DPC-14 display password lockout

cosmo

Just Joined
Jul 5, 2019
I have managed to somehow change my password to something I cannot remember. I am asked for the password before I can get started. Is there a way t o reset the display, or is a new display required?

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
I hope it would not be easy in case mine is ever stolen

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The BBSXXX series can operate headless/without display:

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/running-bbs01-without-display.31146/

My girlfriend forgot the 4 digit code for a rotary combination lock with 4 dials, and for some reason was completely and utterly certain I was capable of fixing the problem. I reasoned she may have got one or two digits wrong while setting the code, so I narrowed down the combinations to try on that assumption. For "1" for example, I also tried 2 and 3, also 0 and 9. Cracked it in less than an hour.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh

cosmo

Just Joined
Jul 5, 2019
The BBSXXX series can operate headless/without display:

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/running-bbs01-without-display.31146/

My girlfriend forgot the 4 digit code for a rotary combination lock with 4 dials, and for some reason was completely and utterly certain I was capable of fixing the problem. I reasoned she may have got one or two digits wrong while setting the code, so I narrowed down the combinations to try on that assumption. For "1" for example, I also tried 2 and 3, also 9 and 8. Cracked it in less than an hour.
My password got completely scrambled, so no dice there. Interestingly the throttle still operates, so not a completely secure lock.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The passcode is only stored within the display.

Interestingly the throttle still operates, so not a completely secure lock.
Yes, that's a terrible feature which makes things convenient for thieves if your bike has a throttle and you leave it locked with the battery attached, or in the unliklely event thieves bring their own. Headless with the throttle cable removed completely, battery removed... I wonder if thieves would spend ages removing the motor, while the bike is left double D-locked outside Asda?

Last edited: