cold hands

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The human body is a remarkable thing, it can work at a large variance in surrounding temperature efficiently as long as it can maintain its central body core temperature at 98.4˚F / 27˚C.

Linfitter.
Check you metric figures core temperature of 27 Celsius and your almost dead. It's 36-38 Celsius your body is happy at.
Pedantic but this one is life critical.

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
I have always suffered from cold hands even when young and fit. Now I am old and decrepit it's even worse. Went a ride the other day and even with two pairs of gloves my fingers felt like sausages. never yet found any gloves that solve the problem. Any suggestions. Why can't some clever inventor type person design some heated handelbar grips that run off the battery. I know. Just wishful thinking
Shops like Maplin often sell battery heated gloves at reasonable prices. Not sure what voltage they operate on but can't be too hard to adapt. Heated handlebar grips are common on motorcycles, 12volt for sure and mor rugged.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Shops like Maplin often sell battery heated gloves at reasonable prices. Not sure what voltage they operate on but can't be too hard to adapt.
The Maplin ones use three AA batteries in each glove. They sit in a small plastic box with slide switch, loose in a zipped pocket on the back of each glove. The box connects to the glove lead though a standard DC plug, so easily adapted to an external supply, omitting the battery boxes.

They heat to 40 degrees C peak and the three AA batteries typically last a half hour. The heating element is on the palm just below the first finger joints, so probably not robust enough for work that requires very high grip pressures.

Not sure if they are still available, I can't find them using their search facility but that means little since it's not a good one.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
I had a pair of the maplin ones given me,one stopped working. If I want to keep my hands warm and dry I use a pair of rubber gloves under my normal gloves. I always keep a pair in my puncture outfit.

Linfitter

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2012
Huddersfield
Check you metric figures core temperature of 27 Celsius and your almost dead. It's 36-38 Celsius your body is happy at.
Pedantic but this one is life critical.
In the words of Captain Mainwaring of 'Dads Army' I wondered how long it would be before someone spotted that one!.

Sorry for the slip

Yours sincerely

Linfitter.

Martin56

Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2017
HP3
Only an idiot would wear gloves, they separate your fingers so each becomes individually frozen. wear a big pair of woolly socks on your hands, that way the fingers keep in contact and warm each other.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Only an idiot would wear gloves, they separate your fingers so each becomes individually frozen. wear a big pair of woolly socks on your hands, that way the fingers keep in contact and warm each other.
Mitts are definitely warmer, but not totally practical for cycling

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
.... Hang on" idiot i" s a bit strong. Mittens is a generic term for gloves which keep the fingers together and separates out the thumb. A pretty effective compromise