Enthusiastic Forum !

D

Deleted member 4366

Afraid not, this is a well known mathematical fallacy. You'll find it reproduced about a fifth of the way down this Wikipedia page on Mathematical Fallacies for example.
I recall going in to my boss for my annual review. I had worked very hard during the year. I'd exceeded all targets set, done loads of overtime for no pay and had no time off sick, so I was expecting a good rise.
The boss started of "Times are hard......... etc" and to cut a long story short, he told me that my annual rise was 0%, i.e nothing! I told him that it wasn't enough and I was very disappointed in the way he valued my contribution, so he had a think and then said that he could see my point, so after a bit of thought, he said, "OK, If I double your pay rise will you be happier?"

In this case two times my pay rise was the same as one times. This is all that the maths proves, which is quite correct.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
The mathematics is absolutely correct. There's no tricks or mistakes. It merely proves that 2 is indeed equal to one sometimes.
I suggest you argue your case with someone who has a degree in mathematics. You are not the first person to have had fun with that type of premise but you know that it's wrong. That is why one has to look to the rules of maths to understand what is actually happening and how it can be avoided.

If, of course, you still wish to pretend you're right for whatever reason, then it's true what they say: "There's none so blind as those who will not see!"

Indalo

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This is all that the maths proves, which is quite correct.
Unfortunately the wikipedia author only pointed out the function by zero flaw, not saying how the overall calculation arose. In fact the flaw is in line one:

Line one is not a presentation of two characters of equal value since it is in fact an algebraic equation, shown by the conversion to numerical values at the conclusion of the "proof". Since that shows "a" is a numeric value, the first line of this algebraic equation has to be a = a, since if "a" is a number, lets say 1, the equation has to be 1 = 1, expressed as a = a. It cannot be a = b since "b" in algebra cannot have the same numeric value as "a". Therefore the first line is a confidence trick to enable the rest of a plausible construct.

My second proof is that since this is an equation of single and equal numeric values on the sides of an equation, we already have the numeric conclusion which closes the equation. The function of algebra in equations is to resolve an imbalance of known factors, so as there is no such imbalance in the first line, the use of algebra is invalid and it's used here only to produce the smokescreen.

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
It merely proves that 2 is indeed equal to one sometimes.
I am not a mathematician but that premise is patently a logical absurdity. Numbers were invented by human beings as a description of an object or a number of objects. This quantity was defined as one, that as two. Any attempt to make one equal to two is just toying with language. Any attempt to prove it by any means will therefore either be wrong or fail.

It reminds me of that old thing that seems to baffle some people about firing an arrow at a target. After 2 seconds it is 10 metres from the target, after 4 second 5 metres and so on, always halving but it never reaches the target. The problem is that if you watch the arrow it will hit the target so any attempt to show that it doesn't is pointless and absurd and must fail.

As Bob Dylan wrote, 'you don't have to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows'.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
And they say WOMEN are pedantic and argumentative........
we are obviously just beginners..........:D :D

Lynda :)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Oh I'm not arguing Lynda, just explaining that I'm right. :)
Oh dear....I hope I live to see the day when you men finally, finally, realise the REAL truth in this world .....

WOMEN are ALWAYS right :D :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Absolutely true Lynda.

In the genteel days of the 19th century, etiquette demanded that a gentleman could never say a lady was wrong, only that she had been misinformed.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Haha Flecc.....and just WHO would have misinformed us in the first place....hmmmm ?

Lemmy.....so pleased you have been well trained :D :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Haha Flecc.....and just WHO would have misinformed us in the first place....hmmmm ?
The logic of the etiquette is that the misinformation cannot be from a lady, but it could be from a woman.

This is because the origin of this etiquette is in the 18th century when lady and woman were not synonyms.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
It truly has dawned on me that life really *is* too short. :rolleyes:

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
It truly has dawned on me that life really *is* too short. :rolleyes:
Lies. Its the longest thing you'll ever own.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Not really, when you've got more years behind you than in front the realisation sinks in ;)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Bit of a mischievous little 'devil ' today Flecc arent you .......work, idle hands and all that.....your quote, not mine ! :D :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Mischief is my middle name! :p

Not idle though, just got in from an over one hour walk.