Hall sensor connection

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Hi all,

I have a new KT controller which has 6 hall sensor wires, but my motor has only 5. I need to change the connector. Which wires go together?

Pic attached.

Thanks.
6 wires in the connector, but not all hall sensor wires.

The red and black are 5V and GND, the blue, green and yellow are the three hall sensor wires and the sixth white wire is from an internal speed sensor. That's the one to 'ignore unless its needed', get the others connected to get the motor going.

Your second pic does mention it in the third box down.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
6 wires in the connector, but not all hall sensor wires.

The red and black are 5V and GND, the blue, green and yellow are the three hall sensor wires and the sixth white wire is from an internal speed sensor. That's the one to 'ignore unless its needed', get the others connected to get the motor going.
Thank You!

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
If you have a white wire, it’s for the speed sensor in some motors and temperature sensor in others. Some controllers don’t accommodate either.

For the hall wires the usual colour combinations are:
Red = +5v for all of the hall sensors
Black = Gnd for all of the hall sensors
Yellow, Blue & Green are the phase signal outputs from each hall sensor.

They may or may not match the Yellow, Blue & Green inputs into the controller. Same applies for the three phase wires for the coils.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You need the white wire otherwise your speed won't display correctly. you need to connect it to the white wire in the speed sensor connector, or you must use an external speed sensor connected there, which is more messing about.

Reactions: UrbanPuma

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
T
If you have a white wire, it’s for the speed sensor in some motors and temperature sensor in others. Some controllers don’t accommodate either.

For the hall wires the usual colour combinations are:
Red = +5v for all of the hall sensors
Black = Gnd for all of the hall sensors
Yellow, Blue & Green are the phase signal outputs from each hall sensor.

They may or may not match the Yellow, Blue & Green inputs into the controller. Same applies for the three phase wires for the coils.
I've changed the pins. Pic attached. I about to connect to the 5 pin jst connector to match the motor end. Are you saying these wires may not match by color? If so, how do I check before connecting. Many thanks too AGS.

Attachments

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
You need the white wire otherwise your speed won't display correctly. you need to connect it to the white wire in the speed sensor connector, or you must use an external speed sensor connected there, which is more messing about.
Thanks Saneagele, but I think the speed wire is the image at the bottom, no? It has a female and male to connect separate from this one in the hall sensor connector. Could you clarify? Thanks

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks Saneagele, but I think the speed wire is the image at the bottom, no? It has a female and male to connect separate from this one in the hall sensor connector. Could you clarify? Thanks
I don't understand what you're saying.

There's a white wire in the motor cable. You connect it to the white wire in the three pin speed sensor connector, which has probably got red, white and black wires in it, but be careful, they sometimes use the same colours for the throttle.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
I've just connected everything and now the battery switches on when I turn the power key, even without the bike wires being connected to controller. What could be wrong?

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
I don't understand what you're saying.

There's a white wire in the motor cable. You connect it to the white wire in the three pin speed sensor connector, which has probably got red, white and black wires in it, but be careful, they sometimes use the same colours for the throttle.
There is a white wire in with the throttle

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
There isn't a white wire in the motor cable coming from my bike. Only 5 (red, black, yellow, green, blue). Only the new controller has the white wire. My throttle only has 3 wires (red, black, green). Not sure what you mean.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
I have an issue with the battery now. I'm totally confused with this controller. Battery light comes on automatically (bypassing the on-off key) when I connect the red power connector. Anyone able to help explain why this is happening?

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
There isn't a white wire in the motor cable coming from my bike. Only 5 (red, black, yellow, green, blue). Only the new controller has the white wire. My throttle only has 3 wires (red, black, green). Not sure what you mean.
In that case you have to use an external speed sensor.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I have an issue with the battery now. I'm totally confused with this controller. Battery light comes on automatically (bypassing the on-off key) when I connect the red power connector. Anyone able to help explain why this is happening?
We haven't a clue what you've done. you need to show us all the wires and wiring, and what stuff you have. What do you mean by on/off key?

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
In that case you have to use an external speed sensor.
Thanks for your response, Saneagle. The display is working and says "error code 03 infor" which indicates it's the hall sensors. I think it's because of the extra white wire. How do I connect it externally? Make a single connector and thread it to the speed sensor?

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
We haven't a clue what you've done. you need to show us all the wires and wiring, and what stuff you have. What do you mean by on/off key?
On-off key on my battery indicates when power is switched on. When I connect red power wires the indicator light comes on stays on without me inserting or switching on the key. Only once I unplug the wire does the light go off.

The problem vanishes if I connect old controller and battery works normally by switching on and off using the key, so I'm assuming battery is lighting up due to speed sensor wire not being connected and giving "error code 03 info" on the display as it seemed to work normally on this new controller too until I fitted new 5-pin connector to hall sensors and left out the white speed sensor wire as it's not part of my hall wires on the bike.

Bottom pic throttle is connected. There are two connectors adjacent: PAS and speed sensor. Not sure which one to plug my cadence connector (top left) into - the one with matching colours? And if so, what do I do with white sensor wire in top pic?

Any help appreciated, thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
You have no choice but to ignore the white wire for the time being as your motor doesn’t have a speed sensor fitted there is nothing you can do about it at the moment. You can always fit an external speed sensor if you can’t get the controller to work properly.

KT controllers have different wiring configurations, depending upon model and supplier. Some come with provision for the white speed sensor wire and some don’t. And there are other wires that may or may not be provided.

Looking at the photos, your controller doesn’t have the wiring coming out for cruise control, lighting, speed control, key lock or regenerative braking either.

You may be able to get away without the white wire because some KT controller configurations don’t rely upon a speed signal from the white wire and instead get speed information elsewhere and that is part of the configuration procedure for the P settings that you will have to do after you get your motor spinning correctly. P2 is an alternative method for calculating speed if your motor has an additional set of speed sensing magnets fitted that the hall sensors can read.

You have two other problems apart from the white wire. Error code 03 is a hall sensor wiring issue that may be a bad connection when you crimped and connected your hall wires from the motor, so check your new wiring first.

The battery must be supplying power to the KT controller without the key switch needing to be operated otherwise your display wouldn’t work. Although you should try to trace out the key switch wiring to determine how it is connected to your old controller. It may be a key lock for the controller, which is a useful feature because you can power off the controller using the key without removing the battery.

Your cadence sensor goes in to the PAS connector (brown, black and yellow). You can’t do anything about the other speed sensor connector yet (Red, white and black) because you have nothing on the bike to plug into it.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Buy yourself a cheap wheel speed sensor and spoke magnet and wire it to the Red/5v, Black/Gnd, and White/Sig speed sensor connector.
Brown/ 5v, Black /Gnd and Yellow /Sig is for PAS.

KT controller throttle wire colours are Red/5v , Black/Gnd and Blue/Sig, the Blue connects to throttle White.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks for your response, Saneagle. The display is working and says "error code 03 infor" which indicates it's the hall sensors. I think it's because of the extra white wire. How do I connect it externally? Make a single connector and thread it to the speed sensor?
That's nothing to do with the white wire. You can leave the white wire disconnected, and you won't get any errors. It only affects the speed display.

When the light comes on, it's because of what that switch does and how it's wired. Probably, the old wiring went through an ignition wire that you don't need anymore.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you have 03 error then either one has a faulty motor hall or a wire connection, also check the motor connector is fully pushed home . A damaged Hall wire can also give the fault so inspect the motor wire as well.

Tbh we seem to get a lot of folks with KT issues, yet in all the years I have used KT I have never yet had an issue with installation. They have to be the most simple kits to fit and imv the best value after market kit to fit.
Any issue is down to user fitting error or simply not reading the simple wire /connection charts that come with each controller kit.