Carry a passenger on my bike

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Today I carried back a friend to the train station on my Dahon jetstream:

It was like that:

(of course, the one behind was a WOMAN and not a dude like the picture)

For some reason, it rode surprisingly well. WAY BETTER than with the bikeseat I purchased for £150. Handling was quite easy. I could turn without too much problems. I could cruise at 25mph without issue....

So it's almost a problem solved!

But 2 issue remains:
- Her legs were dangling and I felt it was quite dangerous
- I had all my weight (and HER weight) on my shoulder. After 10 mn it really really REALLY felt tiring. I wanted to rest but I continued because I only had 5 more minutes

I don't know how I can sort out my second issue. I don't know if it's a posture issue.. maybe I should stand better?

Any idea?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Your discomfort was from being too close to the handlebars so the pedalling geometry and posture completely wrong. Small wheel folders are too short for that to be solved.

D

Deleted member 4366

You have rear suspension,so it's not a good idea to fit footrests to anywhere on the rear triangle. It'll be very uncomfortable for the passenger. You need a rigid back-end for that to work.

You have another problem though. In London, you'd get stopped by the police, and then they'd be asking a lot of difficult questions about your bike.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A pity that skirt guards like this one below have dropped almost completely out of use in the UK. One of those would have prevented that little girl's injury. Every bike used for carrying children on the back should have one:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
You have rear suspension,so it's not a good idea to fit footrests to anywhere on the rear triangle. It'll be very uncomfortable for the passenger. You need a rigid back-end for that to work.

You have another problem though. In London, you'd get stopped by the police, and then they'd be asking a lot of difficult questions about your bike.
Traffic on the left hand side, 'Bus Stop' written on the road?
It is London.
CWAH, get ready to get arrested again!

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
yeah I know it's problematic to carry passenger in london........

I need to find a way to have a bike that looks like it's made to carry someone. Some sort of super compact tandem

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I start to have "expertise" in carrying passenger. I've been carrying variety of people (actually only lightweight females :p ) on my bike like this:

It does work quite well and I don't have to pedal. The handling is quite good and comfort is decent.

But they have their legs dangling and I need to find a solution for that. What about these pegs?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oversize-Stele-BMX-Stunt-Grind-Pegs-Nuts-14mm-Axle-110mm-Length-Black-PG9982-/131214209933?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item1e8cf9f38d

Or maybe this but I'd have to find somewhere to place it?
http://www.banggood.com/Carbon-Fiber-Style-No-Cut-Frame-Sliders-Crash-Protector-For-SUZUKI-p-83512.html

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
With 2 peddlers an e-tandem should work quite well....
I thought about tandem and cargo bikes many times.

Unfortunatly I live on the first floor of the tiny flat and there is no way I can put a long bike in.

I can park it on the street, and that's what I plan to do on some bike, but it has to be a cheap <£100 bike

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
installed my folding footpegs!

Next step, extent the seat post!

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk