Hello i am Neil from Lakeland

Lakeland

Pedelecer
Feb 10, 2014
As you say - I have 514-ish watt/hours on my high-torque trecker & it gives me about 40 miles on mixed terrain.

Can the e-race p be supplied with a bigger battery?
Hi, that range would just about do me. Is yours a kit bike or factory made bike?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
You can't buy a BH race any more but with a lot of sweat and effort I got 38 miles out of the small 300 watt ish battery with one. With a newer bike and bigger battery and sweat any bosh should do 40 miles but any normal racer would also do this with sweat too. My electric bike gives me much improved range and delight in traveling mikes when I could have but wouldn't have cycled trips

Dave

D

Deleted member 4366

A 28aH battery is over-kill. 20aH will take you over 50 miles. The Ezee bike will climb better than a Bosch on medium hills, about the same on steep hills, and the Bosch gets an advantage on exceptionally steep hills (30% plus), which most people never encounter.

You can make one even better if you make your own. These two have 500w Bafang CST motors. they'll both blitz any Bosch in a hill-climbing contest, plus you get up to 24 mph if you want it. Both have 36v 20aH batteries that can do about 70 miles on the road.:

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Sorry - missed your reply above - Mine is an Ezee mk2 kit which I fitted in about half a day to a Trek Mamba 29er; it does about 40 miles of mixed lanes & trails on its 14ah battery. I know - I'm repeating myself now... mumble... The 29" wheels are way better rolling than 26" & the jommetry of mine makes it just as agile - In fact, I stood on the pedals to get a run-up at a nip recently & caused a tankslapper that nearly dislodged me :eek:

On Saturday I did a 20 mile round trip plus 9 miles of Blue-trail singletrack, which worked the battery hard 'cause I'm an old fart; for just over 10 ah consumed: Of course, you really don't want to drain the battery totally too often, but I reckon there was about 6-8 miles left in there.

Last edited:

Lakeland

Pedelecer
Feb 10, 2014
My previous bike was around 30kg with a 20ah battery and an 8fun hub. It flattened most hills and generally motored along on the flat at around 18 miles an hour, but there where many a time it would not get up the really big and long hills around here and i would have to get off for fear of burning out the motor and push the darn thing to the top. The bosch i assume would slowly continue past where my previous one failed without any fear of burning out the motor? Can a bosch really climb long and challenging hills?

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Yes IMHO... But try both types: You know what the 8fun does (I have one too) so you have a benchmark. Try lots.

Lakeland

Pedelecer
Feb 10, 2014
Thanks Jack,
Its difficult to get to try many types around here as there are no local electric bike dealers close to me so am trying to get some non biased assessments from the members in here. I had a go on a macina cross (2013 model) last week which was the first time i had tried a bosch and was impressed with the way it climbed but i found it rather slow in comparison to the 8fun hub. Also i was not keen on the narrow 700c's as they kept catching my foot. If i did go the bosch route it would have to be deactivated as 15mph on the flat is a little on the slow side for me. 20-25 would be just fine. How much will it eat into my range do you think? The macina action has 27.5 MTB tyres so should be about the correct size for me. Just the price is quite a lot to fork out! The ktm eRace P27 would be a great choice but limited in the range due to the terrain around where i live.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Can anyone give an estimate to how long a 400watt bosch battery will go in a hilly terrain with an 70+kg (not that fit smoker and drinker)rider on something like a KTM Macina Action 27?;)
I've flattened one in 19 miles, I imagine my bike will roll a bit better and I imagine my output will be higher than yours.

Where exactly are you based? and will you be riding Hardknott pass and Wyrnose pass? some climbs will easily consume half your battery, if not a bit more. I've not ridden my bike in the Lakes, but I'd be confident it would get me up any climb, I'd worry about battery capacity though, even with two batteries.

Lakeland

Pedelecer
Feb 10, 2014
I've flattened one in 19 miles, I imagine my bike will roll a bit better and I imagine my output will be higher than yours.

Where exactly are you based? and will you be riding Hardknott pass and Wyrnose pass? some climbs will easily consume half your battery, if not a bit more. I've not ridden my bike in the Lakes, but I'd be confident it would get me up any climb, I'd worry about battery capacity though, even with two batteries.
I would like to but i think by the time i got to any of them my battery would be flat(although if i could get onto any lake bus services that accept bikes it could be possible) I live just outside the lake district national park in Cockermouth.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Thait would have to be deactivated as 15mph on the flat is a little on the slow side for me. 20-25 would be just fine. How much will it eat into my range do you think? .
Unfortunately, if you keep the assist on to 25mph it'll slaughter your range - on any bike... Unless you contrive to go downhill all the time :oops:

C

Cyclezee

Cheers, i know the place and have visited a few times but its a long way from me.i am on the opposite side towards the west coast.
It's only 30 miles from Cockermouth to Penrith, but if they don't have what you want you are a long way from another dealer.

Incidentally, my wife went to Cockermouth Grammar School, no jokes please, I've heard them all before;)

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Unfortunately, if you keep the assist on to 25mph it'll slaughter your range - on any bike... Unless you contrive to go downhill all the time :oops:
I don't find that at all, I was rarely able to ride above the assist limit, so I just go a lot faster for a similar energy expenditure.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I don't find that at all, I was rarely able to ride above the assist limit, so I just go a lot faster for a similar energy expenditure.
Not sure what you're saying here, Artstu:

It looks like you use derestriction to ride 10mph faster than you did before, expending the same energy & not using any more watt/hours from the battery.

Mine definitely doesn't work like that. Wind resistance alone is significant at 25mph.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
For me the wind resistance seems to be off-set by the fact that you're covering the ground more quickly, so the time factor saving evens things out for me.

Lakeland

Pedelecer
Feb 10, 2014
Out in the flat then. This range predictor works well for me and my bike http://www.electricbikerange.info/Electric_bike_range.html

So perhaps you can have a play with some routes you'd do, it only has 10 way points, but seems to work OK.
Thanks for that link Artisu, very helpful.
Been trying out routes and over the mountains from cockermouth via loweswater-enerdale-wasdale head.comes up as 57km(35 miles) Based on a bosch drive system and a 400watt battery with 74% battery usage. Those sort of rides most certainly would need a spare battery.

Reactions: Artstu