Carry a passenger on my bike

MikeyBikey

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2013
If cwah must carry a passenger with a Brompton, if allowed, best buy/make something like Mission Piggyback trike Childs trailer trike Mission Cycles Ltd. ouch! Takes all stress off the bike and your passenger can get a workout pedalling :)

Last edited:

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
flecc suggestion is the only decent one. I don't want to loose brompton foldability.

Another possibility is the passengerpegs:
[video=youtube;fNrLHsd8JPk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNrLHsd8JPk[/video]

Unfortunately, the site seems to have closed :/

Maybe that would be the cleanest solution?

MikeyBikey

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2013
How about two brompton folding pedals, hinging on the ends of the back wheel axle, with skate wheels on end, running on ground so taking most stress off bike. Or even 2x of those folding scooters, minus the handlebars, 1 each side, hinging down like running boards, off the axle ends or rack.

MikeyBikey

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2013
Or just bungee a folding push scooter onto the rack and tow passenger on scooter, using bungee as tow rope! :-D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Or just bungee a folding push scooter onto the rack and tow passenger on scooter, using bungee as tow rope! :-D
That's probably legal too, since a solo motorbike can legally tow another solo motorbike.

MikeyBikey

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2013
That's probably legal too, since a solo motorbike can legally tow another solo motorbike.
Great, probably better towing with that trailer hitch idea that bolts a pieces of pipe with flattened & drilled ends onto the bike and scooter, with a piece of fibre-reinforced rubber hose jubilee clipped between them. Just flex enuff, while not letting scooter hit him in the a.. when he brakes! ;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No fixing, the approved and often used methods employ a rope held in place by hand or foot grip. I've used the hand method, towed bike with the rope around the headstock and then to the handgrip where the hand grips it. Slightest sign of a problem and the grip is released allowing the rope to slip off.

I don't like the footrest method, too tiring.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I think I've decided, I'm going to use the bike seat:

http://www.facebook.com/CompanionBikeSeat/photos_stream

I'll use it on my Dahon Jetstream:

It's a bit expensive at 190USD shipped + custom taxe... but it has also a big luggage space (199 mm (7.8 in) wide, 284 mm (11.2 in) long, 72 mm (2.8 in) deep) so I'd be able to put my battery pack inside.

It would be a very uneven bike with a BPM of 4.3kg on the rear and 5kg battery pack + 2kg luggage... but I hope it will still be manageable.

D

Deleted member 4366

I don't think it'll fit the Dahon because of the rear suspension. Don't forget that the wheel goes up and down,so you can't fix it to the wheel and the frame.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I was thinking the same thing but apparently the rear tube allows a bit of wobbling:

Still not convinced?

D

Deleted member 4366

That adjustment is just to get it level, then you lock it in place, so no movement. All the force of the suspension would go through that tie-bar, which would break it or your frame before you could carry your passenger as far as the nearest pub. If you can imagine it, you've got two people on a frame, which has a hinge between them, and they're kept apart by that adjuster rod. Each time you go over a bump, there will be a massive force on that rod, which will rip it straight off.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
The seller told me it has been tested on 4000lbs before it breaks and until now it was working on all suspension bikes.

He said it should be fine on my bike. And I'm also thinking to loosen the nut so it would allow to wobble

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
I'm very surprised that the Seller said it was working on all suspension bikes.

That type of fitting is only suitable for Hardtail bikes.

As the owner of a xtra-cycle cargo bike, I quite like the idea but can't see how it could possibly fit a rear suspension bike.

D

Deleted member 4366

I'll stick my neck out and say that it can't work on a suspension bike.

Also, if you were able to leave it loose, the seat would rattle backwards and forwards making it very uncomfortable for your passenger if they could stay on.

Last edited by a moderator:

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I'm quoting the seller
"We've had a bike seat on a full suspension bicycle and it worked great. As long as you are riding on flat roads, there isn't any issue at all. The passenger on the bike seat won't get the benefit of the suspension, but the cushion is well-padded and it's still a comfortable ride."

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
"Our bike seat frames have been load tested and it took well over 4,000 lbs before the tube-steel-alloy started to bend, so I don't think there's much to worry there."