Kalkhoff Tasman

Does exactly what it is supposed to :D

No experience of any other bike, though

Iain

murphy61

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 19, 2008
north coast of ireland
For me it was always going to be a pedelec, as opposed to a hub motor type, on the grounds of getting fit as you have to pedal all the time. Also, I liked the idea of the motor being geared and driving through the chain, from a mechanical perspective. So it had to be the Kalhoff Agattu. Only found one drawback so far - the motor interferes with the radio on my phone! I think I can put up with that...

C

Cyclezee

THE POLLS ARE NOW CLOSED The Results Are.....

THE PEDELEC FORUM E-BIKE OF 2008 RESULTS

The winner for 2008 is the Kalkhoff Agattu with 13 votes
  • In second place the Cytronex Trek with 6 votes
  • Third comes the Kalkhoff Pro Connect with 3 votes
The following bikes received 1 vote each, Wisper 905se, Ezee Torq Trekking, Galileo MTB, Voyager, Optibike, Kalkhoff Tasman, Ezee Forza.
What does this tell us? The first thing you can't fail to notice is that over 3,500 people read the thread, 1,841 members were eligable to vote only 29 did so, that equals a 1.6% turn out :(

The other unmistakable fact is that Kalkhoff took 62% of the vote. Also worthy of note is Cytronex with basically one model, but taking 21% of the vote after less than one year in business.

Thank you to all those who contributed and let us see if we can have bigger turn out for the 2009 vote.

J:) hn

Last edited by a moderator:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks John. Probably no surprise to any of us that a German and an English manufacturer took 80% of the vote between them.

Although a tiny sample, that overwhelming bias is something that Chinese e-bike manufacturers should take seriously, since it's in no small part based on build quality and reliability.

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
Although a tiny sample, that overwhelming bias is something that Chinese e-bike manufacturers should take seriously, since it's in no small part based on build quality and reliability.
I take the point, but I've yet see any posting on failing Wisper batteries, or on significant build quality issues with the Synergie Mistral, Wisper models, or the current Ezee models. I think there is rather more to the voting result than a simple reflection of quality and ability! Some of these 'other' bikes may be boringly conventional (which may be the reason they are ignored in this vote), but some represent very good work-a-day rides which are cheaper and better value for many than the 'elected' models.
That said, it was just a 'straw poll' and a bit of fun (?). I take the result with a bucket full of salt (handy for the ice...)

Happy New Year,

Phil.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I take the point, but I've yet see any posting on failing Wisper batteries, or on significant build quality issues with the Synergie Mistral, Wisper models, or the current Ezee models.
I agree Phil, but many have had previous bikes and others have read about the various problems with those, and it's that which influences their thinking. Look through the postings in this and similar threads and the theme of reliability crops up frequently.

You might be surprised at how different this forum was in 2007 and before, hardly any European products on the market and the issue of unreliability dominating much of the time. For example the Synergie bikes that are so highly praised these days were condemned as junk at one time by members who considered themselves unlucky to have bought one. The present Wisper since David Miall took it over is a quite new company of course with little history, but they did have battery problems, some posted in here, and changed their battery suppliers three times for that reason.

Last edited:

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
Ah... As a relatively recent forum member, I may have missed some of the history, which would of course explain some of these observations.
The poll, however, was for a 2008 bike of the year, so if these problems have been ironed out then perhaps they shouldn't be allowed to influence current opinion too much?
Of course a bad first impression is always hard to shake off!

Cheers, Phil

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Of course a bad first impression is always hard to shake off!
That's it Phil, the memories last. This poll in 2006 would have had eZee with their predominantly NiMh batteries at the time the clear winner by far, but here we are this time with just one vote for the brand, despite many members having had one or still owning one or more eZee models.

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Hi

Woohoo its the first time in my life i have owned something that is the best, I must say the Agattu is a magnificent invention and glad i chose the right machine eventually.

Oh yeah pink floyd are a really rubbish band so no wonder he is a loser.

Off on me bike now.

Happy new year

thx

Bob

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Oh yeah pink floyd are a really rubbish band so no wonder he is a loser.
He's no loser, his eZee Forza is a tough well performing bike which it needs to be on the northern coastal tip of Scotland where he rides. That's where in the UK that the adverse weather and cold temperatures are really rough.

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
Why I did not vote.

. . . What does this tell us? The first thing you can't fail to notice is that over 3,500 people read the thread, 1,841 members were eligable to vote only 29 did so, that equals a 1.6% turn out :(
J:)hn, I was one of the 3,500 who read the thread - several times, (but did not vote), following how it all developed, with interest, after each and every vote was posted. Although I am aware of all the bikes that received votes - I only have experience of riding one - and that has been in production for some time prior to 2008, so did not feel my vote would be worthy as I'd be voting on other's views of their bikes - and not my own first-hand experience; I think that may partly explain why so many viewed, but few voted - lack of direct riding experience of the 2008 models. Yet an annual e-bike-of-the-year award is a must for this forum IAMO as I do not think the 1.6% vote turnout is down to apathy alone.

Having said that, I do intend getting myself a test ride on the Cytronex in 2009, as the more I read of it - the more I like it. The crippling foot ailment I suffered midway through 2008 has dissappeared as mysteriously as it arrived, (which was my sole reason for purchasing an e-bike that would 'help' me. However, I shall always have an electric bike in the stable - hooked like a junky I guess). So now I'm back on my 'normal' bikes, the Cytronex starts to make more sense. Also, on the Cytronex site they also sell an additional 'fast' front wheel where the motor is geared up for fast travel, (higher RPM), at the expense of climbing ability, (£195 at 2008 old prices). What other manufacturer offers a sporting upgrade over and above the basic model like that? Cool or what? The others can only play about with sprockets and gears to 'upgrade' custom performance. Be interesting to see what price the full Cytronex retro-fit kit finally comes out at.

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

J:)hn, I was one of the 3,500 who read the thread - several times, (but did not vote), following how it all developed, with interest, after each and every vote was posted. Although I am aware of all the bikes that received votes - I only have experience of riding one - and that has been in production for some time prior to 2008, so did not feel my vote would be worthy as I'd be voting on other's views of their bikes - and not my own first-hand experience; I think that may partly explain why so many viewed, but few voted - lack of direct riding experience of the 2008 models. Yet an annual e-bike-of-the-year award is a must for this forum IAMO as I do not think the 1.6% vote turnout is down to apathy alone.
Danny,

I appreciate that the figure of over 3,500 represents ‘hits’ rather than individual potential voters.
If we are to have this vote on an annual basis, I think it should start at the beginning of December and end on the 1st of January. It should include all two wheeled electrically propelled/assisted vehicles with pedals from all years. This would open up voting to include some classic models no longer in production, the outcome might be interesting.
I understand that people naturally vote for a bike they own, have ridden or tested, otherwise they are just relying on the opinion of others. No one has ridden every e-bike, not even AtoB.
It is interesting to note that AtoB place the Kalkhoff and Cytronex in the same position as the Forum voters A Buyers' Guide. I wonder how the Wisper range will fare when AtoB test them in 2009?

It would have been very surprising if Kalkhoff had not been in 1st place as they are biggest selling range in the UK, and along with Cytronex, produce bikes to suit all shapes and sizes rather than the one size fits all Chinese manufactured bikes.

Finally, I wonder if we would have had more votes for the ‘Worst E-Bike Of The Year’. Human nature seems to find it easier to fault and be negative about a product than be positive.

C

Cyclezee

Danny - fyi the winner was actually launched in 2007.
[shouts of 'stewards enquiry' in the background...!]
Frank,

In defence of my thinking, the Agattu wave frame was launched in November 2007, but is regarded as being launched for the 2008 model year:confused: To further support this, the diamond frame Agattu was not launched until early 2008, some 2009 Kalkhoffs models were on sale before the end of 2008.

I did not exclude other makes launched in 2007, e.g. Wisper 905se, Ezee Torq Trekking etc., people just didn't vote for them.

MY THREAD, MY RULES;)

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Very good, John!

we have to remember it's just a bit of fun! I think in practice people are likely to vote for whatever bike has been the best bike of their 2008 - in many ways irrelevant to them if it was launched a week or two years before they bought it - and who is to say that is wrong?

Frank

C

Cyclezee

Agreed Frank, now about 2009, will your Tongxin motor Marin feature;)

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
the bike of 2008 FOR ME !!!!!!!

Very good, John!

I think in practice people are likely to vote for whatever bike has been the best bike of their 2008 -
Frank
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

spot on Frank, if i had been up to date with the forum at the time and known the vote was simply done by posting i would have voted for my Quando (loads of power and 15.5mph in any wind and most gradients) i bought in 2008.(no longer have as someone with a family need caught me off balance when i was seriously thinking of going for an agattu and thought selling it would force me to make the jump....it never:rolleyes: )...the reason i would have voted Quando is simply that for me personaly it WAS the bike of 2008 as for 6 months i used it almost daily for nipping here and there to deliver things locally to me while doing my job as well as visiting my mother, post office,shops and i also did a journey on the train a week there and back and there was no problem getting it on...not having a car meant none of this was possible as the time saved by my Quando meant for me it was definatly THE BIKE OF 2008.....horses for courses...

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough

• In second place the Cytronex Trek with 6 votes
  • Third comes the Kalkhoff Pro Connect with 3 votes
The following bikes received 1 vote each, Wisper 905se, Ezee Torq Trekking, Galileo MTB, Voyager, Optibike, Kalkhoff Tasman, Ezee Forza.

What does this tell us? The first thing you can't fail to notice is that over 3,500 people read the thread, 1,841 members were eligable to vote only 29 did so, that equals a 1.6% turn out :(
I didn't even know there was a poll, I didn't read much at the start of the thread as I was busy and it would be a load of people saying 'my bike is great'. I had another look at the end when I had more time, rather than people's apathy maybe the voting was at fault.