Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Reactions: superDove

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
The problem I find with virtually all waterproof shoes and overshoes, is that they are not high enough at the top. If worn with waterproof overtrousers, the trousers need to overlap the shoes to ensure a waterproof joint. The best I had were some motorcycle overboots called "Totes". They were like very thin wellingtons. Sadly, they were slightly to small, and hard to get on, so they soon split.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I find that the old fashioned cycle capes have pros and cons. They are good around town, but out of town they cause a lot of drag in a headwind. Less of a problem with an e bike than a pedal bike. As previously noted, they can actually blow over your head, temporarily blinding you. The finger/hand loops help prevent this, but on cheap capes these soon fall off. A side wind can blow them about so leg protection is lost. I have thought of stitching a light chain into the lower side hems to help prevent that. They are a useful thing to carry in case you get caught out. If I am actually setting out into rain, I prefer to use an all in one waterproof suit,

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Just my 2penn'orth...

I've used Karrimor weathertite lightweight walking boots , on & off bike, for several years: They usually cost about £30 in Sports direct & would give me 12 months of dry feet before leaking - But...
The last 2 pairs have leaked within weeks of buying, so I've upgraded to Karrimor ksb (Nevis I think) which are £50 (1/2 rrp) & e-vent lined: This is regarded as equal in performance to Goretex, so should give 2 to 3 years' protection if my experience is typical.

They come up to the ankle, with a bellows tongue & so far have kept out everything thrown at them.

One point to note is that they have Vibram heavily cleated soles, so I've chucked out my rat-traps (old fashioned, I know) as I couldn't get my tootsies down quick enough & went base-over-apex when stopping at traffic lights.

Regarding capes - I keep one in the pannizr, so I can get it on quick when there's a sudden dowser, but get it hitched-up on my backpack; so I superglued the weight from one of those vzrtical blinds in the bottom back, so I can fling it over the rucsack easier. A couple of feet of knicker elastic in a loop (slipped over the saddle horn) stops the back flying up in a tailwind.

Reactions: neptune