Help! Conversion suggestions

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
So I have a Cannondale EQ Adventure step thru arriving in about a week and haven't decided which kit to put on it yet, I do know 750w is my sweet spot and I rarely go above 15mph but need the oomph for a steep hill I take a few times daily .
What I'm looking for is suggestions for what you would put on it and how as in positioning of kit components for as neat a look as possible.
Bear in mind I am not overly keen on rear rack mounted batteries and do have a brand new 17.5ah 48v Hailong battery lying around unused from my previous project.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
If you didn't mount it on the rear rack, that leaves the downtube ? It would get in the way of "stepping through"? If you wanted something very powerful for hills but wanted to stay at legal -ish assist speeds
DWG22C 48V (17 amps controller at 48v) but needs a 180mm rotor, don't know if you can change that easily with an adapter

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I reckon half of the members on here want electric mopeds but want to call them e- bikes.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
I decided to build an electric moped. Picked up a 39 year old frame with a v5 from an auction last week for £170 plus buyers fees. So no mot required after next September and free tax the following April.

Most of the stuff that came with it was junk and has gone to the recycling centre, including the engine and exhaust. Nice 5 star wheels though. Shame I can’t use the back one.

It‘s going to get a rear hub motor. And a 20s 10p battery where the engine used to be.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: guerney and esuark

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
£100 through Bikesure. Much cheaper than a Surron or Talaria.

I estimate total build cost at £3K with all new parts, including blasting and powder coating the frame.

I’m going to build the battery and that will be around £1K and motor/controller another £800.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I decided to build an electric moped. Picked up a 39 year old frame with a v5 from an auction last week for £170 plus buyers fees. So no mot required after next September and free tax the following April.

Most of the stuff that came with it was junk and has gone to the recycling centre, including the engine and exhaust. Nice 5 star wheels though. Shame I can’t use the back one.

It‘s going to get a rear hub motor. And a 20s 10p battery where the engine used to be.

The difference being you have v5 ,register and insuring it, much different to those who fit 750w mid drives or 1kw hubs and call them e bikes and ride with what they think is impunity.

Reactions: Bikes4two

esuark

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent

I'm intrigued, interested and look forward to see how you get on.

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
So I have a Cannondale EQ Adventure step thru arriving in about a week and (...)I'm looking for is suggestions for what you would put on it and how as in positioning of kit components for as neat a look as possible.
Well... I will start by putting a battery on downtube and see how bike looks like. Then I will do the same with rear rack and decide which is more aesthetically pleasing.

Rear hub seems like a perfect fit, but I think I will go with TSDZ2b.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It depends on the bike usage and terrain, personnally for my use I would opt for a small light discreet front hub motor but then again my terrain is fairly flat.
A mid drive is a little unneccassary though it is the modern trend driven by the major oem proprietary brands that think every one should own a sports/mtb bike type mid drive.
The drive should type used should be driven more by as I have mentioned the intended usage and terrain. A mid drive is pointless if one is only pootling around locally or for riding short distances.

Last edited:

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
I only have experience with hub drives but my understanding of regulation mid drives is that you need to keep up with the motor pedaling in order to keep the motor running. so for someone wanting to hop on and ride thanks to the benefit of the motor the ghost pedaling tactic of us lazy hub motor users isnt an option?

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
After getting myself hyped up for a torque sensing mid drive, i think i am actually more inclined to go for a rear hub, i have just about managed to get away with 2 bikes being kept indoors a third would be the straw.
That being the case it would be my Fiido d4s that would get the chop so i would be without a rear hub powered bike, i have my bbs02 for long distance fair weather cruising so this will be my everyday all weather workhorse.
So with that now established in my mind any recommendations on a waterproof 750w 48v reliable rear hub kit.

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
I only have experience with hub drives but my understanding of regulation mid drives is that you need to keep up with the motor pedaling in order to keep the motor running. so for someone wanting to hop on and ride thanks to the benefit of the motor the ghost pedaling tactic of us lazy hub motor users isnt an option?
Yes why i am going to go hub drive with this build for errands and such it just makes more sense.
I rode my mid drive most of the summer, and didnt enjoy the having to think about gearing up n down all the time the hub relaxes me

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
have you thought of torque sensing with a hub drive?
it offers the same natural ride feel of a torque sensing kit plus the lower cost of a hub drive.
My BBTS kit without wheel and without motor is on sale for £100 at the moment.
You need to add to that a wheel with 9-pin connector and a battery.
I also sell the whole kit, including wheel and battery. Price for the whole kit starts at £449.
Head over to https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?tskit for details and installation manual.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
have you thought of torque sensing with a hub drive?
it offers the same natural ride feel of a torque sensing plus the lower cost of a hub drive.
My BBTS kit without wheel and without motor is on sale for £100 at the moment.
You need to add to that a wheel with 9-pin connector and a battery.
I also sell the whole kit, including wheel and battery. Price for the whole kit starts at £449.
Head over to https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?tskit for details and installation manual.
I will certainly take a look, sounds intriguing

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
the ghost pedaling tactic of us lazy hub motor users isnt an option?
It's possible to get the BBS01B motor doing nearly all of the work, by pedalling too slow using the absolute minimum pedal push force possible on highest assistance (firmware tweak "Keep current" at 100% helps). I don't know if similar can be done with the TSDZ2 because I've never tried one, and certainly will never buy one.

• Informative
Reactions: thelarkbox

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Woosh 360wh whole kit at £449 sounds like a good deal.

Not all mid drive is TS the bafang bbs is PAS /cadence sensor.

Last edited:

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
750w takes you into direct drive hub territory where i think for hills you want a geared hub, im sure geared 750w hubs exist but you will have to shop in China or the US for a good selection.
i have had a little experience with larger direct drive hubs and hills are not exactly where they shine..

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
TSDZ with OSF can have cadence PAS not sure though if this is possible without OSF.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Pointless having a 750w/1000w motor unless one is going to pump 25/30a through it to get any benifit, then you are into more expensive battery territory as well.
The Akiema 128h & hcst models are rated 800w and are geared hubs.