Cheaper bike

D

Deleted member 4366

You can change the handlebars, stem and tyres on any MTB, then add mudguards and lights to convert it it into a commuter/touring bike. The whole lot can be done for about £60, which is nothing when you're spending £1000 on the bike. In fact if you sell the bits you remove, you should get most of the £60 back. Get a bike with the right power system, then make the bike how you want it.

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
You can change the handlebars, stem and tyres on any MTB, then add mudguards and lights to convert it it into a commuter/touring bike. The whole lot can be done for about £60, which is nothing when you're spending £1000 on the bike. In fact if you sell the bits you remove, you should get most of the £60 back. Get a bike with the right power system, then make the bike how you want it.
I did think of this, but surley it would invalidate any warranty.

D

Deleted member 4366

Get their permission before you change. Why should it invalidate the warranty. Loads of people change the tyres, add mudgusrds and lights. What's that got to do with warranty?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
dmsims

That's a strong statement. Why do you say so?

dmsims

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2010
South Devon
For many reasons rather like the Porsche 911 it is a fundamentally flawed design and needs to be aborted.

In contrasting the Woosh Santana CD and Big bear in our hilly environment:

It is extremely unpleasant to ride a budget crank drive due to the following factors:

Hills are NOT a constant gradient

the CD will NOT go up 15% hills on throttle

Changing gear on a CD uphill involves coming to a standstill

A CD is slower up hills

Budget crank drives are DEAD long live the BPM hub

dmsims

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2010
South Devon
My wife's response is illustrative (she uses the bike to commute)

How was the new bike (Big Bear LS) ?
Much better

How was the gearchange?
Much, much better

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Woosh make better and better bikes, the Woosh CDs arrived about a year before the Big Bear and were much better than the Sirocco 2 (that preceded them) in terms of climbing power, which was better than the Sirocco 1 introduced 3 years ago etc - and the Big Bear LS is the most recent one, it delivers about 42% more power than the CDs. Just wait until the next Woosh CD (Krieger) this autumn.

Last edited:

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
My wife's response is illustrative (she uses the bike to commute)

How was the new bike (Big Bear LS) ?
Much better

How was the gearchange?
Much, much better
The big bear being better doesn't make the Santana Cd bad. I've tried the Cd uphill as I reported on here. Whilst it didn't match my Kudos Typhoon uphill it wasn't bad.

I don't understand the bit about a CD NOT going up a 15% hill on throttle alone. Does the big bear do it?

dmsims

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2010
South Devon
The big bear being better doesn't make the Santana Cd bad. I've tried the Cd uphill as I reported on here. Whilst it didn't match my Kudos Typhoon uphill it wasn't bad.

I don't understand the bit about a CD NOT going up a 15% hill on throttle alone. Does the big bear do it?
My point about the CD not doing steep gradients is twofold

1. People have stated that it will - this is a lie

2. One of the strategies promulgated to mitigate the awful gearchange is to use the throttle but see point 1

No the Big Bear won't do it either but it doesn't matter because you can change gear(s) at will without any issues

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the 15% gradient on throttle claim is with rider (75) + bike (25) = 100kg.
Do you weigh more than that?

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
My point about the CD not doing steep gradients is twofold

1. People have stated that it will - this is a lie

2. One of the strategies promulgated to mitigate the awful gearchange is to use the throttle but see point 1

No the Big Bear won't do it either but it doesn't matter because you can change gear(s) at will without any issues
In my post about the Woosh Santana Cd I mentioned being in gear 5 as the hill steepened. It was too high a gear deliberately as I wanted to check the gear changing. It clunked from 5 to 4, then from 4 to 3 less of a clunk. From 3 to 2 it was OK and from 2 to 1 it was seamless. If I had just been out playing instead of trying to see how the gear change went, I'd not have been in such a high gear.

I'm prepared to bet I can get up the same road with no gear change problems. I'd be in the correct gear for the gradient at each point.

I'm not claiming a CD or a hub is best, I've posted plenty of times for people to see my bike adventures but I wouldn't claim a CD is rubbish and should be abandoned.

Horses for courses.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the Woosh CDs have 14A controllers, the Bears have 20A controllers.
That explains the difference in power. But the table will turn with the forthcoming Krieger CD.

hoppy

May 25, 2010
the Woosh CDs have 14A controllers, the Bears have 20A controllers.
That explains the difference in power. But the table will turn with the forthcoming Krieger CD.
Krieger sounds good,trex.What gears will it have?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Reactions: hoppy

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
In my post about the Woosh Santana Cd I mentioned being in gear 5 as the hill steepened. It was too high a gear deliberately as I wanted to check the gear changing. It clunked from 5 to 4, then from 4 to 3 less of a clunk. From 3 to 2 it was OK and from 2 to 1 it was seamless. If I had just been out playing instead of trying to see how the gear change went, I'd not have been in such a high gear.

I'm prepared to bet I can get up the same road with no gear change problems. I'd be in the correct gear for the gradient at each point.

I'm not claiming a CD or a hub is best, I've posted plenty of times for people to see my bike adventures but I wouldn't claim a CD is rubbish and should be abandoned.

Horses for courses.
Not sure what you're writing there. Do you mean you were in a higher gear, that is a taller gear to begin with and then changed down? That is went to a shorter gear, a bigger back sprocket from a smaller one? Because you seem to be describing going up the gears not down.

Or are you saying that the change from the second shortest gear to the shortest was the easiest? Because that change is the hardest to do smoothly with power on since the mech has to lift the chain the furthest.

hoppy

May 25, 2010
8-speed derailleur with gear cable sensor.
That will be interesting. I suppose it works like touching a brake lever to momentarily cut power. Could be the answer for those too inept to manage cd derailleurs at present!

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
That will be interesting. I suppose it works like touching a brake lever to momentarily cut power. Could be the answer for those too inept to manage cd derailleurs at present!
It's pretty easy to change down smoothly with this rather crude system by momentarily killing the power. But up changes are clunky too in full power mode unless you do the same.

Quite easy to do really but a pain in the arse nevertheless. A bit like double declutching on an old crash box where up changes take longer than down ones which can just be slipped in much more quickly with a blip of the throttle.