broken cable help

DiggyGun

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
England
Ok update on moped back wheel I have removed it, and also removed the motor, so hopefully now It will be much easier to take off tyre to check tube and also inside tyre. its a lot lighter with motor removed, and if I cant get tyre off using strong levers. and will also protect the rims too. I will just take it to a garage, as its not that heavy now. But Im sure I can get that tyre off myself. I think I did mention its a 16x250 tyre

Ive just ordered these from ebay so they should lever off tyre

@billyboya

Did you resolve your puncture?

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
The tyre levers arrived today it wasn’t too bad getting tyre off and get the tube out. I pumped up tube tried it in water couldn’t see no bubbles at 1st. So pumped up tube a lot more then found hole it was bubbling slowly so quickly marked tube. I must be unlucky as there is no more places on tube where it’s been patched. I will also check inside tyre for any sharp object

I’m still waiting for that sealant but will patch hole with a patch 1st then use sealant after

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That is quite some damage from an object in the tyre, not just a thorn or nail prick.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
yep maybe a piece of flint, looks like it's pierced in a couple of places, if so maybe the flint is still embedded in the tyre..make a note of the inner tube size, good to hold a spare

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With that damage I would likely bin the tube and fit a new one.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
With that damage I would likely bin the tube and fit a new one.
Well I have asked in 3 cycle shops none have tubes 16 x 2.50 size and I just took a quick search on ebay and didnt see any. Unless I am not looking in correct places

My mistake I wasnt searching right. this should be ok yeah

Ive now also felt all around the inside of Tyre, and cant feel no sharp objects at all even shown a light inside same on outside, actuially the tyre and tube both look new to me.

Last edited:

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
is the hole on the side of the tube? if no damage to tyre it could be a pinch flat, where the tube has been trapped between the edge of the rim and the tyre..have you previously removed the tube or the tyre?

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
is the hole on the side of the tube? if no damage to tyre it could be a pinch flat, where the tube has been trapped between the edge of the rim and the tyre..have you previously removed the tube or the tyre?

Yes its on the side of tube, But this is the 1st time since Ive had moped Ive got a puncture, and no I have never taken tube out before. look at image in #223 post

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I now wonder if it actually looks like screwdriver damage from your attempt in #212 ?

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
I now wonder if it actually looks like screwdriver damage from your attempt in #212 ?
If you think about it how could I have possibly done that with a screwdriver. When tyre was punctured before I attempted to remove tube
No 100% as the tyre was going down before I even attempted it. Yes I did use a screw driver but it was just at edge of rim near valve so to see if I knew if it had a tube. and I just used the tip on edge of tyre and I was very very careful not to hit the tube

Last edited:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Bit of a distaster. New tube arrived today. fitted it as got strong levers now but it wasnt easy as tyre so strong to lever on and off. tried pumping it up. But it didnt seem to much. removed tube. and checked it in water dam a bloody hole in tube, Now I cant prove it was done before I fitted it, as never pumped it up a bit. so I cant really ask seller to refund me. so I thought ok as I have patched old tube and its been inflated now for a good 4 days. I tried that tube. same thing again tried pumping that up it wont. took it out and bugger me another hole. Now Im very baffled as I have felt all around inside of tyre, can find nothing sharp at all

This tube I bought on ebay but notice its from china. as box got all chinese writing on it. most of these tubes I see comes from china even on Amazon too. I have asked in a few shops where i live, and none seem to have this size. 16 x 2.50 I will have to check this wheel again for sharp objects. But like I said I have felt all around inside and outside of tyre. also checked wheel too. so I am baffled whats wrong

Ive now ordered another 16 x 2.50 tube.

But this is the other tube. see its all in chinese,IMG_2143.jpg

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Carefully check the wheel rim internally for anything sharp, be careful in case of slicing a finger esp on the rim edge.
Also some times the object may still be imbedded in the tyre, though one can't necessary feel it one may have to manipulate the tyre to see if they can see a split/hole in the casing on the inside and if so pry the hole with a pointed object to see if there is anything there.
A bicycle tyre is easy as one can turn them inside out and bend the pliable rubber to open up any small piercing.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Carefully check the wheel rim internally for anything sharp, be careful in case of slicing a finger esp on the rim edge.
Also some times the object may still be imbedded in the tyre, though one can't necessary feel it one may have to manipulate the tyre to see if they can see a split/hole in the casing on the inside and if so pry the hole with a pointed object to see if there is anything there.
A bicycle tyre is easy as one can turn them inside out and bend the pliable rubber to open up any small piercing.
Hi Nealh thanks for your reply, and yes I have felt all along both sides of the rim, as I have the tyre off the wheel. so just checking both rims of wheel is easier now. I have also again felt the inside sides and centre of tyre. but will try to turn tyre inside out, But doubt I can as its very strong rubber. But can try, I have asked my brother to help me when new tube arrives which is tommorro. as amazon prime next day del. he will help me next week one day. as trying to fit the tyre back on wheel god its so hard even though I have these very strong Levers. and the levers are smooth at ends too. brother wa saying why dont I get a tubeless tyre, but thats more expense again. But doubt I will find a 16 x 2.50 tubeless tyre anyway

Well yes if you willing to pay £41 lol but spent enough on moped now

Last edited:

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
little tip to avoid the tyre pinching the new tube, add a little air to the tube, just enough for it to take shape when levering tyre back on. Also push the tyre sides in before you inflate the tyre, to check that the tube is not trapped between the side on the tyre and rim

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
little tip to avoid the tyre pinching the new tube, add a little air to the tube, just enough for it to take shape when levering tyre back on. Also push the tyre sides in before you inflate the tyre, to check that the tube is not trapped between the side on the tyre and rim
Yes thats what I have been doing. But its very hard levering the tyre onto wheel. not like a cycle tyre much easier. thats why I have asked my brother to come and help as I know I got the tyre on once, well hard to lever last bit over onto rim. its like you have 3 levers but can only hold 2 so need a 3rd person to use the 3rd lever. I still cant find anything sharp in outside or inside tyre

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Ok Update on wheel my brother helped me today, to fit new tube in tyre, and it went on quite easy really. now on the tyre it says 36 PSI but brother says you shouldnt put that much in tyre, as when the pump shows 22 bar he said thats about 32 psi. he said his car tyres he never put in the amount what tyre says. so what should presssure be should I make it 36 PSI. I am not fitting wheel just yet as leaving it over night to check nin morning if its still ok

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
yes on the tyre it says 36 PSI so for 36 PSI it has to say 2.6 bar is that correct. so would you put in 36 PSI
36 PSI is the maximum, so no I wouldn't put that much in, in the same way my road bike tyres say max psi 120 on the side of the tyre, but I only put in max 100 psi.
Go with what they recommend on the erider forum, linked above