Cycling under the rain

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Hello there,

I realised that in London it's almost raining every 2 days. And I'm so annoyed when I have to cycle under the rain :(.

I decided to get an umbrella for my bike:).

Here's what I just ordered from eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Solid-Umbrella-Bracket-Plank-for-Cycling-Bike-Bicycle-Motorcycle-Motor-/160762126864?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256e2b6210

I'm not yet completely sure about the umbrella, but I think I'm going to use this super windproof one:

Senz XL BLACK Umbrella: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

What do you think guys, has any of you tried it?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The wind is a bigger problem that the rain, and a gust of wind against an umbrella attached to one side of the handlebars as in that first photo will throw the bike off line into an accident. Ours is a quite windy country and the rain and wind often come together.

A cycling cape and waterproof hat is a far better solution.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I'm completely aware of that last point.

That's why I purchased a re-enforced umbrella holder and I'm planning to get this expensive (£50) windproof umbrella. It's suppose to be able to manage wind up to 70 mph. I don't think I'll have that much wind even if I go superfast

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
But when you're moving the relative path of the rain is horizontal, you'll still get soaked, have the added risk that Flecc has highlighted and you will look like a complete tit!

Reactions: pea

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
1st, save your £50. 2nd, I'm never sure if these are wind ups or not but let's assume not. as Flecc pointed out, the wind will catch the umbrella and blow you and the bike all over the place. Buying a stronger umbrella will just mean a stronger wind can then blow you all over the place. Buy a set of waterproofs or a bus ticket.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I still think that when the wind comes up you will be in for a nasty shock cwah, especially at junctions where sudden cross winds can catch you out. You might also get a challenge from the police, bicycles have construction and use regulations too.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
PLEASE dont do this Cwah......there is absolutely no doubt that this idea is NOT going to work as you hope, for all the reasons previously given, better to get wet than get dead.

Lynda :)

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I still think that when the wind comes up you will be in for a nasty shock cwah, especially at junctions where sudden cross winds can catch you out. You might also get a challenge from the police, bicycles have construction and use regulations too.
Why would the police catch me for having an umbrella?

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Because there is undoubtedly some sort of law against unsafe cycling.
Also, the Police have a duty of care and have taken an oath to protect life and property.
For instance, there is no law against attempting suicide, but if you try to jump off a building etc. the Police will grab you, even if they cannot arrest you they will wheel you into a Mental Hospital.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
If they deem the bike unsafe to ride they can issue you a prohibition notice - just like they could if you rode at night without lights or without brakes etc.

Don't do it - one moderate gust of wind from the left and you'll be pushed from the kerb into the middle of the road or under a bus.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Guys,

I think you have too much "a priori' about umbrella.

Check this video test of the Senz umbrella:
[video=youtube;hFzOwq5PldQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFzOwq5PldQ&feature=relmfu[/video]

Tested at 130 kph and on a motorbike!!

Whaaat else?

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
Cwah....it's not attached to a bicycle handlebar that's what else; are you deliberately ignoring the point raised or do you really not get it? I'm confused.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I understand a aknowledge your point, but people do use umbrella when they are cycling. It just hasn't happened yet in UK.

In china you can find lot of picture with bike and umbrella:

And sold here in the US for 79$ shipped to UK:

[video=youtube;qwul8HMpCP8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qwul8HMpCP8[/video]
Uberhood | Protection for your Bicycle

It does seem to work, isn't it?

Last edited:

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
If I recall correctly, whenever The Prisoner was on the village bicycle, he'd use his umbrella. :)

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
I understand a aknowledge your point, but people do use umbrella when they are cycling. It just hasn't happened yet in UK.

In china you can find lot of picture with bike and umbrella:

And sold here in the US for 79$ shipped to UK:

[video=youtube;qwul8HMpCP8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qwul8HMpCP8[/video]
Uberhood | Protection for your Bicycle

It does seem to work, isn't it?

They are going about 5mph in nice sunny calm weather!

You are proposing to use this as a weather protection solution in high UK winds and rain on a 20-30 mph Brompton conversion on lethal potholed London roads. I would have thought that the last thing you would want with your bike is more danger and increased police attention?

I think you need detaining under S136 of the Mental Health Act right now.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
If I recall correctly, whenever The Prisoner was on the village bicycle, he'd use his umbrella. :)
And how did SHE feel about this?
I find a light weight waterproof nylon all-in-one suit is the answer. Especially if worn with waterproof overshoes. I try to avoid the bike cape since, on a windy day it completely blew over my head, and I couldn`t see a thing.

Last edited:

LesleyA

Pedelecer
Jul 11, 2012
I don't think it matters what the wind rating of the umbrella itself recommends. It is down to the person or the bike it is attached to. Even if an umbrella stated it would cope with 70mph winds that is the construction rating of the unit itself - attach it to a bike and it will still cause you turbulence and possibly drag you off course randomly. Think about it - you are potentially adding a sail to your bike! I have seen people on foot fighting with wind blown umbrellas and atleast if it gets too much they can let it go before it pulls them over!

TBH, the stronger the umbrella the more dangerous I think it will be, as lesser rated umbrellas would fail in gusts strong enough to blow you around, hence lessen the chance of throwing you under an oncoming truck!

The photos you have posted above to illustrate your theory carry little weight as all 3 shots look like a parasol type sunshade rather than a rain proof umbrella capable of dealing with the UK's unpredictable climate. These photos are also taken on bright calm sunny days - would love to see how it and the rider would cope in 50mph gusts and stair-rod downpours like we regularly get over here!

Good set of waterproofs and a change of clothing for when you arrive at your destination is a much better investment. When you are riding in the rain, you tend to get more wet from spray off the road and passing vehicles anyway - how's the umbrella going to help with that?

Last edited:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Are you for real cwah ? .......or just a figment of Russ' warped imagination ?? :D

Lynda :)

Goryl

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2012
Did you ever walk in the wind/rain with an umbrella?
If not, buy a cheap umbrella and try. you will probably understand why everybody say don't!

Goryl

grasshopper

Pedelecer
May 23, 2012
For goodness sake ... let the silly bug*er get on with it! If cwah doesn't post again ... we will know that the advice was correct and he came to a sticky end! If he does post again, presumably he will tell us all it worked fine and we will all have learned something. Anyway, what happened to 'choice'? ... the subject of a recent thread about compulsory use of helmets, I recall :p