Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Original Belstaff waxed cotton high quality large motorcycle over mittens designed to be worn over your choice of under glove that in my case this winter has just been a pair of pound shop cheap woolen style gloves work remarkable well for me.

They are completely wind and waterproof and are loose enough to trap a large insulating quantity of air. I know it is old school and sounds like it should not work but for me has proved a magically warm combination.

I once rode a motorbike after work from Surrey to Blackpool on a cold windy wet winter evening maintaining 80 ish +or+40 mph every now and then most of the time (shush) all the way there and my hands remained toasty and warm all the way. nuff said. Being Blackpool the bar was still open at the hotel, marvelous.

You will have to seek them out on Ebay now but they should not cost more than about a fiver. Even if you are an unbeliever give them a try and be amazed.

Reactions: gray198

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
You will have to seek them out on Ebay now but they should not cost more than about a fiver. Even if you are an unbeliever give them a try and be amazed.
Can you still operate the gear shifters with those on?
Are these them?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-BELSTAFF-BLACK-MITTS-WATERPROOF-GLOVES-OVERMITTS-Sml-NEW-MADE-IN-ENGLAND/201811759833?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=2&asc=20140122125356&meid=e4ed8e8c51e7432bb779bd02e4653b86&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=6&sd=201811544170

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
sadly these are nylon rather than waxed cotton so are not the same as the ones I use, though they may be just as good.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I have always suffered from cold hands even when young and fit. Now I am old and decrepit it's even worse. Went a ride the other day and even with two pairs of gloves my fingers felt like sausages. never yet found any gloves that solve the problem. Any suggestions. Why can't some clever inventor type person design some heated handelbar grips that run off the battery. I know. Just wishful thinking

Hi you could experiment with Epsom salts . Put it in plastic pouches and melt it in the microwave. The melting point is low and The latent heat of crystallisation is high should work for a while. These pouches on the outside of your fingers in a wider gauntlet should do the trick.

Reactions: gray198

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hi you could experiment with Epsom salts . Put it in plastic pouches and melt it in the microwave. The melting point is low and The latent heat of crystallisation is high should work for a while. These pouches on the outside of your fingers in a wider gauntlet should do the trick.
....... It's not it's true melting point which is at 1100 C but there is a a specific form at 48 c when it changes structure. I have never verified this but I do recall it being considered as a thermal store

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
....... It's not it's true melting point which is at 1100 C but there is a a specific form at 48 c when it changes structure. I have never verified this but I do recall it being considered as a thermal store
... Having looked it up Glaubers salts , which can be obtained from any pharmacy, would be even more suitable. The phase change is at 32 degree. It is chemically non irritating non toxic and cheap. Crystals packed and sealed into balloons or other plastic flexible tubes, also obtained in a pharmacy and heated in the microwave, ... Just make sure you don't get hauled up as a drug dealer.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
On occasions i have used heat pads (disposable). I believe you can buy reusable, heated via microwave. Other than these, not sure i'd over think it.

Linfitter

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2012
Huddersfield
The human body is a remarkable thing, it can work at a large variance in surrounding temperature efficiently as long as it can maintain its central body core temperature at 98.4˚F / 27˚C. If the ambient temperature drops, as an instance say to 15˚C this will have a cooling effect on the body which in order to protect itself and its inner essential organs shuts down supplying blood to the extremities hence the person so being cooled will feel that his/her feet or fingers appear to be like ice. It would be interesting if all those who have contributed to this thread invested in a thermometer from their local Chemist for about £3-4 and measured their core body temperature before setting off for a ride when they apparently feel comfortable and then again when they become aware that their hands or feet are becoming cold. You may have noticed if you are into Wildlife that Polar Bears and Wolves don’t seem to suffer from this ‘cold’ problem neither do the Inuits or Eskimo people who live in the same Artic conditions probably because they kill and wear the pelts of Polar Bears and Wolves! So you may find that it isn’t wind chill on the ‘gloves’ that you are wearing that is cooling your fingers but your body that isn’t supplying them with their usual supply of blood.

P.S a sign of hyp-‘O’- thermia is that the mind thinks that its body is warm and will try to discard clothing or be happy with the clothes that it is wearing the solution to this false state of affairs is to warm the body up and maintain its true working core body temperature. Personally I don’t find cold extremities too much of a problem when out riding even in minus temperatures with a high wind chill the reason is probably my wearing of a ‘T’ shirt , Sweater, heavy Pullover, fleece lined Jacket, Fluorescent over Jacket, Long Johns, Trousers, over trousers and three pairs of socks my problem can be one of ‘dehydration’ but I find the taking a flask of Coffee and stopping every 3-4 miles for a top up while watching the local wild life an enjoyable solution.

Hope my ‘lateral’ thinking will give you something to think about and maybe you will buy a thermometer and let us (browsers) be aware of your conclusions.

That’s enough from me. Don’t want to overdo it!

Yours sincerely

Linfitter.

• Disagree
Reactions: D8ve and gray198

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
The original poster referred to a medical condition renauld s condition which was exerberated by age and cold. Fortunately I do not have this condition and have little difficulty cycling even in these conditions wearing sandals, ordinary wool groves and a feather lined anorak, often left open.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The human body is a remarkable thing, it can work at a large variance in surrounding temperature efficiently as long as it can maintain its central body core temperature at 98.4˚F / 27˚C. If the ambient temperature drops, as an instance say to 15˚C this will have a cooling effect on the body which in order to protect itself and its inner essential organs shuts down supplying blood to the extremities hence the person so being cooled will feel that his/her feet or fingers appear to be like ice. It would be interesting if all those who have contributed to this thread invested in a thermometer from their local Chemist for about £3-4 and measured their core body temperature before setting off for a ride when they apparently feel comfortable and then again when they become aware that their hands or feet are becoming cold. You may have noticed if you are into Wildlife that Polar Bears and Wolves don’t seem to suffer from this ‘cold’ problem neither do the Inuits or Eskimo people who live in the same Artic conditions probably because they kill and wear the pelts of Polar Bears and Wolves! So you may find that it isn’t wind chill on the ‘gloves’ that you are wearing that is cooling your fingers but your body that isn’t supplying them with their usual supply of blood.

P.S a sign of hyp-‘O’- thermia is that the mind thinks that its body is warm and will try to discard clothing or be happy with the clothes that it is wearing the solution to this false state of affairs is to warm the body up and maintain its true working core body temperature. Personally I don’t find cold extremities too much of a problem when out riding even in minus temperatures with a high wind chill the reason is probably my wearing of a ‘T’ shirt , Sweater, heavy Pullover, fleece lined Jacket, Fluorescent over Jacket, Long Johns, Trousers, over trousers and three pairs of socks my problem can be one of ‘dehydration’ but I find the taking a flask of Coffee and stopping every 3-4 miles for a top up while watching the local wild life an enjoyable solution.

Hope my ‘lateral’ thinking will give you something to think about and maybe you will buy a thermometer and let us (browsers) be aware of your conclusions.

That’s enough from me. Don’t want to overdo it!

Yours sincerely

Linfitter.
Using adequate clothing layers I have no trouble keeping a high core temperature outdoors in any conditions, but that makes no difference if one has Reynauds syndrome as I do. Then as soon as a hand for example senses a triggering temperature, the blood supply to the fingers instantly cuts off, despite my body being as warm as toast. Once that happens the only recovery is by surrounding the hand with warmth, such as immersion in warm water for a long period.

VictoryV

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2012
near Biggleswade
Using adequate clothing layers I have no trouble keeping a high core temperature outdoors in any conditions, but that makes no difference if one has Reynauds syndrome as I do. Then as soon as a hand for example senses a triggering temperature, the blood supply to the fingers instantly cuts off, despite my body being as warm as toast. Once that happens the only recovery is by surrounding the hand with warmth, such as immersion in warm water for a long period.
There is a similar uncontrollable reflex trigger effect for those with angina, cold air on the face causes blood vessels to contract and cause the angina discomfort. A puff of glycerine trinitrate spray (actually nitro glycerine!) causes the blood vessels to relax and remove the pending angina discomfort. Mr Flecc you may want to discuss this with your Doctor as a possible alleviation for the RS problem. There is one possible down-side the spray can cause headaches in some people, but not for me

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There is a similar uncontrollable reflex trigger effect for those with angina, cold air on the face causes blood vessels to contract and cause the angina discomfort. A puff of glycerine trinitrate spray (actually nitro glycerine!) causes the blood vessels to relax and remove the pending angina discomfort. Mr Flecc you may want to discuss this with your Doctor as a possible alleviation for the RS problem. There is one possible down-side the spray can cause headaches in some people, but not for me
I already take two blood vessel relaxant medications but the frequency of one had to be cut because they were triggering my heart rate going crazy. For an example, a few beats at a normal rate, followed by a surge at well over 200 beats a minute, then the heart stopping for a few beats interval before restarting with the normal beats again. When this occurs it repeats over and over again, leaving me weak and exhausted. So I now live a fine line between high blood pressure and this heart problem, balanced by exact medication.

My mother had a a heart valve replaced when they were still experimental and only Barts were doing a few in trials. Much more recently my brother had the same, so we can take an educated guess at what lies behind my problem, a duff valve.

But I've been opting to avoid that operation since the animal valves used now only last around six years. My trouble started in 2007, so as that is nine years ago my decision has been wise.

I just adjust my life and medications to suit my needs day by day. I'm still able to do heavy work or walk long distances on suitable days, and being retired I can tailor my activities to suit my circumstances of the moment.