Confused and looking for 48v 250w rear hub since Yose won't sell me 250w 36v kit with 15ah battery

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
That makes sense but I find myself alternating the use of either side of my brakes, so I guess it's been worth the trouble to me.

--

Another update from me:

I've been really impressed with the range I get from my Greenlance (20ah 36v) battery so far. I ride on level 5 and pedalling. I can ride 40 miles and still have either one or two bars to spare (voltage down to 35.9 - I still don't know the cut off point, I think it's either 32v or 30v for this battery)

Something makes me think I can reach 50 or so miles that way.

The battery charger looks safe and good quality as well.

And the Yose kit has been really good so far, granted I've only used it for a month of so. But it's all good.

I'm in my 30s and riding a bike for the first time since my early teens has been really fun. And I'm saving ~£25 a week on train fares on top of that.

On a side note, I did end up getting one of those cheap waterproof battery covers from Ebay, and it served me rather well last week. I unexpectedly rode under heavy rain for about 30 minutes and it kept my battery fully dry.

Still I don't fancy riding under rainy conditions again, it's not ideal for the kit, the battery and the bike.

I had to clean the chain, cassette, derailleur, dry as best as I could and then lubricate it. I used the lubricant version of GT85 that has PTFE or teflon in it, but I did also buy a more specific chain lube - but the bike has been riding really smooth so I haven't bothered with it yet.

In a few words: I've had the kit for about a month, all good. Happy days.
If you wear a poncho/Cape, it not only keeps you dry, but it also keeps the rain off all the electrics, and you can use it as a bike cover when you oark the bike. Win, win, win!

The only problem is your lights for winter night riding, though you can get them with a clear panel on the front to let the light throgh if you search.

• Useful
Reactions: throwawaychap

throwawaychap

Pedelecer
Dec 19, 2023
Wow! There really is something for everything out there.

Too bad my helmet doesn't have a place where I could fit lights on. But I've seen clip-on type lights that might work with this poncho. I may end up getting one at some point.

On another note, I've had my SR Suntour NCX suspension seatpost for a week and I'd say my commute feels about 70% more comfortable.

I ordered it from Aliexpress, so not sure if it's genuine or not - Amazon didn't have the 27.2mm in stock, and Tredz priced it at £120, which was more than twice what I paid for it. Those on Ebay are probably just Aliexpress dropships/imports, so either way they're the same you get from Ali anyway.

And today I have upped my controller from 17A to 18A. No overheating issues from my primitive touch test. Battery remained cold to the touch, controller box likewise - motor was lukewarm after each leg of my commute.

I removed my throttle a few weeks ago since I enjoy pedalling. On a light-ish gear, pedalling on level 5 - on a flat I get 34km/h on a full battery.

Reactions: thelarkbox

throwawaychap

Pedelecer
Dec 19, 2023
Another update from me:

Both my Yose power kit and my Greenlance battery have not missed a beat and have been working faultlessly. Fingers crossed they remain that way.

I'm really impressed with them, and pleased with the investment I made.
So if there's anyone still on their research phase like I was a few months ago; this thread can be of help I feel.

I also really really like this 700c Polygon Path 3 bike I got on sale. The components feel excellent for the price - from someone who hadn't ridden a bicycle since my teens (I'm in my 30s).

And I also vehemently vouch for these Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres. They're amazing.

Having said all that, I can't help but admit I have been eyeing up bikes or kits out there that could go a little quicker.

Although I tend to dislike fat tyre ebikes, that Fiido T1 Pro (the latest model whose frame does not break in half like its predecessor reportedly did) looks interesting.

It's got a 48v, 750w nominal motor, I think 20ah battery. 80kg cargo capacity is a nice bonus too.

But I'm 6'2, and whenever I see guys riding these bikes of similar frame, pedalling always looks so painful - I see men pedalling on these things with their knees flared out wide - presumably because the seat can't be adjusted high enough for proper posture?

Ready made bikes like that can be tempting, but I've heard it's difficult to disconnect the motor cable on that Fiido, changing that LCD screen looks tricky too should it fail.

Now I'm back at looking at kits; if the law indeed winds up changing. I could see myself getting a 500w (nominal, although as I've seen here, these numbers mean very little) and a 48v battery.

I reiterate, I really really like my bike and how it feels to pedal. It feels like a proper bike, I think I get 22mph on pedalling and either 19mph or 20mph on throttle (which I find boring, pedalling feels nicer). And I probably get 50-60 miles range on this 36v 20ah battery which is excellent.

I get a really good sweat on it on my way back home - which is mostly incline. 35 minutes of consistent pedalling because I want to exercise. 2 birds, 1 stone type of deal.

But in the future, I'm tempted to see what a 48v /500w feels like, especially if the regulations change.

I'm thinking AKM128 or one of those bafang kits.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Although I tend to dislike fat tyre ebikes, that Fiido T1 Pro (the latest model whose frame does not break in half like its predecessor reportedly did) looks interesting.

It's got a 48v, 750w nominal motor, I think 20ah battery. 80kg cargo capacity is a nice bonus too.

But I'm 6'2, and whenever I see guys riding these bikes of similar frame, pedalling always looks so painful - I see men pedalling on these things with their knees flared out wide - presumably because the seat can't be adjusted high enough for proper posture?
Why do you think saddle can't be adjusted properly on this bike?

But in the future, I'm tempted to see what a 48v /500w feels like, especially if the regulations change.
Why would you need 500W rated motor?

PS Did you manage to get Polygon for £200? It was a good deal.

throwawaychap

Pedelecer
Dec 19, 2023
Why do you think saddle can't be adjusted properly on this bike?

Why would you need 500W rated motor?

PS Did you manage to get Polygon for £200? It was a good deal.
Because by looking at pictures of said Fiido T1 Pro, it looks like it can be adjusted like most bikes.

But upon watching reviews and seeing people in real life as I ride - especially men of taller stature - it doesn't seem to be the case because they all pedal with the same awkward style, with the knees flared out wide.

So I conclude the seatpost mustn't go high enough to properly adjust for tall folk. But I'd have to ride one to determine it properly. And that's the catch with these Chinese bikes, there's no test drive as far as I know.

And yes, I did. I got it even cheaper. £170 (with a discount code on top of that price) for the Path 3 with the hydraulic brakes and matt black finish. I'm over the moon with the bike.

And I don't necessarily need a 500w motor, but I'm curious about 48v systems still. I guess I've been watching too many e-bike videos from our American brethren, and it's been influencing me.

I find it interesting watching people commute, do deliveries or just leisurely ride on their bikes all across the globe.

Last edited:

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Because by looking at pictures of said Fiido T1 Pro, it looks like it can be adjusted like most bikes.

But upon watching reviews and seeing people in real life as I ride - especially men of taller stature - it doesn't seem to be the case because they all pedal with the same awkward style, with the knees flared out wide.
Maximum seat height is 1180mm according to specs. Check on your bike if it is OK for you. If that is not high enough I don't see why you can't replace seatpost.
Heaving that said this bike was designed to be a moped with pedals for legal reason. It is not optimized for proper cycling. It looks cool, yes, but I don't like it. Not my cup of tea.

And yes, I did. I got it even cheaper. £170 (with a discount code on top of that price) for the Path 3 with the hydraulic brakes and matt black finish. I'm over the moon with the bike.
Nice.

And I don't necessarily need a 500w motor, but I'm curious about 48v systems still. I guess I've been watching too many e-bike videos from our American brethren, and it's been influencing me.
Yes... those large American 4x4 cars and pickup trucks look cool too. Right up to the moment when you must go to petrol station or find out you can't really drive it on narrow UK roads :)

If you want powerful motor and 48V battery, you don't have to wait for legislation change. You can have it now and perfectly legal.

• Informative

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Another update from me:

Both my Yose power kit and my Greenlance battery have not missed a beat and have been working faultlessly. Fingers crossed they remain that way.

I'm really impressed with them, and pleased with the investment I made.
So if there's anyone still on their research phase like I was a few months ago; this thread can be of help I feel.

I also really really like this 700c Polygon Path 3 bike I got on sale. The components feel excellent for the price - from someone who hadn't ridden a bicycle since my teens (I'm in my 30s).

And I also vehemently vouch for these Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres. They're amazing.

Having said all that, I can't help but admit I have been eyeing up bikes or kits out there that could go a little quicker.

Ready made bikes like that can be tempting, but I've heard it's difficult to disconnect the motor cable on that Fiido, changing that LCD screen looks tricky too should it fail.

Now I'm back at looking at kits; if the law indeed winds up changing. I could see myself getting a 500w (nominal, although as I've seen here, these numbers mean very little) and a 48v battery.

I reiterate, I really really like my bike and how it feels to pedal. It feels like a proper bike, I think I get 22mph on pedalling and either 19mph or 20mph on throttle (which I find boring, pedalling feels nicer). And I probably get 50-60 miles range on this 36v 20ah battery which is excellent.

I get a really good sweat on it on my way back home - which is mostly incline. 35 minutes of consistent pedalling because I want to exercise. 2 birds, 1 stone type of deal.

I'm thinking AKM128 or one of those bafang kits.
There are 250w versions of the AKM128. You don't need to wait for the law to change. If you get a e
36v 260 rpm or 48v 328 rpm one, a 48v Greenlance battery and a 17 A KT controller, you'll never want another ebike.

throwawaychap

Pedelecer
Dec 19, 2023
Maximum seat height is 1180mm according to specs. Check on your bike if it is OK for you. If that is not high enough I don't see why you can't replace seatpost.
Heaving that said this bike was designed to be a moped with pedals for legal reason. It is not optimized for proper cycling. It looks cool, yes, but I don't like it. Not my cup of tea.

Yes... those large American 4x4 cars and pickup trucks look cool too. Right up to the moment when you must go to petrol station or find out you can't really drive it on narrow UK roads :)

If you want powerful motor and 48V battery, you don't have to wait for legislation change. You can have it now and perfectly legal.
Sadly I have to agree with you. It's probably just the little boy in me wanting to see what a bike of this kind would be like but it would probably end up being a bad purchase in terms of fit and utility and possibly even maintenance.

And I reiterate I don't even like these fat tyre e-bikes, but the Specialized Globe ST and LT (not sold in the UK, and too expensive anyway) and this Fiido T1 Pro have caught my eye.

Having said that, I have no urgent need for another bike, I'm just pondering. The world of e-bikes is a lot of fun, it's a shame I didn't delve into it sooner.

There are 250w versions of the AKM128. You don't need to wait for the law to change. If you get a e
36v 260 rpm or 48v 328 rpm one, a 48v Greenlance battery and a 17 A KT controller, you'll never want another ebike.
Interesting, I did not know that. Thank you.
If I were to do it, in the future of course, I'd probably go for the 328rpm, native 48v one and not overvolt it.

But that sounds lovely. 48v 328rpm, 48v bat, 17a controller.

Talking of controllers, are you still running with your 14a one?

And do people here rate AKM / Aikema motors above the Bafang ones? In terms of reliability, durability and maintenance?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
And do people here rate AKM / Aikema motors above the Bafang ones? In terms of reliability, durability and maintenance?
Bafang is rock solid. I sell both brands.

• Informative

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Sadly I have to agree with you. It's probably just the little boy in me wanting to see what a bike of this kind would be like but it would probably end up being a bad purchase in terms of fit and utility and possibly even maintenance.

And I reiterate I don't even like these fat tyre e-bikes, but the Specialized Globe ST and LT (not sold in the UK, and too expensive anyway) and this Fiido T1 Pro have caught my eye.

Having said that, I have no urgent need for another bike, I'm just pondering. The world of e-bikes is a lot of fun, it's a shame I didn't delve into it sooner.

Interesting, I did not know that. Thank you.
If I were to do it, in the future of course, I'd probably go for the 328rpm, native 48v one and not overvolt it.

But that sounds lovely. 48v 328rpm, 48v bat, 17a controller.

Talking of controllers, are you still running with your 14a one?

You're not over-volting a 36v motor. Those two motors are exactly the same. The voltage is just a reference for the speed. You can run just about any 36v geared hub-motor at 48v as long as it wasn't fast with 46v.

• Informative

throwawaychap

Pedelecer
Dec 19, 2023
Bafang is rock solid. I sell both brands.
Thank you Wooshie.
From my research back then, I only heard good things about both, provided you picked the correct motor for your needs.

You're not over-volting a 36v motor. Those two motors are exactly the same. The voltage is just a reference for the speed. You can run just about any 36v geared hub-motor at 48v as long as it wasn't fast with 46v.
Duly noted.

So it's 36v 260 rpm or 48v 328 rpm for 700c wheels. Would that be the same for 27.5 also?
I reiterate this is just an abstract, non urgent plan, but who knows if I might wind up getting another bike for this hypothetical new kit also.