Ebay seller ' Electric Bike Conversions ' seem to be doing well :)

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Can I ask why KTM bike industries are posting in the 'Electric Bike Conversion Kits' section of the forum?

Have you guys started selling a conversion kit?
you should have gone with "no", it works better I think (you may well have inadvertently caused the forum to have another twenty page repetitive thread as a result of not doing so) anyway, I'm with Douglas Bader http://genius.com/4134756
on this and get where you're coming form

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
For those who have plunged into this thread at the deep end and wonder what the original topic was all about ;)

Many months ago, a seller of electric bike conversion kits, conveniently named ' Electric Bike Conversions ', was mentioned on this forum:

Electric Bike Conversions

They were fairly new to the game, so didn't have much to go on concerning the quality of their kits or customer service.

Fast forward to now, and after looking at their feedback within the last few months, appear to be one to put on the short list for high quality kits at a good price.

They've got a few fully built bikes on there too, if kits aren't your cup of tea ;)

melvyn

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 2, 2015
Would the 500W motor affect the range of the bike, i.e. would it potentially have a shorter range on the supplied battery than the 250W motor, or is it just a matter of potential reserve power in the bigger motor?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Would the 500W motor affect the range of the bike, i.e. would it potentially have a shorter range on the supplied battery than the 250W motor, or is it just a matter of potential reserve power in the bigger motor?
Forget about whether it is a 250w or 500w motor. You need to find out what the controller is rated at.

A 15 amp controller will still draw the same power from a battery, whether it is hooked up to a 250 watt motor or a 500 watt motor. So the range will be the same.

The difference is, that you usually find the higher wattage motors are mated to a higher current rated controller.

Last edited:

melvyn

May 2, 2015
Forget about whether it is a 250w or 500w motor. You need to find out what the controller is rated at.

A 15 amp controller will still draw the same power from a battery, whether it is hooked up to a 250 watt motor or a 500 watt motor. So the range will be the same.

The difference is, that you usually find the higher wattage motors are mated to a higher current rated controller.
I had to make a decision, eBay had a 20% discount voucher tonight which terminated at 22.00, so I went for the 500W Kit. I'll report back on it's performance here.

Reactions: Fordulike

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I had to make a decision, eBay had a 20% discount voucher tonight which terminated at 22.00, so I went for the 500W Kit. I'll report back on it's performance here.
I doubt you'll be disappointed with your choice.

You can't argue with a 20% discount.. Enjoy your new kit when it arrives ;)

melvyn

May 2, 2015
I doubt you'll be disappointed with your choice.

You can't argue with a 20% discount.. Enjoy your new kit when it arrives ;)
There were conditions -> 20% off any purchases over £20 up to a maximum of £50, so I got £50 off the £395 Kit, better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.:)

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
There were conditions -> 20% off any purchases over £20 up to a maximum of £50, so I got £50 off the £395 Kit, better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.:)
Lol, that's true.

If you need any advice on fitting the kit, don't be afraid to ask.

There's members on this forum that eat, sleep and breathe electric bike kits :p

melvyn

May 2, 2015
Thanks for the help. I'm fitting the kit to a bike i know I can pedal up most hills around here, it has a 22inch bottom gear, the advantage is I know I can handle a 30lb load easily on it and that I can get home if the motorised system fails. Most of the ready made bikes I researched have too high a gearing to be useful.

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
al least its hydraulic brakes,I bought one of their kits but not the bike,fast delivery I say that

djbarnat

Oct 14, 2015
Last edited:

wolfmandave15

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2015
Hi new member here,
I bought a fully assembled 500 watt bike from them in July, very fast despatch arrived within 36hrs of order being placed.
Very minimal assembly and I was on my first test ride within the hour, derestricted this bike took my 15 stone to 24 mph quite impressive but I don't often go much above 18/19 mph I only did this so it doesn't cut in and out at 15 mph all in all a great buy.
Very impressed with the motor it is silent compared to the big bear which I also own but that's to be expected due to this having a D D motor and the big bear a geared motor.
I have had no issues with this bike whatsoever and I would have no problem buying from them again.
The bike rides a little better than the big bear maybe due to this being rear hub and the bottle battery which I think gives the bike a better centre of gravity. I took it to my local bike mechanic to check everything over and he thought it was well set up.
Anyway I ride both bikes an equal amount and they both give me a great deal of enjoyment.
Happy pedelecing
Dave

Reactions: Fordulike

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I bought a fully assembled 500 watt bike from them in July, very fast despatch arrived within 36hrs of order being placed.
Very minimal assembly and I was on my first test ride within the hour, derestricted this bike took my 15 stone to 24 mph quite impressive but I don't often go much above 18/19 mph I only did this so it doesn't cut in and out at 15 mph all in all a great buy.
Very impressed with the motor it is silent compared to the big bear which I also own but that's to be expected due to this having a D D motor and the big bear a geared motor.
I have had no issues with this bike whatsoever and I would have no problem buying from them again.
Hi Dave, good to hear that you are enjoying the bike.

Just out of interest, if the bike has hydraulic brake cut-offs, can you see how the cut-off function is activated.

wolfmandave15

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2015
No to be honest I can't see how its activated but have not had any issues brake wise.
Not a very techy answer but compared to the big bear both seem to behave the same.
Dave

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
Be cautious fellow pedelecs this Ebay seller is one of the worst merchants I have dealt with,totally ignores emails both on Ebay and website.No product
support at all,I have a few queries and regarding kit and asking for spare parts support and have no replies for a nearly a week I just hope I will have no issues with the other components and warranty issues.

Ruadh495

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
Be cautious fellow pedelecs this Ebay seller is one of the worst merchants I have dealt with,totally ignores emails both on Ebay and website.No product
support at all,I have a few queries and regarding kit and asking for spare parts support and have no replies for a nearly a week I just hope I will have no issues with the other components and warranty issues.
That's odd. Alan responded to an email from me on Tuesday, but I'm not having issues with the conversion (just the rest of the bike...).

Yes, I did go with this supplier in the end, can't argue with the price though I missed out on the 20% off. It's nice that he includes a crank puller (which I couldn't have done without) and a spoke key and delivers when he says he will. I did enquire with another supplier, but they wanted to charge extra for a rack battery and extra for a pedelec sensor...

Mine is a 250W front wheel motor with a rack battery. The motor and battery units seem very well constructed, though some of the ancillary components are a bit on the cheap side (speedo magnet...). I got the kit last Friday and assembled it over the weekend. It would be very easy to fit in standard format but I made some problems for myself, starting with a bike with drum brakes, mounting the battery over the front wheel and wanting the pedelec sensor on the left. Still got it working in just over a day.

On my minimal experience the kit works really well. With the max speed set to 24KPH power cuts out smoothly at 14.7MPH. It certainly seems a lot smoother and more powerful than the expensive fully built pedelec I test rode about 4 years ago. Range seems slightly less than advertised, in 12.5 miles I got down to one bar of battery, but I did use the throttle for boost up some major hills and the rear wheel was binding as well.

It's now in the shed waiting for the rear wheel issue to be fixed. The rear drum brake started grabbing so badly that it bent the chainstay. Nothing to do with the conversion, that's all at the front. I'll be able to report more once it's going again.

Reactions: wolfmandave15

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
He is obviously selective of whom he wants to respond, I have bought a 250w front hub of months ago and emailed numerous times lately but had no response from him.We did change emails just after buying my kit,as battery sent is not labelled and no way is confirming if it is a 13 amp as adevertised,
but he response was not very reassuring,slightly defensive in nature,I just let it go as I already fitted the kit,now wanting some support but querries are totally ignored.

CerIs

Oct 18, 2015
in 12.5 miles I got down to one bar of battery
Seems bit low, what size is the battery?

Conflicting reports worrying, responded fast to my sales inquiry though. Still thinking about their main 500w bike but £730 is a lot to send to an "unknown" company