E-bike Of The Year

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Agreed Frank, now about 2009, will your Tongxin motor Marin feature;)

J:) hn
Afraid that was a 2007 bike so, depending of course on the rules, wouldn't be eligibile!

Nevertheless you are kind to mention it. I felt it was ahead of things when I put it together just over a year ago, essentially giving the same performance as the 'fast' wheel which the Cytronex guys now seem to be selling under the counter, and weighing a full 5kg less than my Wisper, itself one of the lightest production e-bikes. However, thanks to JohnP, Tongxin motors are now widely available and others, such as BogMonster, have put them on lightweight steel bikes with good results.

The one area where I think there is still scope for progress is in the throttle, where I believe the Hall effect twist throttles neither perform well nor are very ergonomic. My 2008 Mark II version uses a thumb throttle with spring removed and an additional cut-out switch to enable a better trade off between accuracy of speed control, rate of battery drain and level of wrist pain. Other than Cytronex with its button arrangement, there has not been much innovation here, yet....