leaky inner tube is a finishing touch, and not the horrifying catastrophe of that first road test!

Last edited:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
On the bright side, at least it wasn't a "FLASH! ARRRGGGHH!" this time, more of a "PFFFT! WHAT'S THAT?!?!?" If you decide to repair it, the leaky inner tube is a finishing touch, and not the horrifying catastrophe of that first road test!
I checked the back tyre this morning and as I expected its gone flat again. this is from 1.45pm yesterday so its a very slow puncture, I have changed my mind about taking it up 2 flight of stairs again, Im gonna use this below. as Just say I was 6 miles from home with a flat or puncture, well no way can you walk the moped 6 miles. as you cant even hardly move it from shed when its flat. and Im not getting any younger, too much hassle

Last edited:
Reactions: DiggyGun

Chainmale

Pedelecer
May 13, 2020
Do you have tubed or tubeless tyres? Most of these sealants are for use with tubeless. If you have a punctured inner tube the only real solution is to patch (if repairable) or replace.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
None of them can work reliably with tubed tyres.

The problem is that when a puncture occurs and pressure is lost, the tyre can move around the rim, but of course the tube cannot due to the valve anchoring it. So as that happen the seal being made by the slime is torn apart.

In the trade and fixing lots of punctures I'd sometimes find a chain of small holes in a tube made by the one nail in the tyre that repeatedly pricked the tube as the tyre shifted around the rim due to the pressure loss.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Unless the foreign object if still imbedded in the tyre is removed, as flecc has mentioned it will just puncture again and likely in another place.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Do you have tubed or tubeless tyres? Most of these sealants are for use with tubeless. If you have a punctured inner tube the only real solution is to patch (if repairable) or replace.
Well it says this on the product description

Instant Quick Puncture Repair Car Tyre Fix Sealant Inflates In Seconds Capacity : 300ml Mean Machine Quick Repair Tyre Fix gives temporary instant repair to your punctured/deflated tyre by releasing a chemical mixture that seals and inflates the tyre. Quick and very easy to use. Ideal to keep in your car/motorcycle in case of emergencies. Seals and inflates tyres
but like i said above what am I suppose to do if 6 miles from home and get a puncture, walk 6 miles home pushing a moped with back flat tyre. or even if it was the front, no way can you push it. I have never checked if moped has tube or tubeless. I would have thought if anything its a tube. never had a puncture since i had moped.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Unless the foreign object if still imbedded in the tyre is removed, as flecc has mentioned it will just puncture again and likely in another place.
Ok Nealh I think as the moped is at mine now. I will ask my brother to help me with it up 2 lots of stairs. But what about what I said about if I was say 6 miles from home. as no way can you even walk a few yards with moped, when its got a flat. so then I think its best to use that sealant or any type of sealant to get me home do you agree

Dam moped 4 months getting it fixed 2 frigging days on the road and get a puncture. talk about bad luck

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Well it says this on the product description

but like i said above what am I suppose to do if 6 miles from home and get a puncture, walk 6 miles home pushing a moped with back flat tyre. or even if it was the front, no way can you push it. I have never checked if moped has tube or tubeless. I would have thought if anything its a tube. never had a puncture since i had moped.
Punctures happen, fact. Less so on a moped. Perhaps an ebike with a throttle would be more suitable for you, easy puncture fix by the roadside, and easier to carry up stairs.
Is there not a local moped/motorcycle dealer who can replace or patch the tube for you ? I doubt they'd charge much and if you inflate the tyre before you leave you'll be able to get there.
Once fixed, you can think about if you want to sell it and look at the ebike options

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Most motorbikes and all cars are tubeless so this product is mainly aimed at TL tyres, with tubes you have to hope any foreign object is in out and not retained by the tyre rubber gripping the object. With most of my punctures with a foreign object I have found a broken off bit of thorn or whatever still in the tyre and use a tool to push it out, I find it easier finding said FO from the inside of the tyre.
Otherwise in your case you just have to hope the tyre stays inflated.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Ive decided as moped is at mine now with flat. I will try to fix it. but if I am say 6 miles from home no way can I walk all way home pushing moped. so will use the foam fixes not slime mind you, just to get me home then fix punctures

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That stuff is for tyres not tubes in tyres, tubes are thin and prone to not sealing due to movement. A tyre is quite thick and strong and the structure readily tends to bridge together quickly.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
That stuff is for tyres not tubes in tyres, tubes are thin and prone to not sealing due to movement. A tyre is quite thick and strong and the structure readily tends to bridge together quickly.
So how do I get home then if say I get a puncture 6 miles from home as no way can you push moped even a few yards. mind you if I tried pumping it up 1st, to get me home. but if say its a big puncture and even if you pump it up and it only lasts a few yards. well you dont have a choice then as would have to use that sealant

joelectric

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2019
Motherwell
So how do I get home then if say I get a puncture 6 miles from home as no way can you push moped even a few yards. mind you if I tried pumping it up 1st, to get me home. but if say its a big puncture and even if you pump it up and it only lasts a few yards. well you dont have a choice then as would have to use that sealant
Get a breakdown recovery subscription if you are determined to keep using a moped to commute.
As suggested before an ebike with throttle would have suited you better, if it was me i would sell the moped and get an ebike, or buy a real moped.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With the moped set up you need a TL tyre set up as the removal isn't your typical bicycle set up, then you can use the cheaper tractor gunk sealant in the tyre all year round.