eMTB owners photo and ride thread.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
For various reasons, the eMTB has been very much side lined of late, especially as I'm having more fun these days riding the regular mtb instead. Feeling lazy though, I opted to take the eMTB out for tonight's night ride.

It was certainly a very technical ride, with two falls for each. All good stuff.

Reactions: georgehenry

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
poor bike lol why you not video ur rides 2 crashes will be 2 million views on you tube ;)

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Nah, they were too slow to be of any interest to anyone. :)

My mate fell on sheet ice twice, I fell once on sheet ice, then the second time was when a gate post leapt out at me from a hedge. I have become so used to the narrow cross country bars on my pedal mtb, that I was caught out and clipped a hedge, that happened to be hiding a gate post.

• :D
Reactions: soundwave

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
A few pictures from my ride to work yesterday. The temperature gauge on my display started at a balmy 5 degrees and gradually sank to 3 before strangely rising back to 4.
Haibike to work frozen lake dec 17 002.JPG Mitchen Hall Plantation above
Haibike to work frozen lake dec 17 003.JPG Track emerging next to Rodshall Manor

Haibike to work frozen lake dec 17 004.JPG
View towards Rodshall Manor from track exit
Haibike to work frozen lake dec 17 005.JPG
Partly frozen Cuttmill Pond above and below
Haibike to work frozen lake dec 17 006.JPG

Haibike to work frozen lake dec 17 007.JPG

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Lovely commute to work there, Georgehenry. :) I miss not being able to do my off road commute to work,

Ref the hardtail and the frozen corrugations, the plus size tyres seem to do a brilliant job of easing things, but there was certainly one section that consisted of frozen ripples for want of another work, that did shake my spine up pretty badly.

The last photo showing my friend riding along some ruts, is what we normally use to practice hopping from one rut to another. There are several miles of these ruts, and last night they were just a sheet of ice. It actually made for some hilarious if not precarious riding last night, and it was a sort of cat and mouse game of one or the other of us, sliding to a stop, or loosing traction and not being able to get going again.
I kept cheating and rode along the thin grass strips between. This is another aspect that we use the ruts for, in respect of keeping balance. Normally we would ride them, and the first one to slip off into the main rut, is the looser.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I have noted what you have said about the plus size tyres. The Ebike shop in Farnham have a last years model reduction Haibike sDuro hard seven with plus size tyres, a double chainring, 500wh battery and PW-X motor reduced from £3299 to £2699 tvery that looks good for my commute.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I'm a real convert to plus size bikes, and can't see me ever having anything else now.
I couldn't believe what traction and grip that the gave when out on the Alps this year with a lad that had them fitted, then another friend here in the UK bought a Levo with them, and once again the outsatnding grip and comfort was amazing.

When my own plus size hardtail eMTB arrived, the full suspension eMTB instantly became redundant, and up until selling it a few weeks ago, I had used it once since July. I can't speak highly enough for the size.

Comments have been raised about the lack of traction in wet gloopy conditions, but this certainly hasn't been my experience, and I have yet to feel the need for more grip or control. With 16psi in the rear and 14psi in the front, the tyres also roll superbly on the road, and with no notable noise. Admittedly they feel slightly strange through bends on the road, but as I don't tend to ever ride on the road, this no big issue.

I have also just bought a plus size hardtail pedal mtb, which I am really looking forward to using, and having armchair comfort on. No surprise with the comfort though, at 12psi rear and 11psi front.

I can only suggest trying one to see what you think, but I very much feel that the size is hear to stay, and my one complaint would be the current cost of replacement tyres, and lack choice. Having said that, Ebay often has new 'take off' tyres, and quite a saving could potentially be had when replacement time arrives.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Never thought I'd consider plus size tyres, but maybe i'll just try a much wider tire on my rim. Currently running 2.1's but can go up to 2.8 me thinks on my current rims. May be I'm missing the point and they don't compare with full plus size, but it may give me an idea. The problem being I do a lot of road cycling as it takes about 5 miles minimum to be fully off road and so never thought really wide tyres would work well for me.
I've not ridden in 2 months, the longest I've never ridden. I blame my new sport of Paramotoring, even considering flying to work in spring :).

Attachments

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I see what you mean. :)

This has been my fun for this week!

No idea how an oak framer gets involved with drainage work, but suspect that it is down to my inability to say no, especially when the client is nice, and no one else wants to tackle the job.

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Wouldn't want to break down 15 miles from home...
It happened once. Had to walk half way to get back to civilization where I managed to get it fixed so I could ride last bit home. Luckilly no time schedule that day [emoji3]

Sent from my eBike through Tapatalk

BillyBoy88

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2016
Paphos Cyprus
Could not get out for a few days due to rain and before that dust in the atmosphere not very helpful for the lungs and having to go to work, however on Boxing Day lovely sunny morning decided to go for a long ride from home to Paphos Airport most of it off road via a coastal path, some pictures below.

Taken from the end of the Taxi way of the Airport of two Shackleton aircraft parked on the grass, a mix of old and new technology.
20171226_104931.jpg

A slightly better view.
20171226_104952.jpg
Also a nice view of the sea.
20171226_105545.jpg

I did about 35Km and still showing 60 Km left on the battery indicator, I tend to use Eco mode most of the time, other wise I don't get any exercise out of the ride.
PS it was nice and warm.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
A bit of rare snow in Surrey, mostly melted before my afternoon ride to work. 18 miles cross country to work today before 10 miles home on the road. My total milage just hit 8000 happy commuting miles on reaching home.
sduro to work snow 28th december 17 004.JPG
I descend the hill in the background of this shot which is fast and fun.(Britty Wood)sduro to work snow 28th december 17 005.JPG Nice single track weaving between the trees on Crooksbury Common.

sduro to work snow 28th december 17 009.JPG
Crossing the River Wey at Culverlands. Slippery when wet.

Related Articles

Advertisers