Hello i am Neil from Lakeland

Lakeland

Pedelecer
Feb 10, 2014
Hello i am Neil. i live next to the Lake District and i am looking for a new Ebike. I have been looking thru the forum for a few days now and the amount of choices is boggling to say the least. I am reasonably fit but want a long range light weight ebike,preferably around the 20kg mark with some sort of recharging of the battery when going downhill and / or breaking. Any advice would be warmly appreciated

Last edited:

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Morning Neil,

If you want regenerative braking, you're looking at a direct drive hub motor.

Try searching for information on those... Then decide if that's what floats your boat, considering where you intend using it.

Lakeland

Pedelecer
Feb 10, 2014
Hi Jackhandy, many thanks for the info, I need a long range bike that will also climb big hills of 20-25% in some cases for around the north west lakes and beyond. My last bike had a back wheel 8fun hub but the battery started to dissipate way to quickly and was just too heavy. I have had a go on a ktm recently which was a good climber but not as fast. And after a few days of reading thru the forums i have started to lean towards the bs10 endeavour with the modification as in this video:

I may change my mind though, as the choices out there are staggering. My only concern seems to be the small battery with most makes, but lighter is surely gonna mean less battery use?

Last edited:

Lakeland

Pedelecer
Feb 10, 2014
It appears that video links don't work on here so try youtube for this title by a user called TheAegisClaw:
Leonardi Factory General Lee bicycle cassette adapter

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
The ktm e-race P & other "P" models might be worth a look:
Said to be very quick & to climb well.

Otherwise a decent bike & one of the more powerful kits, perhaps.

Can't say I quite understand how the Kalkhof S-pedelecs seem to have the advantages claimed for them, when Bosch appear to state they have no more grunt than standard - Just quicker top speed o_O

Or have I got hold of the wrong end?

D

Deleted member 4366

If you do the same journeys in the same conditions with the same pedal effort on different bikes, you'll go approximately the same distance with the same size battery. There's two ways you can go further: Pedal harder, or get a bigger battery, which will be heavier. The weight of the battery won't make much difference to consumption, since going from a 10 aH to 20 aH 36v battery only adds 3kg, which is 2% to 3% of the overall mass of you and the bike, so will make the same or less difference overall - maybe one mile range difference in the worst case.

Lakeland

Pedelecer
Feb 10, 2014
I was looking at the KTM e race p ...is that the Panasonic hub 47v 8.8.? Looks interesting but why not an 11ah like other KTM Bosch bike's have? ..good to know the weight factor helps a lot. My last one has been returned after 5 months with a full refund so am on lookout for a quality build. KTM kalkhof look good as does cube.any others I should check out?

D

Deleted member 4366

It has more volts, so doesn't need so many amp-hours. It's watt-hours that matter: Bosh 418wH; Panasonic 414wH, so more or less the same.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Lakeland,

Welcome to the forum.

Having been brought up on a farm just to the west of Penrith, I know from personal experience the terrain that you are riding over.

Our eZee bikes are available with battery capacities up to 28Ah, 1008Wh.
There is also the option of a dual battery set up which could increase capacity by a further 14Ah to a massive 42Ah, 1512Wh.

The 28Ah batteries were used on an epic trek across Australia last year.

Closer to home, we have customer from Sheffield who does some extreme rides. He has non powered bike with an eZee conversion kit and carries 4 x 14Ah batteries with him on long distance rides. The penalty for this is the additional weight, 4 x 14Ah batteries come to 15.2Kg.

These are exceptional examples, but the point is range and terrain need not be a problem.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Regen is not an effective energy source. Unless you are happy to go down hill slowly using regent on full as only break the returned energy is minimal. Bigger batteries more sweat all do more for the rangeo_O

Reactions: Cyclezee

Lakeland

Pedelecer
Feb 10, 2014
Well I'm even more confused about what i want/need now. The more i keep reading on this site the more i keep changing my mind. So at the mo i am leaning towards having 2 bikes now. HAha!!! I (think) am wanting a bosch driven system for hill climbing and a rear hub drive for lazy long distance all weather cycling. Maybe i could build the latter myself. For any long range with a Mid drive sysytem like bosch i would also be needing to carry a spare 400watt battery. Lots of hills everywhere i go so i cant see me getting far with just 400Wh's. Can anyone give an estimate to how long a 400watt bosch battery will go in a hilly terrain with an 70+kg (not that fit smoker and drinker)rider on something like a KTM Macina Action 27?;)

I have looked at many brands and the KTM range stood out for me.The Macina Action looked good as did the Panasonic eRace P27 with 47v, but both have small battery ranges though and for a hilly area and a not so fit rider as far as i can see would almost certainly need me to be carrying a spare battery. (cost factor huge now!)

It would also be nice to see a comparison of the Macina Action versus the Panasonic eRace P27 to see how far they go in exact conditions with very similar riders/weight health etc.

My budget is limited to around 2k but would prefer to spend alot less. Any suggestions other than the "known" brands as its not do-able with extra batteries needed on my budget.

Lakeland

Pedelecer
Feb 10, 2014

Lakeland

Pedelecer
Feb 10, 2014
Hi Lakeland,

Welcome to the forum.

Having been brought up on a farm just to the west of Penrith, I know from personal experience the terrain that you are riding over.

Our eZee bikes are available with battery capacities up to 28Ah, 1008Wh.
There is also the option of a dual battery set up which could increase capacity by a further 14Ah to a massive 42Ah, 1512Wh.

The 28Ah batteries were used on an epic trek across Australia last year.

Closer to home, we have customer from Sheffield who does some extreme rides. He has non powered bike with an eZee conversion kit and carries 4 x 14Ah batteries with him on long distance rides. The penalty for this is the additional weight, 4 x 14Ah batteries come to 15.2Kg.

These are exceptional examples, but the point is range and terrain need not be a problem.
Hi, Do you have any pics of what one with a 28ah battery looks like? i have looked through the range but cant see the one that can take the dual batteries or have i misunderstood?