Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Reactions: Jaxter

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Blimey, pausing on order they want 139 quid shipping on a an 155 quid order
Another thing to look out for is their shipping calculator doesn't work correctly. Often, when you order a built up wheel, they'll notify you that you have to pay about £10 more. It's not a scam. It's just the way it works. Don't forget that you may also be asked to pay VAT when it arrives in the UK, then about £10 payment charge by the shipping company, which you can avoid by paying the VAT direct to Inland Revenue, but it's extra messing about.

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
Another thing to look out for is their shipping calculator doesn't work correctly. Often, when you order a built up wheel, they'll notify you that you have to pay about £10 more. It's not a scam. It's just the way it works. Don't forget that you may also be asked to pay VAT when it arrives in the UK, then about £10 payment charge by the shipping company, which you can avoid by paying the VAT direct to Inland Revenue, but it's extra messing about.
So fortunate i am in a position where i do not have to rush things, i am no stranger to high postage charges from abroad but this seems extreme i just checked i paid £94 postage for a 8.4kg package from China about a month ago, that was a slower postal line 7 to 14 days though, so in comparison sounds about right

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I wonder why you choose buying from China. On the face of it, the kit is not particularly better than what you can find in the UK, the price is not particularly much cheaper after you factor in the duty and vat.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Blimey, pausing on order they want 139 quid shipping on a an 155 quid order
This is why I bought my motor as a bare unit and learned to build the wheel, great fun and not such a dark art as I thought. And just to prove it, here's the AKM128cst in the 26" wheel of my recumbent. That's a 180mm disc it's up against.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Try Topbikekit , though doubt p&p will be much cheaper if ordering a a bilt wheel.
The ony time worth ordering a hub motor is as a bare unit and learning to build a wheel, doing so isn't as difficult as one would expect .

Reactions: harrys

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
fwiw i built a rear wheel on a motorised hub recently, take your time, and sus out a good working area with support for the rim while you thread it and its a doddle, just take your time and use a simple 1 cross pattern which requires easy threading in alternate rim holes. the hardest aspect is the 'harsh treatment' phase after finally getting it perfect for the 1st time.. i found it quite a hurdle.. but worth it ;)

edit my top tips..
If using a round multi size spoke spanner tape over all unused slots, it will save you hours!! and a spare tip sharpened/ground spoke makes the perfect nipple setting tool if using a recessed rim..

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
So fortunate i am in a position where i do not have to rush things, i am no stranger to high postage charges from abroad but this seems extreme i just checked i paid £94 postage for a 8.4kg package from China about a month ago, that was a slower postal line 7 to 14 days though, so in comparison sounds about right
The only thing that counts is the total cost - how much do you pay and what you get.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The only thing that counts is the total cost
How about trouble free, time saving, compliance, product insurance, neatness? Buying from China when it's for prototyping makes sense but for less than £50 worth of saving?

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
How about trouble free, time saving, compliance, product insurance, neatness? Buying from China when it's for prototyping makes sense but for less than £50 worth of saving?
I think what Seneagle meant was total price of a product you pay for despite dodgy Chinese math. I remember I tried to buy something from China and it was like £100 for product, £50 for postage, so total amount to pay... £225 lol

Reactions: Woosh

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I think what Seneagle meant was total price of a product you pay for despite dodgy Chinese math. I remember I tried to buy something from China and it was like £100 for product, £50 for postage, so total amount to pay... £225 lol
I read it like that too

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You've taken my point out of context. We were talking about costs - in particular, shipping costs.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Wondered if the "Double VAT" issue had changed between UK and Ireland?
This website opines "will have to pay 23% Irish vat AND UK vat unless supplier has registered with Irish revenue.
And customs duty on top if goods were Not made in UK.
So I suppose knowing my luck that I'd get caught for the lot? Apologies if I've asked before and forgot!
Edit:
Think I did dig into this before..Will get clobbered!

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Wondered if the "Double VAT" issue had changed between UK and Ireland?
This website opines "will have to pay 23% Irish vat AND UK vat unless supplier has registered with Irish revenue.
And customs duty on top if goods were Not made in UK.
So I suppose knowing my luck that I'd get caught for the lot? Apologies if I've asked before
I started to ship to Ireland for about a year now. The paperwork is electronically done, so it's quite straightforward. You don't pay UK Vat, you'll pay Irish vat plus about 15 euros worth of fees. For northern Ireland, you pay only uk vat so you are treated same as UK addresses. Paperwork is also entirely electronic. I will start selling again to eu countries in the new year.

• Informative
Reactions: MikelBikel

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
A DWG22C or S motor sounds good and torquey
Not many wheels in 20in size with hill climbing ability (at 36v in a Gale).
Syimotor show it with 8/9speed cassette or 6/7speed freewheel
Screenshot_20231117-225820_Chrome.jpg

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
I think mid drives work best with a rear internal geared hub such as Alfine or Rohloff , that way you can have a constantly good chainline.
Doing this takes away one of the advantages of a mid drive, this is the ability to swap wheels easily.
I would go for a torque sensor rear hub. buy from Woosh or get a Q100H from BMS battery. The kit from BMS battery does not come with a laced wheel only the hub and it is over 250watts.