eMTB owners photo and ride thread.

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Ah yes wear as well. Didn't think of that.

Mind you my longest road trip has been a mile or so . But at the weekend I'm planning on visiting a mate it's only 7 miles but a pain to get to via 3 buses or bus train bus . We like to have a few beers so can't drive. I've worked out I can take a long time but do about half off road. I tell you what with my new local knowledge of out of the way urban footpaths parks alleyways etc the old bill would need a helicopter to catch me ....

• :D
Reactions: EddiePJ and IR772

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Just completed 101 miles on bike over last 4 nights, all country roads. Been using schwalbe marathons mtb plus, brilliant mtb road tyre for rolling and more importantly puncture resistance on road only. Not great off road of course. These seriously are great for puncture resistance. Anyway, putting my feet up for the weekend and changing back to smart sam mtb plus, still decent for puncture resistance and rolling, but much better off road on trails, not full off off road though. I send a fair bit of time on road getting to local forests etc.
Oh, garmin reads 20.2 mph avg over 101mph, using mainly eco mode, so reasonably happy.

Reactions: Tugwell Gibson

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Mine is a Rockshox reverb which is routed through the top frame only. (I'll attach pictures later). This was just down to cost, in all honesty, as it was much cheaper than the stealth.
ok :) I have to decide on that on mine too, must drill a hole myself if I want internal, don't know if I want that. Maybe I do like you, find a cheap one for external routing, sounds like a good plan :)

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Totally ass-kicking commuting today :) we got snow again! I decided to try a "new" route combining the north AND the south mountains, it went really well, of course, it's not fun all the way. Between the mountains was a little difficult but mostly it was just to ride and good flow. Not icey either so it was just to press hard with the summer tires :) hope the snow will stay a while this time.

IMG_5917.JPG IMG_5922.JPG IMG_5939.JPG

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Oh, garmin reads 20.2 mph avg over 101mph, using mainly eco mode, so reasonably happy.
That is a very high average speed

The Marathon plus MTB are surprising mud pluggers I have posted the pictures here to show their ability.

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
I feel excluded from this thread, so here's me polluting it with my non-MTB, not on a mountain :p:

The beady eyed might be able to see the Royal Greenwich Observatory (Herstmonceux) in the background.

Gaz

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
There are some really nice back lanes to be found from the edge of Hailsham, leading to Pevensey marshes and beyond. I sometimes ride the pedal mtb off road from Crowborough to Hailsham/Polegate to see my sister, then go out for a further ride from there. Being relatively flat, it enables me to put in a 50-60 mile ride without my knees overly complaining.

Just out of interest, where did you buy the Whyte? It isn't a brand that I have seen for sale around my neck of the woods.

• Agree
Reactions: Gaz

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Just out of interest, where did you buy the Whyte?
Bought it from Tisme (Pete) on here, but they're sold by ATB over in St Leonards-on-Sea:
http://www.atb-sales.co.uk

The lanes across the marshes are lovely at this time of year. Very sanctuarial escape from the rat race. Between Rickney and Herstmonceux I didn't see another living soul :cool:
Gaz

Reactions: EddiePJ

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
I feel excluded from this thread, so here's me polluting it with my non-MTB, not on a mountain :p:

The beady eyed might be able to see the Royal Greenwich Observatory (Herstmonceux) in the background.

Gaz

I you want to post on this forum you will have to put some mud on your frame or a tuft of grass in your mudguard.

I know it will hurt and you will have to wash it off the second after you have taken the photo, but there it is that's the rule.

Stop using the bike stand as that's a no no get a bit of branch and use instead.

Or at least try parking the bike on the grass then take the photo, that's what the rest of us do.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
DSC_0118.JPG
On my way out for some urban Mtb. Back now. Scared a van driver when he cut a corner on me. I was emerging right at a T junction.
He gave me that your a pleb stare. He got one back and looked uncomfortable. I don't know how the roadies do it.

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: LeighPing

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Car nearly took me out last night, despite right arm being extended well in advance of turn, and i had a exposure saddle light, helmet light and backpack light on. He then had the nerve to stick finger up after i shouted (screamed) at him. Driver was middle aged mercedes driver c63!
I'm seriously thinking of buying one of these lumos indicator helmets for more safety.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tugwell Gibson

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Car nearly took me out last night, despite right arm being extended well in advance of turn, and i had a exposure saddle light, helmet light and backpack light on. He then had the nerve to stick finger up after i shouted (screamed) at him. Driver was middle aged mercedes driver c63!
I'm seriously thinking of buying one of these lumps indicator helmets for more safety.
You need that Indian girls air tank on the back of your bike then you could fit a full trailer board on to it for lighting.

The bike would be a dog but you would be safe

Reactions: Steve A

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I'm seriously thinking of buying one of these lumos indicator helmets for more safety.
One point of note with this. You are using a dongle, your average ride speed is 20mph over a 27mile ride, and it was highly likely that the motorist wasn't anticipating a cyclist to be traveling at a speed that would have perhaps been faster than expected.
Even on my bike which is 'legal' motorists have been caught out by my speed and got it wrong, the most often case being when approaching parked cars.

For sympathy you might want this thread. :) http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/how-many-people-are-using-there-e-bike-off-road.15780/page-110

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
I hear what you saying Eddie and good points too. I'm always aware of traffic on the country lanes where i sometimes cycle. It's just one of those instances where i did everything right, and in that instance i was in the middle of the lane some 100 yards before turn, speed about 10mph and he was just wanting to get past me no matter what!.
As you know there are bad cyclists and drivers.

Finally, and reference speed. I can't keep up with many of the roadies around here, 20mph is nothing for them. I was in a road cycling club in Kent for years i should know.

Related Articles

Advertisers