Enthusiastic Forum !

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Sometimes engineering can produce something generally considered a thing of beauty. I cite Concorde as an example. No consideration was given to its aesthetic appeal when it was designed but pure engineering produced something that appealed to the emotions of many, even those from outside the UK and France.

A poll for the Concorde of the ebike world….?

D

Deleted member 4366

Sorry D8veh but I think you're being a tad harsh on Lemmy there. None of us can say for certain whether or not he appreciates the beauty of engineering in bikes. Only Lemmy knows that.

Whether he does or does not is not the issue. What he remarked on was the emotional dimension and, although I am an engineer, I tend to agree with Lemmy on this.

Indalo
I don't mean to be hard on anyone, but I do tend to speak very directly because I'm an engineer, not a politician. So, sorry Lemmy, if it seems hard. However, I think Lemmy was quite clear in his last sentence that he couldn't see how people could be over-enthusiastic about their bikes, but, for most of us, that's how we are, and, so must he be, otherwise why is he on this forum in the first place. Isn't it a club for people who are enthusiastic about their bikes?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I would say very few of the bikes described on here have exciting design qualitys. The one that sticks in my mind and refuses to budge is the Swiss Flyer X series. Others discussed on here are mostly junkyard creations, probabaly as horrilbe to ride as they are to look at..... .

Whats yours, De Vinci or Tracy Emin?

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Junkyard!
How dare you, my creation is simply a crock of shite i'll have you know!

Seriously though most people on her either have a brought through a brand bike. Or a bike with a kit.

None appear to look like something of scrapheap challange!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, and there's a few others who make three dimensional bike art. One type that does annoy me are those examples stuck along woodland trails, where they just disfigure the countryside.

D

Deleted member 4366

I would say very few of the bikes described on here have exciting design qualitys.
What about that super new yellow Tonaro. It looks a lot more exiting than the drab black and silver Flyer. In fact it's nearly as exiting as my beautiful yellow Giant BPM - the most exiting bike in the world!

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Yes, and there's a few others who make three dimensional bike art. One type that does annoy me are those examples stuck along woodland trails, where they just disfigure the countryside.
I really like sculptures along the trails.......especially mosaics.....and anything that relates to the history of the trail.......like on our local "Stop Line " cycleway, which has a bronze child statue with suitcase sat at a model railway station...obviously depicting children sent to the country during WW2......

Lynda :)

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
What about that super new yellow Tonaro. It looks a lot more exiting than the drab black and silver Flyer. In fact it's nearly as exiting as my beautiful yellow Giant BPM - the most exiting bike in the world!
And there was me taking you at your word, and believing for just a minute that you were an engineer with an eye for detail. Words like beautiful and love I save for fellow human beings...No wonder the chuches are empty and shopping centres full on a Sunday....

D

Deleted member 4366

And there was me taking you at your word, and believing for just a minute that you were an engineer with an eye for detail. Words like beautiful and love I save for fellow human beings...No wonder the chuches are empty and shopping centres full on a Sunday....
If you want to differentiate between an engineer and an oily rag, the engineer is the one using words like "beautiful" and "love", when referring to machines.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
If you want to differentiate between an engineer and an oily rag, the engineer is the one using words like "beautiful" and "love", when referring to machines.
EXACTLY........

Lynda :)

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
However, I think Lemmy was quite clear in his last sentence that he couldn't see how people could be over-enthusiastic about their bikes
I said nothing of the sort. You won't find over-enthusiastic anywhere in my post.

I feel very sad for you that you can't appreciate the beauty of the engineering in these bikes, but like everybody else that hasn't "seen the light", you won't be able to understand what you're missing.
How wonderfully patronizing! If you are going to be rude might be an idea to read what I write first. What you seem to do is read what you want me to have said and then reply to that. But even so, I don't see the need to be rude.

My point was pretty simple and most people understood it. I pretty much agree with Flecc about why people get emotional over machinery:
Could it be more an affection for ones own opinion than affection for the product, i.e. I'm right, you're wrong?
I have three bikes, electric, folder and road. All of them are top quality because I am lucky enough to be able to afford them. I appreciate and enjoy all of them. I am enthusiastic about them as any of my posts will show.

I don't feel emotional about them because, first of all I do not need to believe my choices are the 'best', just my choice and I feel no no need to prove my choices right. Discussing one's choices is fun but I often don't because so many people can't accept someone else's point of view as valid. (cf Flecc above)

Secondly if any one of them was stolen, the 'like for like' replacement' would be just as good as the original as far as I am concerned. I don't feel emotional about them as I would a member of my family or a friend or even a pet because they can be replaced.

Simples :)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
if you think a yellow T is a better product then a Flyer X series...you need to get back to college for a few years refresher course

D

Deleted member 4366

if you think a yellow T is a better product then a Flyer X series...you need to get back to college for a few years refresher course
I think at last I agree with you because, although I hate to have to admit it, but I think the beautiful silver Cyclamatic is better than both of them. That's why I bought one.

Back to college then.
Right, here we go:

let a =b
therefore a*a = b*a....................................multiply by a
therefore a*a-b*b= b*a-b*b.........................subtract b*b
therefore (a+b)(a-b) = b(a-b)......................factorise
Therefore a+b = b......................................divide by (a-b)
therefore 2b =b..........................................because a=b
therefore 2=1...................................divide by b
QED

Last edited by a moderator:

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
therefore 2=1[/B]...................................divide by b
QED
Some of us remember that sort of premise from 1st year Maths at secondary school. It breaks down when one realises that numbers can't be divided by zero which is what you have done. The rules of mathematics always apply and can't be ignored.

Indalo

D

Deleted member 4366

Some of us remember that sort of premise from 1st year Maths at secondary school. It breaks down when one realises that numbers can't be divided by zero which is what you have done. The rules of mathematics always apply and can't be ignored.

Indalo
The mathematics is absolutely correct. There's no tricks or mistakes. It merely proves that 2 is indeed equal to one sometimes.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The mathematics is absolutely correct. There's no tricks or mistakes. It merely proves that 2 is indeed equal to one sometimes.
Afraid not, this is a well known mathematical fallacy. You'll find it reproduced about a fifth of the way down this Wikipedia page on Mathematical Fallacies for example.