eMTB owners photo and ride thread.

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
I test rode the orange as well and don't like much of it but I do like the steps system. It may just have to be a Bulls bike for me next time.
Some of you get some lovely places to ride in. I need to travel more...

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
It would be nice for a weekend away from what I can see.
Always nice to have a cafe, although it would take some beating Coed Llandegla cafe...;)
Hope you had a good day.
I just played about a bit on our local hillock and then went pumped up the tyres and went out for a 20 miler.

Reactions: argoose

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
Plenty of trails and off piste tracks. Never gets too busy since Bike Park Wales opened. But still popular enough to keep it a viable destination.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
In my pics or in general Eddie?

I understand that the reason why many serious ebike riders use two fingers on the lever when braking is to keep more control on the handlebars, especially on a fast decent. Some use just one finger, but Jeremy thinks that's unnecessary, it does not give enough braking power and is more easy to lose your brakes completely.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
In both sets of your photos.

I understand that the reason why many serious ebike riders use two fingers on the lever when braking is to keep more control on the handlebars.
Then your understanding is incorrect, as is the opinion of Jeremy.

You will actually find that "serious" mtb/eMTB riders, as you have put it, actually only use one finger braking. I'd imagine that no one other than Jeremy is using two finger braking.

As for control, two finger braking offers considerably less control than one finger braking, and a correct and proper brake set up, certainly doesn't require two fingered braking. If two fingered braking is required to control the speed or bike, then clearly there is an issue that needs resolving, be that with rider technique, bike set up, component spec, or all three.

Just one example, found within seconds of looking. The internet is rammed with reasons for one finger braking, but certainly not two finger braking. In fact I couldn't find a single UCI racing or down hill clip where two finger braking is shown. Edit.. looking again, I can't actually find any clip that shows two finger braking at any level or discipline of riding.

To end, if Jeremy thinks that one finger braking is "unnecessary" and that two finger braking is better, then perhaps you should be looking elsewhere for advice.

Why would you want less leverage and power.
Less modulation and feel.
Less control of the handlebar, with the associated risk that this brings.
Risk of trapping fingers, and so restricting brake lever movement.
More arm pump.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: argoose

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Eddie,

Thanks for your response.

I've just had a quick chat with Jeremy, he says it's his style, what he is used to, he hasn't ridden professionally in anger for a good few years! He simply feels more comfortable using two finger braking.

He does agree with you however that there is absolutely no reason not to ride using one finger to brake and it makes sense that it would give more not less control. The balance and braking of all four new Wisper eMTBs under one finger is perfect, he personally finds it a little awkward.

All the best, David

Related Articles

Advertisers